At work we are all replaceable

low-key

14001, 60056, 224
But if tomorrow you walked in and said I quit, what would they miss the most ?

unfortunately I don't have any real skills that would be missed but I like to think they would miss my loving to laugh personality, I think they might all kill each other if I wasn't there , lol

Ha. The fact that I do everything! Everyone in our department has their own specific work load of clients, and I have a little bit less than everyone else but that is because I help with a bunch of other things. I clean up everyone else's work when they're doing things wrong, handle multiple email mailboxes, work on special projects, learn new clients and take on extra workloads when people leave the department, etc.

Ha. The fact that I do everything! Everyone in our department has their own specific work load of clients, and I have a little bit less than everyone else but that is because I help with a bunch of other things. I clean up everyone else's work when they're doing things wrong, handle multiple email mailboxes, work on special projects, learn new clients and take on extra workloads when people leave the department, etc.

I wish I was valuable, I could be dead on the toilet and they wouldn't know I wasn't there for hours , lol

They'd miss the bagels I always bring in when it's my turn to provide a snack on treat day. That's about it.
So it might take some time before my colleagues realize I'm gone.
Yep. I'm replaceable.

I wish I was valuable, I could be dead on the toilet and they wouldn't know I wasn't there for hours , lol

Lol don't worry I'm probably giving myself too much credit. In reality they would probably just miss my cupcakes the most!

But if tomorrow you walked in and said I quit, what would they miss the most ?

unfortunately I don't have any real skills that would be missed but I like to think they would miss my loving to laugh personality, I think they might all kill each other if I wasn't there , lol
:thumbsup2 Being a congenial stress-diffuser is an important role; most families and social groups (including workplaces) have one and it's MUCH needed sometimes.

For me, my staff would be totally adrift - they are accustomed to clear direction on the million-and-one "grey area" decisions that need to be made and also accustomed to ME being accountable to upper-management for the results. My boss could easily make the decisions, but in his role he issues edicts and expects them to be carried out without needing to give any further input. Our department isn't set up to work without my level of middle-management for direct staff supervision. Interestingly, we're focusing right now on the fact that there's no viable succession plan for my job. We're priortizing hiring somebody with potential to groom for promotion.

I think they would miss me eventually lol. Not at first though, since I am an introvert, and my co-worker is miss flash & flair, smoke & mirrors lol. I am pretty sure they think she shoulders the whole load and is a star. A big personality can do wonders sometimes. But what I lack in people skills I make up for in detail-oriented, correct work. But with me gone I think they would eventually realize what I do behind the scenes as things slowly turn to crap. Ha!

Meh, they'd just find a substitute teacher and be fine. No one at work would miss anything I do. They use stuff I create or find, but they'd just go back to flying by the seat of their pants like they did before I came along.

They'd miss me, because I'm the only person at my workplace that can do my job (I'm the chiropractor in a gym and health services centre).

They could hire someone else, but it's not an immediate replacement. They would also miss the income I bring in (I'm an independent contractor who works for a percentage), since until they could get someone else that would be zero. And even when they replaced me, it's certain not all my business would be taken over by someone else. People are particular about their chiropractor and many would follow me to another clinic if I moved within a reasonable distance.

Dh thought he couldn’t be replaced at his old job and he was partly right. He was a workaholic who worked 16 hour days. The guys they have hired to replace him don’t work that many hours so they only last a few months. I say they are smart for getting out when they did. He is so proud when another guy quits. His old boss is retiring soon so it will be interesting to see what happens.

They probably wouldn’t miss me right away but would eventually miss me for the history I know (35 years at the same place in various positions) and the little things I do that keep the place running a little more smoothly that I think they think just magically happen.

The people who know me will miss me. I get along with most of my coworkers really well. I have left jobs before and the relationship is what they say they miss the most (having me there everyday to talk to, joke around with, etc...) but the job itself is replaceable. I am not under any grand illusion that I am the best ever and not replaceable.

Ha, I could tell you for sure!

I quit my job in the spring of this year, on good terms, to pursue a position in another field. The opportunity came up and I took it, but it was a disaster. The job description was not exactly what they advertised (much, much more "manual" labor involved - they glossed over that completely when in reality 2 days a week we were hauling paper and boxes around like we worked in a mailroom) and the department manager was the type that would leave at 4pm and we would be there until 8 or 9pm every night trying to get everything done, among many other things).

By July, I knew this job wasn't for me. I called my old boss and asked if she had filled my position yet. She said no, she hadn't, and she would talk to the director and VP who would be in the office in the AM. By 10am the next morning, I not only had my old job back, but I also learned that my department was going remote by the end of the year AND she told me (as a friend) to make sure I account for any pay increase I had gotten when I originally left. So, add a raise on top of that as well as full tenure reinstated because it hadn't been a year yet. Myself and another co-worker are clearly the two leaders in the department and she relies on both of us in many ways (hence the reason I am up so early on a holiday waiting for a conference call! haha)
I just had my annual review last Wed, and her exact words were: "Thank you for everything you do, and for coming back. I don't know how I would have made it through the past 6 months without you here." :flower1::love:

That being said, Executive Leadership in my company is NOT above dropping people and not caring in the least. The reason my department went remote is because they closed my office and sent 70% of the positions to another state. Only 4 departments were offered remote working. I've spent the past 6 months saying goodbye to some of the best in the business, the last, and one of the hardest, was just a couple days ago on Friday. I have no doubt my own department will be "restructured" one day and I will be hitting the road as well. Several people will miss me (and the people in my department) for a while, but they will live and move on. :sad2::sad:

Last edited:
I am replacable, but it would take quite some time to do. What our ownership (based in Europe) would find the most difficult to replace are the issues I fix that are outside of my realm of responsibility. I'm in finance, but correct issues in mfg., sales,. purchasing, HR etc... that would become an issue if I didn't jump in to help. I always mention these during my performance review and the answer is stop doing it. Mmmm okay your won't make the necessary changes to fix the problems and if I stop fixing them, profitability falls, and that would be my fault as well. :mad:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!