Atlanta 10 Miler & 5K DISMeet

May not be walking distance from Atlantic station...
Not an issue for us, since we'll have to Uber/Lyft due to DW's boot.
I would prefer 6pm or earlier. i am an early eater and an early to bed kind of person.
I also vote for 6 or earlier. Give us more time to get in trouble afterwards.
Edited to say: Nevermind, I see it's a done deal! Thank you @tigger536

A little more than a week out.

I haven't checked the weather yet. 7 days is my starting point for local races.

Anyone have any goal time/pace? Still trying to figure mine out. Depending on the weather, maybe 1:35-ish? Not sure how bad the hills are and having a hard time finding an elevation chart.

I am having a spatial problem thinking about running down Cardiac Hill. I've run up it for decades. I keep envisioning having to run backwards or something. I'm not completely spatially challenged: I do realize this means you have to run up the other side of Peachtree Creek.

Looking forward to our mini-meetup and a day in the 'Big City'!

I think you will have a hill going up between mile 3 and 4 and definitely between 7 and 8. When you come out of Piedmont park you will run up hill, its on 12th street, it is miserable, but i run it about once a week.

I have checked the weather temps look good but calling for rain. I do not trust a rain forecast until 1 day before so i am hoping that will still change.

Right now my plan is to race it so planning 8 min mile or so. @DopeyBadger plan says 1:20 so will see. DH is probably looking closer to 1:35ish.

I am looking forward to our dis dinner. Had to move a vet appointment around but got it all worked out. We do have a vet appointment at 1 but expect to be home by 2.

@DopeyBadger plan says 1:20 so will see.

:surfweb:

[Quickly double checks math...] Looks like it should be a 1:22 prediction based on similar conditions (temp/elevation change) to the race we based pacing off of. An 8:11 min/mile (or thereabouts). The time listed in the plan was a place holder (based on LT pace) because a 10 miler is not a pre-programmed distance pace in my spreadsheet for writing the plans.

:surfweb:

[Quickly double checks math...] Looks like it should be a 1:22 prediction based on similar conditions (temp/elevation change) to the race we based pacing off of. An 8:11 min/mile (or thereabouts). The time listed in the plan was a place holder (based on LT pace) because a 10 miler is not a pre-programmed distance pace in my spreadsheet for writing the plans.

Thanks for the check. One of the great things a new PR regardless. I have never raced a 10 miler.

@OldSlowGoofyGuy looks like 8:11 pace and 1:22 finish.

FYI it looks like there is not a bag drop for athletes at this race. I am planning on doing my warm up on the way over. Race starts at 7:15, @DopeyBadger, if i head over at 6:30 is that too soon for a warmup. I am planning to walk some and then warmup the last mile to the start. My cooldown will be jogging home, of course waiting on DH may be an issue. We will have a talk based on weather. Of course i run by my building just past mile 7, it is always possible DH will just stop there :rotfl2:

Let me know if anyone wants to meet Mallory. If we can make it happen she will love it.

Race starts at 7:15, @DopeyBadger, if i head over at 6:30 is that too soon for a warmup.

Not at all. Optimally the warm-up occurs between 60 min to 15 min of the start of the race. So with a race start time of 7:15, that's 6:15-7:00am as the window for warm-up. Anything further out and it loses its effectiveness. Anything closer and it may start to infringe on the full race effort.

Not at all. Optimally the warm-up occurs between 60 min to 15 min of the start of the race. So with a race start time of 7:15, that's 6:15-7:00am as the window for warm-up. Anything further out and it loses its effectiveness. Anything closer and it may start to infringe on the full race effort.

That is what i was hoping. I had perfect window for warm up and did not have to take my car to the start. I just hope the rain holds off. Temps should not be bad, i still may need a throw away sweatshirt.

I think 1:47 has been my fastest Atlanta 10 miler. This race is my albatross race. I ran it once only a week after I fell on a trail and hit
my head and had a subarachnoid hematoma. Two years later I ran it less than a week after a stomach virus that required 2 bags of fluids. And this year I’ll run it with what I am pretty sure is a stress fracture. Sooooo, since W&D and Thanksgiving Day half are coming up so quickly, I’ll be taking it on with a slow run/ walk. If I finish in 2:00-2:10 without aggravating it too much, I’ll be happy! (Or, worst case, if I just cross the finish line?)
I ran/walked 6.7 miles at 1:1 this morning, and while every step hurt a little, it wasn’t excruciating, and it seems to be no worse for the effort. I did it at 11:42/mi which puts me around 2 hours for 10 miles. Planning to run a little tomorrow and Monday and then may rest it until Sunday.
I’m looking forward to seeing y’all Saturday! Also, if it does rain that morning, duck into the lobby of the Twelve! We can meet you there.

@Disney at Heart that sucks about your bad luck with this race. Glad you are still in good spirits. Hope it hangs in there for your next races. thanks for the invite to stay in the hotel. i am still hoping for no rain :)

@OldSlowGoofyGuy looks like 8:11 pace and 1:22 finish.
How does 8:11 compare to your HM pace?

Not sure why my fingers are typing that instead of "I can't hang with that" which is what my brain and legs are saying.

Bummer on the bag drop. That means I won't be hanging out at the finish. I might be up for a cool-down jog back.

And this year I’ll run it with what I am pretty sure is a stress fracture.

Yikes! Take care and remember 'Have a good race and have a safe race.' :)

@OldSlowGoofyGuy you know you want to run with me. It won’t be nearly as hot as PRR I know you can do it.

I am hoping to pick up my number Friday but maybe Saturday. I was going to check then about bag drop but reading the guide it did not seem like there was one. I am with you though for the end may not be able to hang out long depending on weather.

@OldSlowGoofyGuy you know you want to run with me. It won’t be nearly as hot as PRR I know you can do it.

Your mind-reader software/implant is scary.

I still don't have a plan/goal (not kidding: backwards Cardiac Hill is giving me issues), but the plan might be: I'll hang as long as I can. A planned crash-and burn seems better than an unplanned one.

I agree and I bet you hang a lot longer than you expect. I will say I think the climb after going down cardiac hill may suck. I know about the hill coming out of the park. It’s nit fun but not as bad as cardiac hill. It’s atlanta hills are every where.

Found this in the participant guide, but I don't know if you can use the bag drop off if you don't use Lyft!

"Rideshare
Save time, stress and the environment by using Lyft to get to the PNC Atlanta 10 Miler and 5K! If you take a ride share to the event, you may leave your personal belongings at volunteer check in (located at the Atlantic Station storefront at 260 18th Street NW, Suite 10110 in Atlantic Station - between Ann Taylor Loft and Francesca while you run or walk. Be prepared to show your Rideshare receipt at volunteer check in. New Lyft users will get $5 off 2 rides and existing users will get 20% off their ride, up to $5. Use the codes below in your Lyft app! New User Code - PNC19NEW Existing User Code - PNC19"

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter