Attractions where lines are hot

MK- Big Thunder and Seven Dwarfs
EP- Spaceship Earth - we find this one BRUTAL
AK - Almost everything. That park is HOT to begin with.
HS- Not there anymore, but the most brutal of anything during the summer was Lights, Motors, Action

Thank you all so much! This is very informative and gives me a lot to plan around. I hope to get FP’s for most all rides mentioned or at least hit up early in the morning/evening except Haunted Mansion... didn’t even consider that one, but certainly will now! The info on TSL being so hot is really helpful as well. I’ve heard AK is crazy hot everywhere, may just have to do the best I can and suck it up.

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one that can hardly stand the BTMRR queue when it's hot. Going down that ramp is what I imagine it must feel like descending toward the gates of hell.

Ok, first a story (semi-related LOL) and then my tips.

We only visited once when I was a kid, so my folks really didn’t know the park. We were in a shaded queue, and then turned a corner and I realized we were in line for....Haunted Mansion! I’m pretty sure they thought we were in line for the riverboat, because that was totally their style. I was terrified of scary stuff as a kid and wanted to get out of line, but my mom said “we’ve waited this long—we’re riding it!!”

My hot-weather survival kit: my Hydroflask refilled with ice water all day, a small fan, a Mission lightweight cooling towel, wipes, powder, and deodorant. I can keep myself wiped off and feeling semi-human. I also wear Tevas or Chacos so I can dump ice water on my feet too! It will be brutal but if that’s when you can go, be prepared and go.

Those that come to mind:
AK: Kilimanjaro Safari, Kali River
MK: Speedway, Splash, Barnstormer
HS: Jedi Training, Beauty and the Beast (just some back seats)
EP: The entire World Showcase walking path. LOL

Dan

Kilimanjaro Safari and Jungle Cruise. I feel like I should be near the front and yet another line or loop appears. Very hot as well.

For summer planning, I think it's probably easier to list the rides that are cool rather than name the ones that are "in the hot sun" simply because most are (in the hot sun; at least at some point). Assuming modest crowds, even rides like Aladdin's Magic Carpet ride @ MK is hot because, although it is covered, that coverage is spotty at best and you're packed tight in a 2-man-wide line with others.

So I'll throw some I can think of off the top of my head that are relatively cool and mostly shaded and maybe others will fill in the blanks:
(Again, assuming modest-to-larger crowds AND queues which should have chains up if the crowd is large and you shouldn't be outside of any covered area too long)
MK - Pirates, BTMRR, HM, Splash/Space Mountain, Dumbo, Buzz, Peter Pan, Small World, Monsters, Philharmagic, Little Mermaid(s)
AK - Safari, Primeval Whirl, Dinosaur
EP - Mission Space, Test Track, Pavillion attractions (maybe with the exception of Frozen, depending on how far outside the line stretches)
HS - TSMM, Star Tours, RnRC, ToT

In my opinion, the worst, by far is the Nemo show in AK! Forever on hot blacktop in the sun- ugh! Summer=we skip it. Lion King Show=close second but we saw it around 6pm and waited in the shade.

Otherwise, little else really bothers us. Except, anyone renting a surrey bike on a summer afternoon is a little crazy.

IMO, more significant than sun is the sudden drenching downpour, which mostly only bother us on the way to ADR's, especially WS dining. When booking dining in September, keep in mind that afternoon storms are quite common. I think that's show the free dining promo got started in the first place! Nobody was going to WS dinners in September.

For summer planning, I think it's probably easier to list the rides that are cool.

It is funny, when I think on this topic one ride immediately comes to mind: Men in Black!

If you ride Men in Black at Universal- and use either the Express Pass or Single Rider line, at a certain spot you'll get hit in the face with an artic blast that is VERY COLD. For some reason, as fast as the line is, I always get stuck waiting right in the arctic blast zone or an extended period of time.

I do not handle the heat very well, and have found that a really good portable fan works the best for me.

You can get one at Amazon an Opolar hand held

It has amazing air flow for a hand held machine. It is rechargeable and will fold down so you can use it on a table. I have 3 of them.

I also use a nice damp washcloth to refresh my face. There are some refreshing wipes you can buy also.

Last edited:
Thank you all so much! This is very informative and gives me a lot to plan around. I hope to get FP’s for most all rides mentioned or at least hit up early in the morning/evening except Haunted Mansion... didn’t even consider that one, but certainly will now! The info on TSL being so hot is really helpful as well. I’ve heard AK is crazy hot everywhere, may just have to do the best I can and suck it up.

We've been to WDW a number of times in the summer, and we actually enjoy it. Mind, we usually aim to take a break from the heat roughly 2pm until about 5pm every day, or when the afternoon storms end.

For some reason, it doesn't really matter the ride, there's a short stretch around 11:30am - where the humidity feels a bit intense, but then it gets better, even though the temp goes higher.

Even still, the temps usually only ever go up to 92 at the highest. your best bet- acclimate yourself to summer outdoor temps before you go as much as possible. Get outdoors, and minimize how much you expose yourself to AC. Your skin take about 2 weeks to acclimate. A day at the beach, outdoor sports, are great for this.

AK feels a bit hotter because the foliage blocks much of the breeze. Even still, I dunno, we don't mind the heat that much. Each trip varies, but on a few summer tips, I have actually felt a little chilly in the evening. I was happy to be wearing long pants. Some trips are hotter though. Where normally we might walk between Epcot and HS, in summer we maybe take a few more shuttle boats.

DO drink LOTS of water!

After the sun sets/storms pass- PM temps in FL are often fairly comfortable. FL is a peninsula.

In my opinion, heavy rain storms are a more significant weather factor than the heat. Some trips are rain free; others feature multi-hour storms every day. Most commonly you'll get short down bursts. Often your best bet is just to pop into a gift shop for 10min. Try not to waste a plastic poncho on one of those mini-storms. Also, don't count on being able to swim every afternoon, or shuttle boats running. WDW closes pools, metal coasters, animal attractions, etc ANYTIME lightning is within a certain distance. It can be completely SUNNY, and the pool is closed.

We also avoid misters. Dry is better, but we don't bother with any special towels or coolers or anything, just the heat makes us a bit sleepy sometimes. Oh, and chocolate melts VERY QUCKLY! WDW is full of chocolate! Oh, and maybe limit how much you carry around all day.

The Haunted Mansion stands out for me. It seems to be in a “hot pocket” where there is little air movement. Not that other attractions are much better, but we stood in line at the Mansion on one particularly brutal day and it was miserable.

MK- Big Thunder and Seven Dwarfs
EP- Spaceship Earth - we find this one BRUTAL
AK - Almost everything. That park is HOT to begin with.
HS- Not there anymore, but the most brutal of anything during the summer was Lights, Motors, Action

Oh man...Lights, Motors, Action! wasn't just a hot queue, it was hot for the entire show! At least with Nemo or Lion King you enter into a very cool theater. I actually really don't miss LMA.

Oh man...Lights, Motors, Action! wasn't just a hot queue, it was hot for the entire show! At least with Nemo or Lion King you enter into a very cool theater. I actually really don't miss LMA.
Me either. The whole thing was excruciatingly hot. And loud. And smelly.

For summer planning, I think it's probably easier to list the rides that are cool rather than name the ones that are "in the hot sun" simply because most are (in the hot sun; at least at some point). Assuming modest crowds, even rides like Aladdin's Magic Carpet ride @ MK is hot because, although it is covered, that coverage is spotty at best and you're packed tight in a 2-man-wide line with others.

So I'll throw some I can think of off the top of my head that are relatively cool and mostly shaded and maybe others will fill in the blanks:
(Again, assuming modest-to-larger crowds AND queues which should have chains up if the crowd is large and you shouldn't be outside of any covered area too long)
MK - Pirates, BTMRR, HM, Splash/Space Mountain, Dumbo, Buzz, Peter Pan, Small World, Monsters, Philharmagic, Little Mermaid(s)
AK - Safari, Primeval Whirl, Dinosaur
EP - Mission Space, Test Track, Pavillion attractions (maybe with the exception of Frozen, depending on how far outside the line stretches)
HS - TSMM, Star Tours, RnRC, ToT

BTMRR is awful in the summer, not cool at all IMO. They have added a bit of airflow, but not enough to make it comfortable. Splash is hot in the outside queue, which is most of the queue, Peter Pan is hot in the outside part of the queue even under cover, as it is right up against the hot top, the section of Mermaid that is outside is hot too because it's down in a valley and misses cool breezes.

In my opinion, the worst, by far is the Nemo show in AK! Forever on hot blacktop in the sun- ugh! Summer=we skip it. Lion King Show=close second but we saw it around 6pm and waited in the shade.

Otherwise, little else really bothers us. Except, anyone renting a surrey bike on a summer afternoon is a little crazy.

IMO, more significant than sun is the sudden drenching downpour, which mostly only bother us on the way to ADR's, especially WS dining. When booking dining in September, keep in mind that afternoon storms are quite common. I think that's show the free dining promo got started in the first place! Nobody was going to WS dinners in September.

Ok just to clarify, are you saying waiting for the Nemo Show is brutal or the actual show is brutal? Is the show outside like HS Beauty and the Beast? Thanks for the tip about afternoon showers!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!