Ashamed to go to Disney without kids

I hope the OP returns to this thread, I would love to hear her opinion now after reading all the comments.

I would just look into why you are ashamed/feeling guilty. Has there been anyone in your life who told you your happy place is something to be ashamed of? And if so, how come you put so much value to their opinion that it influences your feelings/emotions on your happy place. Somehow you have created an idea how adults-only groups (or solos) should enjoy Disney and you came to realize that you are not conforming to the idea that was formed in your head.

There is not one way on how-to-do-Disney, and there is no wrong way.
If there are people in your life who do not understand how Disney can be a great place for adults, let them think that. That's their opinion. But that doesn't make your opinion wrong.
From my own experience, it can take a while before you can fully embrace your love for Disney. Give it time.

I am working on getting my degree in Marketing Communication, last night I had to give a 5-minute presentation, Ted Talk-style. I had a free choice of topic, all the briefing said was '5 minutes' and it had to do something with 'communication'. I decided to do a presentation on 'image, reputation and Disney princesses', in a Snow White Disney bound dress. Yes, I was a little worried what my classmates would think of me and the subject. But I wanted to have a topic I am passionate about, something that represented me. I couldn't have done this a few years ago I didn't have the confidence. But now I am ready to be me and accept me for who I am. Yes, I love Disney, it makes me happy, deal with it! ;-)
Oh, and my classmates loved my presentation. Afterwards, my classmates had to give feedback, and there was so much positive feedback on my choice of topic. They could see my passion and my knowledge and how that instantly improved my presentation. And they did call it awesome and brave to dress up like Snow White for it.

The real Disney best kept secret:
Disney is marketed to children/families; but in practice, it is prohibitive.

We no longer have kids that go to Disney with us. I cherish the times we had; but....
Every time I'm packing and loading/unloading the car for vacation;
Every time I see someone struggling with a stroller to get on/off a Disney bus;
Every time I am having cocktails in a lounge (and can get a seat) because there is only two of us;
Every time I can walk through the park gate without a bag;
Every time I can get that elusive fast pass or reservation or switch them up because there is only two of us;
Every time I can squeeze through the crowds to get to an attraction because there is only two of us;
Every time I split stay resorts;
Every time I can sleep late, stay up late, and be as spontaneous as I want;
Every time I want to do an adult-only activity and don't have to hire a baby sitter;
Every time I don't have to worry about children's sleeping/feeding schedules;
Every time I see a kid having a melt down, vomiting, sleeping through something special, a diaper getting changed, a mother breastfeeding, or a family member sitting on the sidelines with an infant while the rest of the family is enjoying attractions;
...I don't miss it, feel bad, feel guilty... at. all.
My wife and I are in the same situation (though we never went to Disney with our kids). It's just us and we don't have to deal with anyone else on things we want to do. Two people are easier to get reservations or FPs for things. We can easily stop what we're doing and change plans without having to please anyone else. We're going to have a lot of fun together coming back.

So true, no rushing around, doing things when we want, having a pool day if we wish or going to move than one park a day plus with the food and wine festival not worrying about attending a Italian wine tasting. Can’t do that with the kids.

I'm in my 50s, don't have children, first went to WDW when I was 31, and have never been to WDW in a group with children. Last year I spent 14 nights at WDW, stayed at Port Orleans French Quarter. I recently spend 10 nights at WDW, stayed at Beach Club. Both trips were solo. They're the best holidays I've ever had! Being able to do what I wanted, when I wanted. I had loads of photos taken with characters, just the fur ones, not the 'face' ones. I love photopass! I'm British and we get Memory Maker free with our tickets. I went to some great restaurants, had lovely meals. I got chatting to loads of people, all the Americans said how brave I was going all that way on my own for so long. But I wasn't brave, I was having a blast! I've booked to stay at Port Orleans French Quarter again next September for 11 nights, can't wait :)

Two years ago my wife and I struck up a conversation with another couple at Jock's Hanger bar. The line from that we remember to this day was from the other lady who said, upon hearing that we left our kids back in Michigan so we could go to WDW without them, "You're my spirit animals now."

Childless Millenial here- I took my second solo trip to Disney in December and decided I wanted to go all the time. So I got a job in Florida, packed up my apartment in Michigan and moved to the sunshine state. 1200 mile cross country move by myself to go to Disney whenever i wanted 😂😂😂

There is no reason to feel guilty. You are not taking a trip away from any child by going yourself, and speaking as someone who was ~very~ aware when my parents were “putting up with” the kiddy things I wanted to do and felt guilty about that from a young age, I’d even go as far as to say it’s GOOD for children to see adults having fun and loving the Disney magic! So you’re actually doing a good thing!

I know feelings like this aren’t like logical, and “that’s dumb, don’t feel like that!” Isn’t always helpful advice. I don’t think think you have anything to worry about. Disney is for EVERYONE, the young and young at heart. Go and have fun!

Last edited:

I have seen this topic discussed in other venues because of the viral facebook post that got a lot of attention about the woman going ballistic about childless adults "ruining" her little angel's time at Disney. I think it's more the fringe notion of some like that woman who take it out on others because they're having a hard time. My wife and I don't have kiddos of our own. We helped raise our nephews who are now in their late 20's and our last few trips to WDW were with my cousin, his wife and their daughter. We all had a great time as adults and their daughter loved it as well. My wife and I love going on our own though and doing everything we can.

I really don't get the negativity out there that Disney isn't an "adult" vacation place. It seems like what these people want to do is just go to an all-inclusive beach place and just sit on the beach all day and have dinner at night, rinse-and-repeat. While there can be a time for that, that really doesn't interest us that much. We take a cruise every 1-2 years and enjoy that and usually visit a US city once or twice a year where we haven't been before and do all the touristy stuff for a few days. We're planning a big Mediterranean cruise next year for a big anniversary as we've never been there and always wanted to. But I would likely trade any of those trips for a week at WDW.

We plan to be there mid-February, just the 2 of us, and enjoying the magic. My wife is a HUGE Tigger fan and she always cries when she gets to hug him at Crystal Palace breakfast and I get a bit teary eyed when I meet Stitch at Ohana or Chewie in Star Wars land.

Don't let the opinions of others or even your perceived notions of the opinions of others rob you of the joy you have at the Most Magical Place on Earth.

Like Sunelis above, I'm also very introverted, in my mid 40's, and I don't/can't have any children. I don't know many who like to go super early or mostly at night like I do. Due to skin cancer + sun-induced migraines, I need to stay clear of the sun as much as possible. I enjoy my time there alone, just taking in the sights and sounds, stores and attractions, with the occasional people-watching as well. I'm contemplating going to Mickey's Not-So-Scary tonight. It's all in good fun. Don't feel bad - there are a lot of us out there!
View attachment 444424

I dont understand....you dont have children, but you feel guilty going to disney without children? :confused3
I really dont get it.

DH and I don't have children, with no plans for any in the foreseeable future. And the couple times we've gone in extended groups with kids, I admit, I prefer traveling with adults. That being said, on our recent visits, I can't help but feel immense guilt for going without any children in tow. It feels selfish in a way, or maybe just immature? To clarify, I do NOT judge other adults visiting and enjoying their vacation, these feelings are all pointed inward and I don't know how to deal with them. Disney is our happy place and is a huge part of our lives, I don't want to stop going. We still take other 'adult' vacations, so it's not like it's because the parks are getting stale.

Does anyone else here battle with this conflict of emotions? It's difficult when I don't like to do the sorts of things most other adults at the parks seem to love like drinking or the scarier rides, and instead I'm waiting in line to meet Princess Elena with a crowd of toddlers.

I don't know how to get past this and it makes me so sad. I've talked to DH about it, but like I said, we don't want to stop going so we still go and I just deal with feeling stupid and guilty the whole time.
Get over it and go and have a ton of fun. Disney isn't about what other people do, it's about what you want to do. I rarely drink, on my last trip I didn't drink alcohol at all, I had my hot tea head on despite the high temperatures. I love to go and meet characters and when I was there there were more adults than kids wanting to meet them. Never feel guilty about your kids, they've had their fun at your expense, now it's time to spend some of your hard earned money on your trip. Peter Pan got it right; Never grow up!

Attachments

• P1140227.JPG
    P1140227.JPG
    83.3 KB · Views: 7
Oh and talking of kids. I was stood in line for Pooh and Friends in their Halloween costumes with the biggest gobshite kid, may 8-10 years old banging on loudly to anyone within earshot that they were just people in costumes. He lied!! They are really Pooh, Tigger, Eeyore and Piglet.

I dont understand....you dont have children, but you feel guilty going to disney without children? :confused3
I really dont get it.
There are people out there, some on this Board honestly, who think those without children don't 'belong' if you will at Disney. They often state Disney is for the children when in reality Walt created DL (and now we have all the other parks out there) for everyone.

I've actually seen people say on the DIS that they'll stop going to Disney when their children reach an arbitrary age because they no longer need to go there since they believe it's only for children of some arbitrary age.

We do both! We have gone just the two of us, us with our son, and us with our son and extended family! I’ve also done trips with my family without my husband and/or son! What I really want to do is take a solo trip sometime. Now that would be heaven! 😬

However you want to vacation is completely up to you! No one said Disney is for kids only. For me, you just have to be a “kid at heart” which I find in more adults than I do in most teenagers these days.... 😂

I really dont get it.

I can't speak for the poster, but I know for myself it's been about feeling like I'm taking time away from the kids waiting in line by being that extra person they have to wait behind. This is mainly related to character meets. And things like that famous facebook post tirade and NYP article highlight a mental image I once had of older people judging me while waiting in line at Princess Fairy Tale Hall. For me, it comes down to an exaggerated sense of empathy, which probably does not provide me with an accurate view of what most others are really thinking.

I myself have moved on from this mostly. There's still that twinge in the back of my mind but I've realized most people are too busy dealing with their own group to care. Or they're actually grateful to see us childless adults because it does help remind them it's not just for kids (or they at least appreciate our freedom XD). Those that do care can suck it up as we both paid to be there. I'll meet Ariel in her Grotto if I want to and the kid can take a lesson in how to wait their turn like everyone else (DAS and other such accommodations not withstanding of course).

However you want to vacation is completely up to you! No one said Disney is for kids only. For me, you just have to be a “kid at heart” which I find in more adults than I do in most teenagers these days.... 😂

I was totally that "too cool for Disney" teenager. Was kind of that adult on the first grown-up trip as we skipped a lot of the attractions we thought had more appeal to literal kids, particularly characters. But after doing the meet & greets during an unexpected solo portion (dad got a cold and started resting at the resort after a short morning in the park), I kind of realized what I personally was missing about WDW. So character meets and/or meals are now a must do. And I built in some time to go on the younger appealing rides like Dumbo, which I haven't been on since I was a kid and has scared me more than any coaster (Heights aren't my thing but I can do roller coasters because they don't give me enough time to think about them. Spoke Rides & Wave Swings...forget about it XD).

There are people out there, some on this Board honestly, who think those without children don't 'belong' if you will at Disney. They often state Disney is for the children when in reality Walt created DL (and now we have all the other parks out there) for everyone.

I've actually seen people say on the DIS that they'll stop going to Disney when their children reach an arbitrary age because they no longer need to go there since they believe it's only for children of some arbitrary age.
Thank you for explaining. I kinda figured thats what it was. I feel bad for people who do think that adults (without children) dont belong in disney. Do you know how many adults (without children) go to disney? TONS! Disney would lose a lot of money if disney were in fact only for kids. Lol.

I can't speak for the poster, but I know for myself it's been about feeling like I'm taking time away from the kids waiting in line by being that extra person they have to wait behind. This is mainly related to character meets. And things like that famous facebook post tirade and NYP article highlight a mental image I once had of older people judging me while waiting in line at Princess Fairy Tale Hall. For me, it comes down to an exaggerated sense of empathy, which probably does not provide me with an accurate view of what most others are really thinking.

I myself have moved on from this mostly. There's still that twinge in the back of my mind but I've realized most people are too busy dealing with their own group to care. Or they're actually grateful to see us childless adults because it does help remind them it's not just for kids (or they at least appreciate our freedom XD). Those that do care can suck it up as we both paid to be there. I'll meet Ariel in her Grotto if I want to and the kid can take a lesson in how to wait their turn like everyone else (DAS and other such accommodations not withstanding of course).
This is an insecurity you basically should try to overcome. You are paying to be at disney, just like everyone else. You have every right to line up to see a character, go on a ride, whatever. I've gone to disney ALONE. I have friends who go alone all the time too. We love solo trips! (Esp during food & wine). Not once have either of us felt uncomfortable or out of place....I guess because we dont have insecurities about solo adult trips like some do? Go on over to the "disney for adults and solo travelers" board. You'll see a ton of childless adults going with adult friends and solo! Its a ton of fun. I truly dont understand your guilt...but i do hope you overcome it some how. Disney is a lot of fun for everyone! :)

This is an insecurity you basically should try to overcome. You are paying to be at disney, just like everyone else. You have every right to line up to see a character, go on a ride, whatever. I've gone to disney ALONE. I have friends who go alone all the time too. We love solo trips! (Esp during food & wine). Not once have either of us felt uncomfortable or out of place....I guess because we dont have insecurities about solo adult trips like some do? Go on over to the "disney for adults and solo travelers" board. You'll see a ton of childless adults going with adult friends and solo! Its a ton of fun. I truly dont understand your guilt...but i do hope you overcome it some how. Disney is a lot of fun for everyone! :)

My second paragraph largely says I have overcome this. I'm just saying where I once was and how I can understand where some people might be coming from. I was hoping to shed light on those feelings so that you and others could have a better understanding. I'm also sharing so others know they aren't alone and encouraging them to do what they want to do to fully enjoy the parks.

I made my own MVMCP character autograph book using some $1 sticker books (thanks Dollar General & Party City), posterboard, and a small sketchbook. It very simplistic and probably looks like a kid slapped it together, but I almost feel that's kind of the point XD (I've also since gotten the castle sticker I needed so need to update). I have both Flynn Rider and Han Solo Disneybounds I'm going to wear on my upcoming trip. Trust me, I've dealt with those feelings.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter