AUGUST 2017 Car rental watch

I booked Alamo back in March for my Aug. 1-9 trip and I'm sooooooo glad I did! I got $261 for a standard! Pays to start early I guess!! :)

I booked Alamo back in March for my Aug. 1-9 trip and I'm sooooooo glad I did! I got $261 for a standard! Pays to start early I guess!! :)

That's not too bad. It does pay to reserve a quote you can live with as early as possible. It also pays to keep looking for a rate drop. When you factor in the actual per day cost, which for me would be $31($463/15). I can live with that if there are no rate drops. But one year I paid $180 for 10 days, which sounds alot better. I am not trying to be a Debbie Downer, but I am very disappointed with rates this year. But usually I end up with something more affordable than my original quote. I think its all part of the fun of vacation planning. I think your quote of $261 is pretty good. Right along the line with mine @ $30/day. But, I am still hoping we see rates closer to $20/day real soon!!! :goodvibes

It's time to keep an eye on July rates in the July rental thread. I think watching that thread will give us a better idea of what to expect. August is when the season is coming to an end and our rates should be better than what they are getting in July.

well after reading thru this thread I am convinced that car rates are crazy high this year,it's not my imagination!

I really think it depends on when you reserve your car, and which type of car you need. I needed a car for 6 tall adults, so needed a minivan. I was sure that it would be very expensive, but I think that $288, extra driver and fees/taxes included, is pretty ok for 7 nights. I'll keep looking, but know that next time I will reserve even earlier (more than 5 months ahead) and just keep checking. The prices do bounce all over. The rates have been as high as 1,200, and as low as what I will be paying.

Surely we have to see some fluctuations in these rates soon. Not only are they super high but there has been barely any movement. Very different than previous years.
And I've been watching the July thread for comparisons but it's dead and they aren't seeing any good rates (that anyone is reporting anyway). Concerning.

The car rates fluctuate a lot within a day - I just checked the Costco Travel site for their rental costs, and if I was reserving today for August, I would save a few hundred by renting around Disney World then dropping the car back at the airport. I searched the Disney Car Care Center, and a number of hotels near Disney Springs. Also, by picking up a car a day later, I "saved" an additional $100 - ymmv.

I am booked for $31/day for my 14 day rental the end of August (total $433). I think I booked back in March as well. Right now the rates are about $750 using Alamo Insiders, Costco, and free upgrade for the same time period. Curiously, the rate for 8 nights Aug 25 to Sept 2nd (Disney Car Care to MCO) stands at $750 as well. You would think there would be some savings with an 8 day rental vs a 14 day rental. :confused3

We were planning on driving to Disney next month but then were able to find a great deal on flights with Spirit Airlines with good flight times. I can't believe how expensive it is to add a car rental to this trip (Aug 12-20). The lowest price I am getting for Alamo at MCO is $388. Pick up/Drop off at the Car Care center brings it down to $277 but I would also return the car on the 19th if I went this route. Contract ID 7015309 Coupon Code AD2823JAZ Standard size car.

I'll just stick to Disney transportation if I can't find a price below $200. I'll also try Priceline name your price closer to our dates. We always take Disney Transportation to the Magic Kingdom and Disney Springs (especially this time as we are staying at Port Orleans) but I prefer driving to the water parks, AK, EP, and HS.

yeah, I booked my late August for 5 days, months ago, and have not seen it lower, not even close, since I booked. Same with my 2 weeks at start of October. Used costco and insider discount months ago. Neither time would it let me use any coupons.

I've been following this thread since last summer, and can't believe the prices haven't gone down! I booked an Intermediate for 5 days end of Aug. Pick up at MCO, drop off at Port Canaveral for $131. Alamo through Costco. I booked this last OCTOBER assuming I'd keep and eye on it and book again when it dropped. I've only seen it go up and up. The lowest I've seen since I booked is high $200's, with a lot of rates in the $500-$700 range :crazy2:

I booked another car after our cruise for $36 through Hertz from Port Canaveral to MCO, so a 1-day, 1-way. That price hasn't gone down either!!!

I guess I'm OK with the prices (this is the first time we've rented a car in Orlando, usually it's a Disney trip with ME, but this time it's a Universal/Cruise trip).

We always take Disney Transportation to the Magic Kingdom and Disney Springs (especially this time as we are staying at Port Orleans) but I prefer driving to the water parks, AK, EP, and HS.

The waterparks/mini-golf are two of the main reasons that we would like a car this time as well!

Surely we have to see some fluctuations in these rates soon. Not only are they super high but there has been barely any movement. Very different than previous years.
And I've been watching the July thread for comparisons but it's dead and they aren't seeing any good rates (that anyone is reporting anyway). Concerning.
I AGREE!!!!!

Getting frustrated, when are these rates going to come down a little?? Like Pigletto said, there just hasn't been much movement at all, if any-I even tried picking up at Hard Rock, over $800, really?? We have 6 weeks to go, still hoping there is some movement...

When my car rental price is higher than I want to pay and my vacation is approx

one
week away .. I would choose to use priceline* or Hotwire.

Twice in the past my Priceline Results were Budget Car Rental

ETA .. I mean *Priceline Name your own price*

I would start with a *very low bid* and increase it slowly over the next few days.

Last edited:
When my car rental price is higher than I want to pay and my vacation is approx one

week away .. I choose to use priceline or hotwire (Result = Budget Car Rental)
I've been trying priceline but the prices are the same as all the others. So crazy high!

I've been trying priceline but the prices are the same as all the others. So crazy high!
Yeah- my current quote is 296(not orlando) for 10 days- surprise vehicle....I'm keeping it b/c when I checked the rate today it was over $500:faint: things have definitely changed in a big way. I need that free 2nd driver too with my costco code so I have fewer choices.

I am so relieved! I didn't realize that Mousesavers has a relationship with Hertz that includes a special rate through their newsletter. I booked a full size one-way from MCO to FLL for 8 days for $355 all inclusive. Costco was up to $700 yesterday!!!!

I am so relieved! I didn't realize that Mousesavers has a relationship with Hertz that includes a special rate through their newsletter. I booked a full size one-way from MCO to FLL for 8 days for $355 all inclusive. Costco was up to $700 yesterday!!!!

That's progress, but keep looking. Hertz historically tends to be on the high side, even with Mousesavers or other discounts. Hopefully rates will come down some more as the date gets closer.

Rates are down today for Alamo....$592 for 14 days Aug 19 to Sept 2 for a standard with free upgrade to fullsize using Costco Code 7014627 and Coupon Code AU2291VYT. Still not as low as I booked in March ($433) but a trend in the right direction.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter