Asheville, North Carolina

TheRealTeal

Mouseketeer
DH and I are finally starting to plan our (belated) honeymoon, and have decided to drive up to Asheville for about a week. We'll be going in April. Looking for suggestions on things to do, see, eat, experience, etc. Potentially helpful info:

~We will have just finished a 10 week run of hectic life, and are mostly looking to relax and spend time together.
~We're driving, so will have our own car for getting around.
~We already have a day set aside for Biltmore
~We like to eat healthier and don't do things like fast food or super upscale places. We like sushi, vegan places, brunch, salads and sandwiches, etc.
~Funds are NOT unlimited
~We aren't big drinkers, but wouldn't mind one or two outings for a drink
~We're a mix of indoor and outdoor people. Would love some time in nature, as well seeing the best of the city.
~We're simple, laid back, semi adventurous people looking to just have a nice time, make interesting memories, get some cool pictures, and experience things we couldn't anywhere else.

It's been several years since we were in that area, but if it's at all like I remember I think you will have no problem wandering and finding plenty of great food choices that are not upscale, fast food or incredibly costly. I believe several of the food destinations will include some with craft brews, music and art. Consider spending some time driving along the Blue Ridge Parkway for fantastic scenery.

I haven't been there since I was a teenager, but I do remember doing a ride on the steam engine train that goes up through the hills, that was scenic and relaxing (the train goes quite slow). I'm assuming they still have that but don't know for sure.

We are heading to our first Asheville trip this October and are planning the Biltmore, wine tastings, craft breweries, hiking, and a visit to the Glassblowing Studio.

The Grovepark Inn is stunning. I am not sure where you are staying but be sure to go for a drink or lunch just to take a look around. Downtown Asheville is full of stores selling stuff like soap and carved wood. It is very granola downtown. I do not care for it but my friend loves it! There are also restaurants and breweries downtown. Tupelo Honey is a decent place to have a meal. There are lots of dining choices. The Village of Biltmore has additional dining and shopping and several hotels. The stores there are along the lines of Lilly Pulitzer, William Sonoma etc.

I would not be able to stay in Asheville for a week without venturing to other areas like Cherokee for a day of gambling.

It is a beautiful area!

I haven't been there since I was a teenager, but I do remember doing a ride on the steam engine train that goes up through the hills, that was scenic and relaxing (the train goes quite slow). I'm assuming they still have that but don't know for sure.
Great Smokey Mountain Railroad.....it's great!

Even though you will have a car, I would recommend renting a place that’s walkable to downtown if possible. It’s nice to be able to walk around, get food, stop at a few breweries, etc.

I would also recommend possibly staying a few days somewhere nearby like Brevard. There are lots of parks and waterfalls in that area that are really nice if you want to just enjoy some relaxing time outdoors. (It’s about 45 min south of Asheville, so you could also just drive out there for the day if you stay in one place all week.)

The wine tasting place at the Biltmore has a wonderful place to have salads. However, the Carriage House, near the entrance is my favorite place to eat.

Just walking around downtown is fun in Asheville. And they have an improv theater that is fun.

I am just very dissapointed that my son, currently a senior, and admitted to UNC Asheville, has decided he doesn't want to go there. I was hoping for some fun get aways.

I was there in November. There’s another neat little town east of Asheville off I-40. Black Mountain is pretty artsy-fartsy, too, but smaller and homier than Asheville. It’s worth a day trip

I hate to be the Debbie Downer here but I would not spend a week here for my honeymoon, or any other vacation time. A couple of days is all we needed to see
Asheville. I wasn't even that impressed with the Biltmore Estate. It will take an hour and a half to walk through the estate if you are super slow. The grounds may take another 30 minutes but there's nothing special to see, in my opinion. We visited last August.

I feel that Asheville as a tourist destination is highly overrated. Very sweet and pretty spread out town though.

Last edited:
I hate to be the Debbie Downer here but I would not spend a week here for my honeymoon, or any other vacation time. A couple of days is all we needed to see
Asheville. I wasn't even that impressed with the Biltmore Estate. It will take an hour and a half to walk through the estate if you are super slow. The grounds may take another 30 minutes but there's nothing special to see, in my opinion. We visited last August.

I feel that Asheville as a tourist destination is highly overrated. Very sweet and pretty spread out town though.

Gotta agree here. I would be hard pressed to fill an entire day in Asheville much less a week. We've stayed at the Grove Park Inn...it's pretty but we weren't overly impressed. It's just a big OLD hotel. The Biltmore is also pretty...we did a walking tour with a private tour group and were bored to tears after an hour.

DH took me recently for Birthday. Just a one night layover with our DDs. But we had a nice yummy dinner at a French place called Bouchon.

Last edited:
If you want to stay busy and entertained in Asheville, you'll get bored after a couple of days. None of it takes a long time to see because it's just not that big of a place. Biltmore is half day - at most - and that includes time in the Antler Village shopping area, walking the gardens, dining, etc. in addition to the house.

We have done many overnights there and found plenty to do for 2 days (we love the brewery's, though) but we did spend a week in the area at a cabin outside of town. You can go hiking, rafting, sit on your porch and read for hours, watch the deer, etc. A very slow paced getaway. If you combine the mountain cabin thing + side visits to Asheville, it could make for a lovely trip.

We love driving the Blue Ridge and there are lots of spots to pull off for photos and hikes. For dining, IMO Tupelo is overrated (and now a chain) but we really love Early Girl Eatery - especially for breakfast - and the Red Stag at the Grand Bohemian Hotel right outside the Biltmore. The arboretum is very pretty for an hour or two and the farmers market may be worth a stop, too.

I would be hard pressed to fill an entire day in Asheville much less a week

You must not drink beer :upsidedow

But, yes. A few days visiting breweries and we’re good. That’s why I recommended splitting the trip between Asheville and somewhere like Brevard.

I agree with previous posters that would not recommend staying a whole week in Asheville. We did both the town and took a drive in the mountains, as a day trip from Charlotte.

You must not drink beer :upsidedow

But, yes. A few days visiting breweries and we’re good. That’s why I recommended splitting the trip between Asheville and somewhere like Brevard.

We do not LOL. Or wine. The appeal and/or charm of Asheville is completely lost on the unsophisticated types like us (DH has no facial hair or wallet chain and no skinny jeans either). And no lie I literally watched 2 drum circles break out last time we were there. A little too hippy dippy for us, though we did enjoy that aspect as kitsch.

Go to the Pinball museum. $15 admission gets you unlimited play for the pinball and classic arcade games.

I really liked the Biltmore estate, I’ve been twice and have not been bored by it. We got the audio tour which absolutely you should do.

Right now I’m reading https://www.amazon.com/Last-Castle-...6192916&sr=8-1&keywords=biltmore+estate+books. And I’ve read https://www.amazon.com/Lady-Hill-Bi...6192916&sr=8-4&keywords=biltmore+estate+books. They will add greatly to your enjoyment of the estate because it gives the history of the house and grounds.

We spent a couple of hours viewing the house, then eating lunch on the grounds and visiting the winery. It was a full day for us. I guess it depends on what you like to do but I enjoy history and museums.

Everyone has different ideas of what they enjoy doing.

It's funny because I could easily spend a week in the Asheville area (or the Boone area). I love taking drives on the Blue Ridge Parkway with no destination in mind, just driving along and enjoying the beautiful views, stopping whenever I want.

Check out Mount Mitchell (highest point east of the Mississippi)
You're about an hour from Linville Falls, you can do the falls and the caverns
On the day you go to Linville you might also want to check out the emerald mine in Little Switzerland. https://theemeraldmine.com/
Check out craggy gardens, a beautiful area and not too far outside of Asheville.

Just be aware when travelling around in the mountains, it takes longer to get to everywhere than you think it will! Something that's only 20 miles a way might take 45 minutes to get to because of the slow, winding roads. I love it because I like driving and I just love the NC mountains so it doesn't bother me but sometimes the people I'm with aren't too happy about how long it takes to get places!

Also, Asheville is known for two things, arts and breweries! Stroll around checking out the arts district and definitely hit up a few breweries!

We're headed to Asheville in a few months for a 3 night stay at Grove Park Inn (I'm so excited to finally be staying here.) We'll do a day wandering downtown, a day at Biltmore, and spare time will be devoted to relaxing at the hotel or taking a drive.

Last time we went, we stayed at Hotel Indigo downtown which was a great location. Downtown is relaxed and walkable, and there are a ton of restaurants and bars to try out-- all kinds of food from healthy to unhealthy! We can easily spend a whole day just exploring there.

Driving the Blue Ridge Pkwy is a nice little day trip, too, but last time we went (March a few years ago) it was closed due to snow.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter