At what age did you start bringing your kids to the parks?

WDW (just MK) opened the year our 3rd child was born (1971) so we went in 1972 - it was fantastic. He was in a stroller (way less people) and we could control what he touched. He loved all the action and lights. Now, until things are 'normal' again, we would not take a child to Disney - of course, we are not going either so wouldn't matter.

We took my son to Disneyland for his first birthday. Then to WDW when he was almost 3 and again at 5. Also took him on Disney Cruises at 3 and 6. We also take him on a non-Disney vacation every year (except this year -- whomp whomp). I think kids get something out of travel even if they are too young to articulate what it is they are getting. I also love the family memories we have made. At home, days blur together. But when we are travelling, that newness really cements the memories in my brain. Plus we have a lot of little inside jokes from our travels that make us feel closer as a family.

So my vote is to take your baby as soon as you would like to go without thinking about whether the baby will "get" something from it.

Our two oldest were 6 and 4 on their first visit. Great ages because they could access the majority of the rides and didn’t need a stroller. Our youngest two were 11 months and 18 months on their respective first visits. The stroller was a hassle at times and we certainly had to accommodate for their feeding and sleeping schedules but my older two benefitted by being able to ride more attractions because of the parent/child swap passes we could get. On our next visit our youngest will be at least four years old which will make things much easier although he did great last year at age 2 when all we did was a Magic Kingdom After Hours event. He got a great afternoon nap and went strong until 1AM.

Our first trip, my youngest was 22 months old. We went one more time before he turned 3. It's nice if you get in a trip right before turning 3, because they are old enough to be aware of things and enjoy the parks, but they are still free!

My oldest first went at 15 months old. It was a pretty good trip. There were hard parts, but we slowed way down and enjoyed (almost) every moment. DD 2 and 3 both went at the 9-12 month mark. My son and this baby won't go till he is 4 and she is 3. For many many reasons, I don't want a diapered kid in the parks. :rotfl2:

I will preface my answer with yes I know we are crazy..... each of our 3 kids made the trip from Wisconsin between 4-6 months old. To be fair we have been going to Disney at least once a year since before we had kids so for us it only made sense.

We started when my oldest 3 and my youngest was 1. I needed one fully potty trained before I booked We’ve gone almost every year since (they are now 20 and 17)

First took our son when he was 3 and he loved it. The next trip with our 2 year old daughter was a bit tougher. She was overwhelmed at times, but overall still enjoyed it.

Our kids were 3 when we started bringing them to the parks. That being said there's no right or wrong age. When they're really young a lot of people say, "but they won't remember anything." No, but I will. I'll remember the look on their face as they take everything in.

Our kids were 3 when we started bringing them to the parks. That being said there's no right or wrong age. When they're really young a lot of people say, "but they won't remember anything." No, but I will. I'll remember the look on their face as they take everything in.

This.

Our son would have been 3.5 but due to covid we ended up there for his 4th birthday and we kind of wished we had gone 6 mo to a year sooner. That said we plan to make trips every year or 2, if a once only thing then maybe wait another year or 2.

10 months old for her first visit and has been 4 times so far. Age 3 was the worst for us. Yes, that was us with the kid hysterical over our shoulder getting off Spaceship Earth in 2014. Lol

I’m newly pregnant (we’re expecting our quarantine baby at the start of 2021) so I’m way jumping the gun on this, but at what age did you start bringing your kids to the park? When do you think they were old enough to get something out of it?

First of all, Congrats!

We live in Florida and have been going to Disney my entire life. Made a deliberate decision not to take our son to Disney too young.
First "Disney" trip for my son 3rd b-day in 2019 stayed at Yacht Club, mostly for the pool and proximity to Boardwalk activities and restaurants (adulting). Had a great long weekend. Didn't go to parks that trip.
Sept 2020, stayed at Grand Floridian and went to parks. My son loved it and so did we b/c he is now big enough for most rides and remembers EVERYTHING! For our family, this was the best decision because long brutal days at a park didn't seem appealing to me with small child.
I'm not knocking those who travel with young children at all. my son has inaugurated every Royal Caribbean ship (harmony/symphony) since he was 6 months old (2016) plus Allure & Oasis - love cruising with him.
We did Oasis again Jan 2020 and had Thanksgiving week booked for 2020, on what was supposed to be the newly renovated Allure (we took it back in 2010 for inaugural voyage), but moved to 2021 due to Covid.
Never been on Disney cruise but can't wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I brought my kids to the park for the first time when they were 4.5 years old and 22 months old. It was a perfect age to start, in my opinion! We've been two more times since then, and they are now 6.5 and 3.5 years old. I honestly don't think I would've gone with an infant (younger than 1), with frequent diaper changes and nursing all day, it doesn't seem as much fun.

My oldest was 10 months on her first trip, and really enjoyed it. We went 6 times in the next 3 years, so she has grown up loving it. Man, that’s been the hardest thing about Covid for her. (And us!)

When we were Disneyland locals with APs my DD1's first trip was at 3mos old. We would go to the parks and just walk around or have lunch. We rarely did a full day - not until she was closer to 1. Once I had DD2 it was definitely harder to wrangle the toddler and the baby so we didn't go as much. Once they hit around 18 months it's very difficult to wait in lines.

Age 4 is the perfect age for Disney imo. Once they are tall enough for Big Thunder and able to walk longer stretches without the stroller. We didn't make it to WDW until DD1 was 9 and DD2 was 6. We were able to stay up late a few nights and we didn't need strollers. DD2 was still into the princesses/BBB, but DD1 was a little too cool for school for it. I'm happy we went before DD1 was a Disney Adult!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!