At what age did your kids like rollercoasters?

It was a very slow process for us. we regularly visit Disney every 3-4 years from Aus, when son was 5 was quite brave and tried most things he was allowed to, around 8 he tried things once and hated almost everything, was a real struggle to get to do anything, around 12 would do everything Over and over. I have distinct memories of doing space mountain, everest, and rock n roller coaster 5-6 times in a row, it was a crazy magical time which is helping to sustain us through these “unprecedented times” that just seem to be dragging on and on. I sure hope we can go back one day, though by then he will be 15 and who knows what will be cool then :)

Just wanted to add that their likes can change as well. Last year at nearly 4 my son loved 7DMT. This year at just turned 5 he tolerated it but didn't enjoy it. Following 7DMT he refused to go on SDD (which he also enjoyed last year) and before every ride would ask if there were any fast downhills.

My daughter was 5.

My son is 24 and still doesn't like big Coasters. I am the same way though. LOL

My niece was 19 and on her college program at Disney before she really started likeing big coasters. She is addicted now!

I was the opposite, I loved any and every ride when I was a kid - Splash was my FAVORITE - up until I hit 15 and then for whatever reason they scared me and I've never looked back. Bring on the "baby" rides! :rotfl2:

But in all seriousness it's great to encourage them and help them conquer their fears because most of the time they're glad they did and have SO much fun, laughing and screaming and having a blast, and sometimes it's not worth pushing them if they're really upset and you have to let them calm down a bit and choose for themselves. (To put this into context, not WDW but we rode Hagrid's last year and I was a little nervous but LOVED it - the second time we were in line for it that day I had a full blown crying panic attack and needed a few minutes to calm down and screw up my courage. Emotions are irrational, sometimes you just have to go with them.)

My first 2 boys were 4 and 5 and love roller coasters, my third son hates rollercoasters, to this day he won't go on Space Mountain, he does go on Runaway train..hes 16 now !!!

Depends on the kids. DD was always pretty game. DS is much more nervous. We had a gap of visits between 4.5 and 7. 4.5, no way. 7, he was game to try just about everything. He even tried Yeti but polite passed on repeats. But then FF to 9 when he went to DLR, he rode California Screamin' 6 times in a row. I'm with you. I'd encourage him to be adventuresome to try the tamer ones and see if he can handle (POTC is a fantastic first start). Then he gets to decide if he wants to try the next one (TT is a great one as not so swervy but more like a fast car). And just build from there. DS did respond well to my more factual statements like "dude, the law requires them to make it safe. They would've gone out of business long ago if it was dangerous. The key is to have an experience that is thrilling but safe." He appreciated knowing that there were rules, inspections regularly, etc.. Note I did not mention where people were truly injured like CoP. Some things are best left unsaid.

DD is still only 15 months so can't speak for her yet, but thought I'd share my experience.

When I was 11 and my sister was 7 our grandmother and aunt took us to Disney World. They had planned out everything using a guide book and they were determined to follow that plan. My sister was up for anything but maybe a bit nervous. I was terrified though, and had to be forced on.

Now I know that that is not a lot of people's way of doing things and while I would certainly try to convince my daughter when she is old enough if she was nervous, even to the point of a bribe, I don't think I could just say too bad and drag her on the way I pretty much was. BUT, with that said, I am glad that my aunt and grandmother did that in retrospect. I may have eventually come around, but I may not because I do still have a serious fear of heights, but as soon as we got off of space mountain on that trip I was the one saying lets ride it again. I think that they both knew me well enough to know that I just needed to be taken out of my comfort zone for a moment, but not everyone is like that.

Like I said, I don't think I could just force DD when the time comes but I would certainly do anything else in my power to get her to try. I will say, though, that I think that they really got me amped up about the whole thing before even getting in line just by how they were acting about everything, which comes pretty naturally to my mom's side of the family, as I've seen her do that with my niece and nephew about things before.

daughter was really tall. She rode big thunder mountain at 4. It was way to jerky for her and she hated it. After that she didn't want to go on any roller coasters for a while. She liked the mine train at 6, and it was all good from there. It is so much smoother. Now she likes them all-even the ones I'd prefer not to go on.

I’ve always loved roller coasters as far back as I can remember. My sister refused to ride them as a kid, tried most of the Disney and Universal ones during one trip in her teens and decided Big Thunder Mountain was the only one she could handle. Have some amusing photos of her absolutely terrified on the Mummy and Splash Mountain from that trip.

Took my son on Mine Train at 5 and he HATED it. At 7 he LOVED it. He's 9 now and still loves them. Same with my second son. Terrified around 4/5, suddenly brave at 7 ;) Jury is still out on my daughter. She's just 4.5, haha.

My oldest has always loved coasters. She went to Disney the week she turned 3 and the week she turned 5, and both times would go on anything she was tall enough (she's a short kid). My middle, not so much. We got her on everything except Everest last trip (just before she turned 9) but she didn't. love any of them and wouldn't go back on most of them for a second time. She did love Test Track though- she's ok with a little thrill, just doesn't like the drops. From their personalities you would guess the opposite though. Oldest is very quiet and introverted, middle is much more outgoing and active.

Both of my boys liked the "kiddie" rollercoasters very young, but wouldn't go near the bigger ones. Once, in line for Big Thunder Mountain (around age 7 and 10) ran crying out of line before we got very far. Then the next year, they really wanted to go on Rock n Rollercoaster since it was Aerosmith and "cool". It was in the dark another "cool". They loved it and after that, there isn't any they won't go on.

DS first trip to WDW was for his 3rd birthday. We did Barnstormer and he enjoyed it, didn't push any further.

Over the next year we went to our local Six Flags monthly and he rode the kiddie coaster there every time. Back to WDW for his 4th birthday and he road SDMT, BTMR, and did SDD 4 times in one day! Also did TOT, which he didn't love but didn't cry.

Another year of regular trips to Six Flags where he added 3 other coasters to the list (no inversions), and at WDW for his 5th birthday we added Dinosaur to the other rides (not a coaster, but I waited because I didn't want to scare him). Another go at TOT, which he still didn't love.

If we make it to WDW for his 6th birthday (trip booked, but we'll see) he's excited to try Everest this year! He's willing to try Space Mountain, but I think he'll be terrified in the dark so we're going to wait on that for another year or two.

My younger son has riden everything as soon as he was tall enough. My older son rides everything at Disney but refuses to ride most other more intense rides at other parks. It helps when they get older and can better explain what they don't like about the coasters so we can avoid those for him. For example, my older son doesn't like wooden coasters because they are too jerky and he won't ride anything with a big drop.

My son didn’t ride a coaster until he was 17 lol. My daughter ride everything as soon as she was tall enough - rode RnRC and ToT at age 5.

My youngest son rode RnRc seven times the first time we took him when he was 5 years old. He cried because he wasn't tall enough to ride Hulk at Universal at the time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter