At Disney World, renovating requires just the right touch of magic

CR Resort Fan 4 Life

DIS Veteran
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news...ssic-attractions-r092009sep20,0,3930008.story

By Dewayne Bevil
Sentinel Staff Writer
September 20, 2009

Toying with a classic is a tricky operation. That's what Walt Disney Co. and its Imagineers had to keep in mind while refurbishing several attractions at Walt Disney World in recent years — not to mention overhauling sections of Fantasyland in an expansion announced Sept. 12.

The parks have used periodic prolonged closings for housekeeping and maintenance as opportunities to enhance long-standing rides and shows, said Eric Jacobson, senior vice president for Walt Disney Imagineering.

"Why just have it closed — and have it open as it was before?" he says.

Among the retoolings have been Hall of Presidents, Haunted Mansion and Pirates of the Caribbean at Magic Kingdom plus Epcot's iconic Spaceship Earth. Currently closed and in transition is Space Mountain, Magic Kingdom's indoor roller coaster, which is expected to reopen late this year.

Disney's Fantasyland plans include additions to the Dumbo the Flying Elephant ride, plus a 3-D update of Star Tours at Disney's Hollywood Studios.

Ricky Brigante, creative director of Orlando Attractions Magazine and host of the "Inside the Magic" podcast, appreciates the challenge of these updates.

"They do have that fine line they need to walk where they need to update it so that the casual theme-park audience can enjoy it and doesn't think, 'Oh, that looks like technology from 30 years ago,'" Brigante says.

Dewayne Bevil can be reached at 407-420-5477 or dbevil@orlandosentinel.com.

Hall of Presidents
The animatronic-heavy presentation, which debuted with the Magic Kingdom in 1971, reopened in July after being closed for eight months. It remains presidential in tone, but it sports a reworked opening film, script changes that spotlight Abraham Lincoln and George Washington more, and the introduction of the Barack Obama figure.

"So you got all the stuff you love," Jacobson said, "but even more candy."

Thumbs up from Brigante: "When I went into the new version of Hall of Presidents, I actually enjoyed the show, whereas for the past eight years I just used it as an escape from the heat."

Spaceship Earth
The latest redo for the front attraction of Epcot was completed in late 2007 and features new scenes and animatronics in the first half and an onboard touch-screen activity in the second half.

"In this day and age of Wii and Nintendo, interaction has become much more expected from our population in general," Jacobson said. "So giving kids and adults something to do on the attraction where they get to create their own ending has been extremely popular."

Brigante referred to the first half as fantastic.

"I love all of the new animatronics that they've put in there, very lifelike, and I'm happy to see in general, between that and Hall of Presidents and Pirates of the Caribbean, Disney returning to putting in great new animatronics."

He's lukewarm on the second half but acknowledges its positive effect.

"I see a lot of smiling faces; I hear a lot of laughter, which is something that has never been present in Spaceship Earth," he said. "A lot of children found Spaceship Earth to be very boring."

Pirates of the Caribbean
Animatronics resembling Johnny Depp's Jack Sparrow were added to the ride about the time that Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End arrived in theaters in 2007.

Kevin Yee, an Orlando-based author and blogger for MiceAge

.com, has mixed opinions.

"The changes probably do appeal to the big swath of audience that comes, the masses," Yee said. "But at the same time, the original message of the story is now gone. ... You've got Jack Sparrow literally kicking back in his chair, so piracy does pay. It's not a family-friendly message."

Space Mountain
Renovation is under way for the Magic Kingdom coaster built in 1975. So far, Disney has fessed up only to new track (but same design), ceiling and queue enclosure. It closed in April and is set to reopen in November, a much shorter turnaround than for the Space Mountain rehab in Disneyland.

"As far as I know, they're not going anywhere near the extent that they did in California, Brigante said. "I've even heard we're not even getting on-ride audio on the cars, but I'm not sure about that. I've heard a few rumblings that they've tested some cars on that track to see if they would hold up with the extra weight of the speakers and all that."

