Asked Twice about Ticket for Two Year Old

My niece is a big girl. We had a couple of CMs ask back when she was 2 but didn't have any problems. She is 5 now but looks 8, literally towers over everyone in her class.

Don't sweat it. My DS1 is a big boy - 13 and 6ft. tall now. And when we took him at that age we got the same question throughout the trip. I tried not to let it bother me--I know he's big and looks older, and like previous posters said, I'm sure people try to cheat the system all the time. Don't let it get to you!

We went when my youngest was 2.75 yrs old, he was average height (36") for his age. For a solid month before we went he kept saying he was 4 just to be funny. Needless to say I was concerned this would be an issue. He was asked his age a few times on the trip and always replied, "I'm a teenager!"

I'm thinking, it might make sense to go by height since that determines what rides you can or can't do. Perhaps --

Under 36" -- Free
36-40" -- 50% Off
40-48" -- 25% Off
Over 48" -- Full Price

While it seems like a good idea, it would be a nightmare for families with kids on the border. It was hard making FPs not knowing if my son will be tall enough in May. If I had to base a ticket on that, oy. The measuring in would be stressful.

I'm thinking, it might make sense to go by height since that determines what rides you can or can't do. Perhaps --

Under 36" -- Free
36-40" -- 50% Off
40-48" -- 25% Off
Over 48" -- Full Price

Wouldn’t work. How would you purchase tickets in advance for FP without having any clue how tall the child will be or if they’ll have a growth spurt or not? And having to measure every kid walking into the park? Total nightmare.

Age is the way to go and it’s here to stay. Someday they’ll probably just do away with free under 3 altogether. So many people break the rule. It’s pretty sad that people are not accountable. My DD just turned 3 and I would never ever try to sneak her in as a 2 year old for our upcoming trip.

ETA: OP, all they can do is ask. You should not be insulted by the question. The truth is that every day there are kids in the park whose parents didn’t pay for them. I would just tell them the truth and move on.

Last edited:

Under 36" -- Free
36-40" -- 50% Off
40-48" -- 25% Off
Over 48" -- Full Price

I can see real problems with this...

You purchase a package online three months before your trip. Your 38" child has a growth spurt and shoots up three inches - do they measure your child at the entrance and make you pay the difference at the gate?

Your child measured 35.75 inches at home that morning. The fellow at the gate says he's actually 36" and is insisting you purchase a ticket for him. So you do. But when he's measured again at the entrance of the Barnstormer, he's suddenly just 35.5", and now you're feeling completely ripped off.

Not to mention, the child-measurement line to get into the parks would be even worse than the bag check lines! "Just slouch a little, sweetie, and we can get you in for free!" "I insist my child be measured in bare feet!" "You should subtract at least two inches for her hair." "I demand to speak to a supervisor!"

Ugh, I hate reading stuff like this. My son is not yet 2.5 and he was measured at 35.75 inches (and 31.5 lbs) without shoes at the doctor the other day. We are going in October, the week before he turns 3. I have no idea how much he will grow between now and then, and I hope I don’t run into issues, either at the gate or at the restaurants. It doesn’t help that my husband and I are both short (I’m 5’3 and he’s 5’5). It looks as though my son may have gotten my dad’s tall gene!

Why do you object so much to being asked? Seeing as the only other way is to have everybody bring a birth certificate. Not everybody can properly estimate the age of a 2 year old. Just say, no, he's 2 or 2 and a half or his birthday is in a week or whatever.

Why do you object so much to being asked? Seeing as the only other way is to have everybody bring a birth certificate. Not everybody can properly estimate the age of a 2 year old. Just say, no, he's 2 or 2 and a half or his birthday is in a week or whatever.

I felt the same way... Why is this person so shocked the cast member was doing their job? They aren’t mind readers, and know what age your kids are.

You can run into just the opposite problem. My poor mother is only 4'10" tall and looks much younger than her age. She was 23 and the mother of 3 and a bank teller once told her she would have to go get her father to cash a check (she looked like 12-13 until she was 30 years old). My parents cheated the system for years at the movies and restaurants because no one believe her.

Ugh, I hate reading stuff like this. My son is not yet 2.5 and he was measured at 35.75 inches (and 31.5 lbs) without shoes at the doctor the other day. We are going in October, the week before he turns 3. I have no idea how much he will grow between now and then, and I hope I don’t run into issues, either at the gate or at the restaurants. It doesn’t help that my husband and I are both short (I’m 5’3 and he’s 5’5). It looks as though my son may have gotten my dad’s tall gene!

I doubt you'll run into any issues. They'll ask, you'll answer. Even if a castmember thinks you're lying, there's nothing they can do about it other than frown suspiciously at you. And chances are good they won't even do that.

If it makes you feel better, you can always bring his birth certificate, though no one will ask you to produce it.

And if your son can speak clearly, you can even teach him to say, "I'm two!" and hold up two fingers, whenever he's asked his age.

"Does your little one have a ticket?"

"No, he doesn't need one," Turn to child, "How old are you?"

"I'm two!"

Big smiles all around, and comments about what a clever and/or big boy he is.

If I were you, I would simply be ready to answer the question.

I just don't see it as a big deal.

Although are the people who are cheating (and know they are cheating) really going to answer the CM "Oh, she's 3. She DOES need a ticket? My bad, I'll just buy her one now"? Of course not, they are going to say "she's 2" with a straight face and carry on.
That’s why they don’t ask the parents; they ask the kid (at least if the kid is old enough to respond).

Yea I don't see the issue of a CM asking for ages. I have petite kids and they are always shocked that we buy them tickets. My second will be freshly 3 when we go on our next trip and I already have an AP waiting to activate for her. Just answer and move on.

I'm thinking, it might make sense to go by height since that determines what rides you can or can't do.

But there are plenty of things young kids and short people can do at Disney, so to have things based on height doesn’t make a huge amount of sense. And then there are attractions that people might not want to ever do even if they are big enough for them. Any special ticket for them? Etc.

We went when my youngest was 2.75 yrs old, he was average height (36") for his age. For a solid month before we went he kept saying he was 4 just to be funny. Needless to say I was concerned this would be an issue. He was asked his age a few times on the trip and always replied, "I'm a teenager!"

And that is 1000% normal for kids of that age (my nearly 3 year old would randomly say he was 9, for instance), so a cm who has been on the job longer than a week knows it.

Unless you consider *a question* as being an issue worth dreading, there will be no issue.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter