Asking for Opinions

jackemail

Disney Veteran
I’ve never been to Disneyland, even though I am a seasoned WDW vet.

Planning on a solo trip to Disneyland in May.

I am debating 2 options.

Shall I go it alone, OR book an adults-only “Adventures by Disney” to Disneyland? (The tour includes 6 days in California, 11 meals, Day1 & 2 at Hollywood Hotel with tours of Hollywood and Jim Henson Studio, Day 3 a Disney Imagineering tour and check in to Grand Californian , Day 4 at Disneyland including a backstage tour and reserved seating for fireworks, Day 5 at DCA with seating at World of Color).

Opinions welcomed.

I love the sound of that tour, although I think a 3rd park day would be more ideal. Depends on how interested you are in the non-park / Los Angeles stuff.

I’d go alone. Mostly because I don’t like to be tied to any sort of schedule when I’m on a trip. There are a lot of people on this forum that go alone. You might find that there are others you could meet up with for part of the day yet not holding you to a full 6 day schedule.

The ABD is absolutely amazing, but I wouldn’t do it as your first ever trip to Disneyland. The trip is packed full of things, so by the end of it I was exhausted!

The ABD is absolutely amazing, but I wouldn’t do it as your first ever trip to Disneyland. The trip is packed full of things, so by the end of it I was exhausted!
Did you find any other negatives about the ABD...other than what you just noted?

I'd do it alone. I do solo trips several times a year (only one last year since we had a big family trip to WDW). I love my solo trips, because I can single ride, sit and drink beer for 30 minutes if I want, eat only churros one day, go rope drop to fireworks, do whatever I want, as I please. When DH or DD go with me, I don't get those simple pleasures. The tour sounds great, but I love my agenda-free days at the park!

I'd do it alone. I do solo trips several times a year (only one last year since we had a big family trip to WDW). I love my solo trips, because I can single ride, sit and drink beer for 30 minutes if I want, eat only churros one day, go rope drop to fireworks, do whatever I want, as I please. When DH or DD go with me, I don't get those simple pleasures. The tour sounds great, but I love my agenda-free days at the park!
Thanks,

We have many DISers on this board who do solo trips. If you decide to go solo, you can do a search for threads on solo trips or start a new thread asking any and all questions. A solo trip to DLR can be super fun!

Some threads with helpful information for you:
* DLR Info/Links - Maps, Hotels, DISer Reviews, Hydroguy's tips, NEWBIE INFO here! -- one of the sticky threads at the top of the first page
From that sticky:
A DLR Guide for WDW Vets -- a classic thread and a must read!
HydroGuy Tips Compilation -- so many great threads contained here!
From that link:
Airport Proximity to DLR and Ground Transportation Information ~ 3TinksAndAnEeyore -- ask any airport and ground transportation questions here!
"HydroGuy's Hotel Rule" www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1199862
"Choosing the Right DLR Area Hotel for You" www.disboards.com/threads/choosing-the-right-hotel-for-you.3656512/ -- at DLR, it's not about on site or off site -- it's all about being close walking distance to the gates! Ask any hotel questions in that thread!
"Maxpass/Fastpass: an overview and some strategy" by @Skyegirl1999 - www.disboards.com/threads/maxpass-fastpass-an-overview-and-some-strategy.3726246/ -- DLR doesn't have FP+, we have MP and legacy FP -- read through this superthread and ask all MP questions here!

Planning on a solo trip to Disneyland in May.

I am debating 2 options.

Shall I go it alone, OR book an adults-only “Adventures by Disney” to Disneyland?
I’ve been to DL 200+ times and I’ve never heard of ABD. Guess I don’t know everything about DL ;-).

I just looked at the site. Wow, sounds very expensive for what you get. I’ve traveled a lot - 30 counties in my life. 39, if you count repeats. Nearly every time I’ve gone solo. I like the idea of being totally self-reliant. Accordingly, I’ve never - and probably never will - done a package tour. I don’t like the idea of being led around and being shown what someone else has decided I should see. I’m not critical of these things. I simply like to go my own way. I have done walking tours when I’ve been overseas. There’s nothing wrong with someone sharing their knowledge. But. overall I like to make my own choices and choose my own path. Even if it’s not always successful.

Now: I’ve been to DL many times, as I‘ve said. About 98% of my trips I’ve done solo. I love people - I’m an inveterate extrovert - but there are certain advantages to doing DL on your own, one of which is it’s much easier to get around; you can weave in and out of groups easily. You can also do exactly as you like when you like. Is it nice to be with other people? Sure, without a doubt. But sometimes it’s also nice to be alone. In fact, when you become a regular, you begin to recognize a number of people who come on their own often.

One note: I can understand how people who are used to being with friends/family most of the time may be concerned that they’ll get lonely on their own. Maybe, maybe not. The great thing about DL is that it’s very easy not to feel alone. I talk with CMs often and ask their favorite stories/anecdotes about things they’ve experienced in the park. Most are surprisingly willing to talk about such things, maybe because guests don’t often ask. Also, it’s usually easy to strike up a conversation in line with other guests. I’ve found that most people are receptive, just as long as I don’t go overboard. A little conversation is nearly always welcomed.

I go to the DL parks solo a lot. I always enjoy myself whether I am there solo or with people I know. There are always people to talk to, but it is also really nice to sit down and people watch too to pass the time!

I also go to WDW solo too, although I often meet up with friends there!

And hi Jackie! Long time, no see!

I go to the DL parks solo a lot. I always enjoy myself whether I am there solo or with people I know. There are always people to talk to, but it is also really nice to sit down and people watch too to pass the time!

I also go to WDW solo too, although I often meet up with friends there!

And hi Jackie! Long time, no see!
Hey, Kristin! What a nice surprise.

I haven’t been able to go anywhere in years because I was my parents’ caregiver. Now that I am able to travel, WDW has lost its pull on me, for some reason.

I’m ready to try Disneyland! Just have to decide how I want to do it.

Hey, Kristin! What a nice surprise.

I haven’t been able to go anywhere in years because I was my parents’ caregiver. Now that I am able to travel, WDW has lost its pull on me, for some reason.

I’m ready to try Disneyland! Just have to decide how I want to do it.

I am sure you will love Disneyland. I still go to WDW twice a year but a lot is due to it being my vacation since I live so local to Disneyland and go a lot. You can PM if you have specific questions.

Thanks to all for input. After much discussion, I changed the whole plan. I’ll be taking my daughter, son-in-law, and 3 (almost grown ) grandkids end of May.

If I love it as much as I used to love Disneyworld, I’ll go back by myself on an Adventures by Disney trip in September.

Thanks to all for input. After much discussion, I changed the whole plan. I’ll be taking my daughter, son-in-law, and 3 (almost grown ) grandkids end of May.

If I love it as much as I used to love Disneyworld, I’ll go back by myself on an Adventures by Disney trip in September.
Sounds great so the only thing I’ll add as you have visited WDW several times is don’t underestimate how long you will need for Disneyland. Some who are used to WDW think DL only needs a couple of days but get at least 3 day tickets, 4 or 5 are better and don’t cost that much more.

You may be well aware of this, just wanted to point it out just in case.

I vote for go it alone. For something like a first trip to Europe I would absolutely use a package but DL is easy to navigate.
Hope you have a great time!

Personally, I'd go solo, however, that ABD trip is totally awesome. They get behind the scenes look at things that are really cool. The Henson studios tour is really good. If it were going to Walt Disney Studios too, I'd probably say go for that. ABD goes above and beyond on their trips. Their guides are totally awesome. There are a couple tours I want to do from them eventually.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter