Assistance/ tips for potential mobility issue?

Sagacious_Sundry

Earning My Ears
Hi,
My sister and I will be travelling to Disney California at the beginning of May this year and we are incredibly excited. However, my sister suffers from an as-yet undiagnosed medical problem. She near constantly experiences shortness of breath, exhaustion, dizziness, and often faints, and these symptoms are especially exacerbated by heat and by standing for increasingly short periods of time. She is starting to use a cane and is determined to make the most of our visit to Disney, but I am concerned that it might be too much for her, and I am wondering if it might make sense to rent a mobility scooter or a wheelchair.

Since she doesn't have an official diagnosis yet, will this be a problem? We can provide a letter from her consultant and GP to explain why she might need assistance. Is this something we might be able to sort on the day, or even later on into the day if she feels ok for the first few hours? If not, do the parks have any sort of program in place where I could queue for the both of us while she sits somewhere cool, and have her join me when I reach the front? Even with her cane I think the standing for a long time in a line will be detrimental to her health.

I'm sorry if I'm asking obvious questions but this is quite new to me, and I would like to be prepared. We don't want to inhibit anyone else with mobility needs from accessing what they need, and we don't want to take advantage of anything, but if anyone has any suggestions how we could possibly make this easier for her, or any tips you may personally have on dealing with similar issues while in the parks, I would greatly appreciate it. She is so excited for this trip and I just want to make sure her illness doesn't stop her enjoying herself fully.

Thank you

Hi,
My sister and I will be travelling to Disney California at the beginning of May this year and we are incredibly excited. However, my sister suffers from an as-yet undiagnosed medical problem. She near constantly experiences shortness of breath, exhaustion, dizziness, and often faints, and these symptoms are especially exacerbated by heat and by standing for increasingly short periods of time. She is starting to use a cane and is determined to make the most of our visit to Disney, but I am concerned that it might be too much for her, and I am wondering if it might make sense to rent a mobility scooter or a wheelchair.

Since she doesn't have an official diagnosis yet, will this be a problem? We can provide a letter from her consultant and GP to explain why she might need assistance. Is this something we might be able to sort on the day, or even later on into the day if she feels ok for the first few hours? If not, do the parks have any sort of program in place where I could queue for the both of us while she sits somewhere cool, and have her join me when I reach the front? Even with her cane I think the standing for a long time in a line will be detrimental to her health.

I'm sorry if I'm asking obvious questions but this is quite new to me, and I would like to be prepared. We don't want to inhibit anyone else with mobility needs from accessing what they need, and we don't want to take advantage of anything, but if anyone has any suggestions how we could possibly make this easier for her, or any tips you may personally have on dealing with similar issues while in the parks, I would greatly appreciate it. She is so excited for this trip and I just want to make sure her illness doesn't stop her enjoying herself fully.

Thank you

For mobility issues, there are scooter rental companies, or you can see if there is a wheelchair available when you arrive at the park - but TBH I'd rent the scooter for your stay just for peace of mind. As with any disability, for standard accommodations (like scooters/wheelchairs) you do not need to provide any documentation of need/medical proof. In most cases the lines at the rides have been modified to be able to handle scooters and chairs so she can sit comfortably while in line without an issue.

For mobility issues, there are scooter rental companies, or you can see if there is a wheelchair available when you arrive at the park - but TBH I'd rent the scooter for your stay just for peace of mind. As with any disability, for standard accommodations (like scooters/wheelchairs) you do not need to provide any documentation of need/medical proof. In most cases the lines at the rides have been modified to be able to handle scooters and chairs so she can sit comfortably while in line without an issue.

Oh thats great, thank you for the help! For some reason I was picturing the lines to be really narrow, but if she can sit in a wheelchair while we queue together that would be perfect

Oh thats great, thank you for the help! For some reason I was picturing the lines to be really narrow, but if she can sit in a wheelchair while we queue together that would be perfect

All the rides at DCA are accessible. Disneyland is a different story, but they have different procedures (usually a wheelchair return time, where they'll tell you to come back to the exit after the estimated time you'd have waited in line). I'd definitely look into renting a scooter off-site. If she's feeling OK, she could always park it in one area and walk around for a little.

If those symptoms occur, or start to occur when she is sitting, then I would suggest a wheelchair, not a scooter. A scooter is also more mentally draining to someone who does not use one in daily life. Constantly having to watch out for little ones running into the path of the scooter, and navigating the crowds can be fatiguing.

All the rides at DCA are accessible. Disneyland is a different story, but they have different procedures (usually a wheelchair return time, where they'll tell you to come back to the exit after the estimated time you'd have waited in line). I'd definitely look into renting a scooter off-site. If she's feeling OK, she could always park it in one area and walk around for a little.
That's great to know, is there usually someone near the entrance of the ride queue to help with this? I'll take a look into nearby rentals, thank you for your advice.

If those symptoms occur, or start to occur when she is sitting, then I would suggest a wheelchair, not a scooter. A scooter is also more mentally draining to someone who does not use one in daily life. Constantly having to watch out for little ones running into the path of the scooter, and navigating the crowds can be fatiguing.
I hadn't even considered that, thank you for the advice!

That's great to know, is there usually someone near the entrance of the ride queue to help with this? I'll take a look into nearby rentals, thank you for your advice.

Yes, there should be someone near the ride entrance who can tell you where to go and what the procedure is.