Yee said he has heard that the loading area might be totally enclosed but that "the big question mark in my mind is whether the [on-board] music is going in."

Haunted Mansion
Changes for the home of 999 happy haunts in 2007 included a new Escher-esque stairwell scene, remodeling of the attic and technical advances in the sound system and in the implementation of the "Floating Leota" crystal ball.

Brigante, a longtime Mansion devotee, was worried at first.

"I think just about every Haunted Mansion fan out there was concerned when they announced they would be some pretty decent-sized changes," he said. "I was there first thing in the morning when it reopened, and I was pleasantly surprised that it definitely retained the same classic feeling that it has had for decades, but at the same time, updating it for today's technology and today's audience that expects a bit more."

The presence of similar attractions in Disneyland and other parks helped in this case, Jacobson said.

"After having several successful runs of that attraction, we can bring some of those new, cool, magic ideas and put them into our attraction in Florida," he said.

Space Mountain
Renovation is under way for the Magic Kingdom coaster built in 1975. So far, Disney has fessed up only to new track (but same design), ceiling and queue enclosure. It closed in April and is set to reopen in November, a much shorter turnaround than for the Space Mountain rehab in Disneyland.

"As far as I know, they're not going anywhere near the extent that they did in California, Brigante said. "I've even heard we're not even getting on-ride audio on the cars, but I'm not sure about that. I've heard a few rumblings that they've tested some cars on that track to see if they would hold up with the extra weight of the speakers and all that."

Yee said he has heard that the loading area might be totally enclosed but that "the big question mark in my mind is whether the [on-board] music is going in."
But when they closed SM at DL it was closed for emergency reasons and did not reopen until the major overhaul.

Here they had made plans when to close it, had contracts in place and items ordered and on-hand. So when they closed it here they were able to start working on it the very next day.

At DL it took them many months to do the plans, let the contracts and order the materials before they were able to do the work. And for Guest Safety reasons they had to keep it shut down starting the day of the unplanned close.

Thanks for the Space Mt. update. It'll be interesting to see if they do add the speakers to the seats.

Does anyone have a list of the changes they are making to Space Mountain, besides the tracks? I've seen some, but I think most of them were actually rumors. Any updates on what they've done so far?

There's NOTHING official about what they are changing at Space Mountain...except that supposedly the track layout will remain the same, even though they are replacing all the track. They are also covering the queue area to make the ride darker.

Here's my thought - there is no way that they shut the ride down for 7+ months, completely replace the track, spend all that money, and come out with exactly the same ride that they started with. While it might not be on the level of changes to DL - I think you will see the in-car sound system - new lights and effects. Basically an amped up sensory experience in a very similar track design.

Either way - I am stoked that it will (hopefully) be open when we get there in December.

Back to the original post - I personally liked the Spaceship Earth, PotC, and Haunted Mansion refurbs. Considering the earlier debacles of Journey to Imagination and the Tiki Room...these are three home runs. I haven't seen the HoP, though I am in no hurry.

SkierPete

There's NOTHING official about what they are changing at Space Mountain...except that supposedly the track layout will remain the same, even though they are replacing all the track. They are also covering the queue area to make the ride darker.

Here's my thought - there is no way that they shut the ride down for 7+ months, completely replace the track, spend all that money, and come out with exactly the same ride that they started with. While it might not be on the level of changes to DL - I think you will see the in-car sound system - new lights and effects. Basically an amped up sensory experience in a very similar track design.

Either way - I am stoked that it will (hopefully) be open when we get there in December.

Back to the original post - I personally liked the Spaceship Earth, PotC, and Haunted Mansion refurbs. Considering the earlier debacles of Journey to Imagination and the Tiki Room...these are three home runs. I haven't seen the HoP, though I am in no hurry.

SkierPete

Yeah, I agree with the refurbs you like too. Anyways, thanks for your opinion. I'll be in the Magic Kingdom on Monday and am just sad that I can't ride Space Mountain a couple times like I usually do. They hopefully will make lots of positive changes to make the ride even more unique without changing it too much. Pretty tricky, though. I hope it's open by December for you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter