ATT/Time Warner Deal paves way for Disney-Comcast battle

Yeah I hope Comcast makes this big and Disney walks away.

I agree at this point. I would have preferred that Disney get the assets, but at this price they should just let Comcast take it on and incur the debt. Who knows? In a few years it may be Comcast looking to unload things and Disney can snap it up then.

It's too bad about those Marvel and Star Wars rights though.

Whether Comcast makes another bid or not, it's still a lot of money for one of them. I wonder if Disney would drop out just yet.

Whether Comcast makes another bid or not, it's still a lot of money for one of them. I wonder if Disney would drop out just yet.

Disney has already made the leading bid, so they won't drop out while leading. If Comcast tops them again, then it becomes a legit question. Rarely is the first bid the best bid an acquirer will give. The question is whether Comcast left themselves room or if they were hoping for an overwhelming knockout. My guess is Comcast has one more bid in them. I'm hoping Disney will not have a third.

This is great news! I can’t see Comcast countering and winning now that Disney’s offer is approved by regulators. The X-Men are back home where they belong, and a complete box set of Star Wars is now possible. The US was the largest hurdle, and now that it’s done, everything is hunky Dory.

Now that this has cleared it's biggest hurdle, I have to wonder what the repercussions on the Disney Company will be. Yes they get Fox, which everyone seems to be saying they'll use exclusively for streaming and otherwise not develop any further, but with a price tag of over 80 Billion dollars (including the debt they're incurring), I can only imagine that will come with some sacrifice. And I don't mean the local sports channels they need to sell. Are we going to see the WDW 50th renovations scaled back? Or some of the movie slate wiped away? I don't mean to catastrophize, but surely a company can't spend that much money without cutting corners somewhere?

Now that this has cleared it's biggest hurdle, I have to wonder what the repercussions on the Disney Company will be. Yes they get Fox, which everyone seems to be saying they'll use exclusively for streaming and otherwise not develop any further, but with a price tag of over 80 Billion dollars (including the debt they're incurring), I can only imagine that will come with some sacrifice. And I don't mean the local sports channels they need to sell. Are we going to see the WDW 50th renovations scaled back? Or some of the movie slate wiped away? I don't mean to catastrophize, but surely a company can't spend that much money without cutting corners somewhere?
Major cuts in the theme parks' operating budgets occurred when the construction cost of Shanghai Disneyland went way over budget. There will probably the same cost cutting when this deal is finalized. Look for resorts fees, increased parking fees, and reduced theme park operating hours for a start.

I have heard to expect cuts to future plans such as the 50th. To what extreme I’m not sure.
I wonder if the theater cut was part of that for MK? Yes, supposedly that money went to some other project, but I wonder if this was not also part of the thought process.

I have heard to expect cuts to future plans such as the 50th. To what extreme I’m not sure.

It's sad to think they'll be skimping on one of their biggest celebrations yet in order to further dilute their own brand with yet another acquisition, but I guess owning popular content creators kind of is the Disney brand now.

I know Marvel & Star Wars fans are excited to have more of the movie rights under one roof, and I have a taste of that too with what I consider to be one of the best movies of the 90s Animation Renaissance becoming a Disney movie (though I'm sure Anastasia will get no more attention under Disney than it has under Fox). I want to be excited for this merger and the possibilities it presents, but I just feel like it's so big that it can only feel like a failure for the first number of years.

Crazy to think that Disney will soon have over 30% of the movies that are at the cinema under their umbrella. Disney films for the most part make mega money, so hopefully they get some good adult type movies coming from Fox division.

With that box office and Streaming services, they are going to clean up

Crazy to think that Disney will soon have over 30% of the movies that are at the cinema under their umbrella. Disney films for the most part make mega money, so hopefully they get some good adult type movies coming from Fox division.

With that box office and Streaming services, they are going to clean up
A lot of people fear that Disney won't allow Fox to produce their more adult/Oscar-worthy fare anymore but I don't think that's going to happen.

Disney currently approaches their various studios as a "silo" system and lets them run themselves with relative autonomy. WDAS/Pixar...Lucasfilm...Marvel...Live Action. I would think Fox will now be another silo that now corners the adult-skewing market which is the one key market where Disney is weak or nonexistent.

Remember, Disney created their own studios that released sometimes-hard-R fare (Touchstone and Hollywood Pictures) and at one time owned Harvey Weinstein's Miramax and Dimension.

Totally agree. Disney want to appeal more to adults and Fox content is the way to do that. That content will be mainly based on Hulu.

I imagine stale franchises like Die Hard, Independence Day and Aliens will get new reboots.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts