At what point during resale purchase do you provide current membership number?

fearthisinc

Mouseketeer
We are closing on our second resale purchase and was just curious as which point in the process we should be handing over our current membership number? Obviously our first resale purchase this was not required as we were becoming first time members. I recall reading somewhere that when you add on you are supposed to supply the closing company with your membership number so that you retain the same membership number for the new contract and can use your current login and whatnot.. Or is this not required as Disney will figure it out when they enter your name into the system to add you?

Usually the broker or title company ask for it at the beginning of the whole process. But it wouldn't be needed until the closing documents were being drawn up.

I wasn't asked for ours until we received our closing documents. They already knew we were existing members but they didn't need it until closing.

Making sure that your broker/closing company has your member ID and that they pass it on to MS will reduce errors when adding your new contract to your account.

:earsboy: Bill

We needed it at closing. Make sure you have the new points titled exactly as your other one. Otherwise they cannot be combined into one membership account.

Thanks for all the replies. Coincidentally I received my closing docs yesterday afternoon.. I started going through everything but didnt see any place to mark down my membership number. The only page that stood out to me with regard to Disney was the "New Owner Set-Up Information" form.. This page asked for Owner name and social security numbers, as well as a good telephone number. It basically read "The resort requires that we provide them with identification from you to help protect your account privacy. This information will also be helpful in the event that you choose to participate in any rental programs and an IRS 1099 form needs to be issued"..

I called the closing company and advised them again that this was an "add-on" contract and we were not "new members". They seemed to say the form is generic and must be submitted with the paperwork to Disney advising them we are the new owners of the contract. I inquired about when they would need the membership number, however they stated that they would have no need for the membership number. They advised that Disney will automatically link the new contract with the existing membership when they run the names/social security numbers. I told them that I spoke with many resale add on purchasers regarding the process and all said that their current membership number was submitted when buying a new contract. They didn't seem phased, and simply stated that they have never had an issue where the membership number was required and never had any issues with contracts being linked.

I get their point. If Disney is entering information in their system to update that we are the owners and they get to the point where a new membership number is generated, I am thinking that an error would pop up whereby the system would recognize that we are already assigned a membership number. To be safe though, I am wondering if I would have better luck contacting Disney directly regarding this and see what there take is.

Thanks for all the replies. Coincidentally I received my closing docs yesterday afternoon.. I started going through everything but didnt see any place to mark down my membership number. The only page that stood out to me with regard to Disney was the "New Owner Set-Up Information" form.. This page asked for Owner name and social security numbers, as well as a good telephone number. It basically read "The resort requires that we provide them with identification from you to help protect your account privacy. This information will also be helpful in the event that you choose to participate in any rental programs and an IRS 1099 form needs to be issued"..

I called the closing company and advised them again that this was an "add-on" contract and we were not "new members". They seemed to say the form is generic and must be submitted with the paperwork to Disney advising them we are the new owners of the contract. I inquired about when they would need the membership number, however they stated that they would have no need for the membership number. They advised that Disney will automatically link the new contract with the existing membership when they run the names/social security numbers. I told them that I spoke with many resale add on purchasers regarding the process and all said that their current membership number was submitted when buying a new contract. They didn't seem phased, and simply stated that they have never had an issue where the membership number was required and never had any issues with contracts being linked.

I get their point. If Disney is entering information in their system to update that we are the owners and they get to the point where a new membership number is generated, I am thinking that an error would pop up whereby the system would recognize that we are already assigned a membership number. To be safe though, I am wondering if I would have better luck contacting Disney directly regarding this and see what there take is.
Just to calm your fears, we bought resale and when we did all the paperwork we did not have a member number as we were not members yet. Two days after our deed was recorded, Disney announced the new 75 minimum requirement which sped up my timeline for adding on direct. I called that day and Disney of course had no record of my resale purchase. I bought 50 points direct creating my membership number. When they finally got around to putting the resale contract in my name they figured it out with no problems. I never told them anything to link the two. The resale points just showed up in my account one day.

Just write in your "existing member number xxxxxxxx" on the form below your names.

:earsboy: Bill

Put it in an email to the title company. One title company had it on the form to fill out but the other didn’t.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter