Attractions where you need to transfer from a ECV to a wheelchair.....

ppony

Artist in residence
DIS Lifetime Sponsor
Last time I was at WDW, I had a humiliating experience at the ToT where I was made to get in a manual wheelchair and find someone w/ strength to push me up the hill. I know the que is narrow so ECVs can't maneuver them. I get that. I didn't have the strength and neither did my 9 yo son who was with me. It was completely humiliating and EVERYONE was watching. No exaggeration. I know they don't have to make you do that because earlier in the day, right at park opening, they just had me drive through the store and go in the back way. I'll be in a power wheelchair this time. i don't have the strength to push that or a manual chair and again, neither will the people with me. I'm a very pooh sized gal. What can I do so I'm not humiliated again? The CMs at the entrance seemed to take particular joy seeing my inability to do the work myself. I tod them I couldn't push myself and my little son obviously couldn't. They didn't care. It was the cruelest thing I've ever experienced there and that includes w/ guests who we all know can be jerks.

Last edited:
Last time I was at WDW, I had a humiliating experience at the ToT where I was made to get in a manual wheelchair and find someone w/ strength to push me up the hill. I know the que is narrow so ECVs can't maneuver them. I get that. I didn't have the strength and neither did my 9 yo son who was with me. It was completely humiliating and EVERYONE was watching. No exaggeration. I know they don't have to make you do that because earlier in the day, right at park opening, they just had me drive through the store and go in the back way. I'll be in a power wheelchair this time. i don't have the strength to push that or a manual chair and again, neither will the people with me. I'm a very pooh sized gal. What can I do so I'm not humiliated again? The CMs at the entrance seemed to take particular joy seeing my inability to do the work myself. I tod them I couldn't push myself and my little son obviously couldn't. They didn't care. It was the cruelest thing I've ever experienced there and that includes w/ guests who we all know can be jerks.

I'm sorry to hear about your experience.

Since you will be in a power chair for your next trip, it shouldn't be an issue. You will just explain that you can't transfer.

Wheelchairs tend to be treated differently at WDW than ECVs. I won't say that they are taken more "seriously" by CMs, but personally, I have noticed that with an ECV, the assumption by many CMs is that you *can* walk, but don't because you have the ECV, where with a wheelchair, the assumption is that you *can't* walk because you have a wheelchair. In other words, if you were really disabled, you would be in a wheelchair.

Now, we both know that's not necessarily true. By that definition, I should be in a wheelchair, but I choose to use my personal ECV because it is actually lighter than any power chair that I have been able to find, and I can (for now) still load/unload it from my car on my own. That independence is priceless to me, and I will continue to use my personal mobility device for as long as I can because of it.

But, CMs at WDW don't know that. My reason for using my ECV over a power chair is invisible to them (as is my disability). So, I have to tell CMs often that I can't transfer and that I use my device in lieu of a power wheelchair.

There's no guarantee, of course. For example, this is a recent report here on this forum, from a DVC member whose wife had problems at AK. And there are rides where you may be required to transfer to a manual chair (thinking here of Pirates & Buzz at MK) because this is historically how they have managed those queues.

I'm sorry to hear about your experience.

Since you will be in a power chair for your next trip, it shouldn't be an issue. You will just explain that you can't transfer.

Wheelchairs tend to be treated differently at WDW than ECVs. I won't say that they are taken more "seriously" by CMs, but personally, I have noticed that with an ECV, the assumption by many CMs is that you *can* walk, but don't because you have the ECV, where with a wheelchair, the assumption is that you *can't* walk because you have a wheelchair. In other words, if you were really disabled, you would be in a wheelchair.

Now, we both know that's not necessarily true. By that definition, I should be in a wheelchair, but I choose to use my personal ECV because it is actually lighter than any power chair that I have been able to find, and I can (for now) still load/unload it from my car on my own. That independence is priceless to me, and I will continue to use my personal mobility device for as long as I can because of it.

But, CMs at WDW don't know that. My reason for using my ECV over a power chair is invisible to them (as is my disability). So, I have to tell CMs often that I can't transfer and that I use my device in lieu of a power wheelchair.

There's no guarantee, of course. For example, this is a recent report here on this forum, from a DVC member whose wife had problems at AK. And there are rides where you may be required to transfer to a manual chair (thinking here of Pirates & Buzz at MK) because this is historically how they have managed those queues.
Thanks so much, MammaBun. 🥰 Thanks for the link to that thread too. Really good info there.

And you’re darned tootin right driving a power chair is VERY different! Lordy! I just started to use mine and lord in heaven, a crowded, tight place is NOT the place to learn. I plan on getting a LOT of miles in in the 7 months before our trip. 👍

Did you ask them if you had to transfer? I also had a terrible experience at Test Track once, when I asked at the entrance if I could go in with my ECV. They told me that no, I had to transfer to a manual wheelchair. Since I was solo, I told them I couldn't push myself and they said that that was the policy. FP+ wasted. Next trip, I didn't ask, just kept driving my ECV and waited for someone to stop me. No one did!
I'm so sorry this happen to you. Frustrating and Embarrassing!

Did you ask them if you had to transfer? I also had a terrible experience at Test Track once, when I asked at the entrance if I could go in with my ECV. They told me that no, I had to transfer to a manual wheelchair. Since I was solo, I told them I couldn't push myself and they said that that was the policy. FP+ wasted. Next trip, I didn't ask, just kept driving my ECV and waited for someone to stop me. No one did!
I'm so sorry this happen to you. Frustrating and Embarrassing!
Yes. I did. I told them what they had let me do just an hour prior and he said no, I HAD to transfer even though it was an ordeal and someone took pity on me and pushed me up the hill. I wanted to melt away. 😥 My son was able to push at that point, but we ran into everything and everyone as he and I just weren’t strong enough. 😥 I wonder if this is something I could ask about at guest services?

Yes. I did. I told them what they had let me do just an hour prior and he said no, I HAD to transfer even though it was an ordeal and someone took pity on me and pushed me up the hill. I wanted to melt away. 😥 My son was able to push at that point, but we ran into everything and everyone as he and I just weren’t strong enough. 😥 I wonder if this is something I could ask about at guest services?

You can ask at Guest Relations, but you may not need to, since you are planning on using the power wheelchair. You have the option of trying the chair first, and if that doesn't work, you can take @kaytieeldr's suggestion, and/or then work with Guest Relations.

I understand that you were deeply impacted by this but the power wheelchair you are planning on may be all you need to avoid a similar situation in the future.

Once he feels better, maybe reach out to our @RaySharpton (who has a whole thread on his power chair here) and ask him what his experiences have been.

Oh how i hope your next experience is a better one! :hug: CM's usually do their very best but snafus happen sometimes. When last at Magic Kingdom i was in my manual chair at HM with my 2 kids and husband they put us in a dark corridor to wait for a car? tram? what on earth for you call them. Twenty minutes later someone came back in and was startled to find us all in the dark still waiting there. They had entirely forgotten us, they apologized, and we all laughed it off. Was a truly odd experience though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!