I'd agree with anonymousegirl that a wheelchair may be a better choice than a scooter if she gets dizzy or lightheaded even when sitting down - I'd initially read it as it only happened if she'd been standing for too long. If you go the wheelchair route, she might want to consider buying one so that she'd be able to use it at the airport as well, rather than relying on the sometimes awful airport service. I think there are other posters who have gone this route for around $150. I'm not sure what wheelchair rental prices are for DL, but it might be very close in price.

Hi,

Thank you

I have no input on the DL trip, but wanted to say I hope she gets a diagnosis and a treatment soon, so she has a great trip!

Yes, there should be someone near the ride entrance who can tell you where to go and what the procedure is.

I'd agree with anonymousegirl that a wheelchair may be a better choice than a scooter if she gets dizzy or lightheaded even when sitting down - I'd initially read it as it only happened if she'd been standing for too long. If you go the wheelchair route, she might want to consider buying one so that she'd be able to use it at the airport as well, rather than relying on the sometimes awful airport service. I think there are other posters who have gone this route for around $150. I'm not sure what wheelchair rental prices are for DL, but it might be very close in price.

We're planning on travelling around the state a bit before we fly back home so having a chair with us might actually be the best idea, rather than having to keep renting one. I'll have a shop around and see how my sister feels about them. Thanks for your suggestions!

I have no input on the DL trip, but wanted to say I hope she gets a diagnosis and a treatment soon, so she has a great trip!

Thank you very much for your thoughts ^.^ We still have a few months before our trip, so I'm really hoping there might be some progress by then and she will feel a bit better, fingers crossed!

If your sister will need extra time to board rides (even just a few extra moments), make sure to tell the CMs before getting into the loading area. Many/most of the rides at DLR have surprisingly short loading/unloading cycles and even taking a little longer to get into or out of the vehicle can shut down the ride. Space Mountain is a good example of this. It is very easy to alert a CM in the line that you and your sister will need a bit of extra time for loading and unloading. You will be directed to the HC loading area where you will have the time you need to get into and out of the vehicle comfortably and safely. Also, if you do get a wheelchair, check at each ride whether your sister is feeling stable enough to transfer out of the wheelchair to a ride vehicle. I know from experience that sometimes I can feel fine while sitting and waiting for a ride, but getting up to transfer can bring on dizziness unexpectedly. Some rides will allow you to stay in the wheelchair, so just ask CMs and your sister, to be safe. And, should you need it, First Aid in both parks is absolutely super! The CMs are all RNs and are so nice and helpful. They truly want to help -- don't be afraid to ask if you need something. Better to do what it takes to have a healthy, safe DLR visit!

If your sister will need extra time to board rides (even just a few extra moments), make sure to tell the CMs before getting into the loading area. Many/most of the rides at DLR have surprisingly short loading/unloading cycles and even taking a little longer to get into or out of the vehicle can shut down the ride. Space Mountain is a good example of this. It is very easy to alert a CM in the line that you and your sister will need a bit of extra time for loading and unloading. You will be directed to the HC loading area where you will have the time you need to get into and out of the vehicle comfortably and safely. Also, if you do get a wheelchair, check at each ride whether your sister is feeling stable enough to transfer out of the wheelchair to a ride vehicle. I know from experience that sometimes I can feel fine while sitting and waiting for a ride, but getting up to transfer can bring on dizziness unexpectedly. Some rides will allow you to stay in the wheelchair, so just ask CMs and your sister, to be safe. And, should you need it, First Aid in both parks is absolutely super! The CMs are all RNs and are so nice and helpful. They truly want to help -- don't be afraid to ask if you need something. Better to do what it takes to have a healthy, safe DLR visit!

That hadn't even occurred to me, thank you for the advice! We'll be sure to let them know when we are in the line- even when she is feeling otherwise alright, having to bend down or move position suddenly can bring on a dizzy episode, so I'll make sure to ask the CMs.

Actually, now its just occurred to me that she hasnt been on any rides of any sort since this all began, so we might just have to take it slow and alert the CMs regardless in case being on a ride might cause an attack.. I really hope that isnt the case :/ Well, in any case, she will have the best Disney time she possibly (and healthily) can, I will make sure of it! ^.^

Thank you very much for the help!

If your sister does decide to go with an ECV, Deckert's rental company gets very good reviews on the DLR board. They will deliver to and pick up from your hotel.
As an encouragement to you and your sister, I once did a DLR trip with fairly serious vertigo (had no choice about the dates -- family was visiting from out of town!). We were very careful, and I didn't get to ride many rides at all (only rides that went straight, like IASW, and didn't require any contortions to get in or out of the vehicle), but we still had a really good trip. So with all this good planning, you both can have a wonderful birthday trip together!

Last edited:
If your sister does decide to go with an ECV, Deckert's rental company gets very good reviews on the DLR board. They will deliver to and pick up from your hotel.
As an encouragement to you and your sister, I once did a DLR trip with fairly serious vertigo (had no choice about the dates -- family was visiting from out of town!). We were very careful, and I didn't get to ride many rides at all (only rides that went straight, like IASW, and didn't require any contortions to get in or out of the vehicle), but we still had a really good trip. So with all this good planning, you both can have a wonderful birthday trip together!
Thank you! We'll play it by ear and we've both agreed to be very low pressure about it- we do what we can, and what we can't, we can't, and we go get dole whip or something instead ^.^

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!