AUGUST 2017 Car rental watch

Omgoodness, these prices are crazy! This morning I booked an intermediate size car for $225 that same car is now $529! WTH?

I just checked and there seems to be good prices for some of you in Mid/Late August if you pick up at Disney Car Care and drop off at MCO. Examples: pick up at Disney Car Care on the 17th at 10 am, drop off at MCO on the 23rd at 2 pm. Cost (total including extra driver/taxes/fees) = $207.95 for an intermediate suv. $296 for a Fullsize SUV (seats 7). Forget minivans - much less to rent and return to the airport.

You might want to run this scenario for your dates. On the Costco Travel site.

I just checked and there seems to be good prices for some of you in Mid/Late August if you pick up at Disney Car Care and drop off at MCO. Examples: pick up at Disney Car Care on the 17th at 10 am, drop off at MCO on the 23rd at 2 pm. Cost (total including extra driver/taxes/fees) = $207.95 for an intermediate suv. $296 for a Fullsize SUV (seats 7). Forget minivans - much less to rent and return to the airport.

You might want to run this scenario for your dates. On the Costco Travel site.

I tried to input that scenario into the costco site and it won't work. So I tried to run a rental from mco to mco (like I've done 1000 times in the last 6 months lol) and it won't work either! Anyone else having issues with the costco site this morning?

I tried to input that scenario into the costco site and it won't work. So I tried to run a rental from mco to mco (like I've done 1000 times in the last 6 months lol) and it won't work either! Anyone else having issues with the costco site this morning?

Ok I got it to work and for 11 days pickup at Disney Car Center and drop off at MCO a standard car was $895. Not exactly a great deal.

Ok I got it to work and for 11 days pickup at Disney Car Center and drop off at MCO a standard car was $895. Not exactly a great deal.

No that is not! Did you try it from other on-site Disney locations? (for example, hotels near Disney Springs)?

Mine through Costco went down- different vehicle type went from Standard car to intermediate SUV. Dropped $21

Aug 6-11 Intermediate SUV $167
Started at $214 with intermediate car in April

I do cancel when I rebook

And 5 minutes later after I booked it vanished!
So it pays to check often!

Last edited:
my rates for July-August (not FL) are going UP UP UP I've never seen rates so high

I just booked through Costco last night, $274 for an intermediate with Alamo, Aug 23-30. That's down from what it was a week or so ago. USAA is still over $300 for that time, and its cheapest ones are with Budget.

Checked Costco this afternoon and this same deal was back down to $257. Re-booked and saved a few bucks!

We are still at $444 for a full sized van for 10 days. After exchange that will be over $600 for us. Yuck.
I'm not too worried and believe it will come down. I also have the option of just renting a van for seven days and returning when we take some of our party back to the airport. Then those of us staying for another 3 days could rent something smaller for the weekend or use Uber to and from Universal. So I will get it lower somehow. We're 56 days out. Some years I got my best rates at 6 weeks out. The last several trips it seems it gets lower really close to the trip.. so I'm still hopedul.

We are still at $444 for a full sized van for 10 days. After exchange that will be over $600 for us. Yuck.
I'm not too worried and believe it will come down. I also have the option of just renting a van for seven days and returning when we take some of our party back to the airport. Then those of us staying for another 3 days could rent something smaller for the weekend or use Uber to and from Universal. So I will get it lower somehow. We're 56 days out. Some years I got my best rates at 6 weeks out. The last several trips it seems it gets lower really close to the trip.. so I'm still hopedul.

Am I doing something wrong? 11 days , Aug 19-30 and I'm still getting way over $500 for a standard on the costco site !!! Is there some kind of discount or something I should be inputting? How are you getting a van for only one day less than me and it's $444. Help!

I haven't been able to top the $433 for 14 days for a fullsize car Aug 19 to Sept 2. I booked that rate several months ago. I'm still hoping for it to come down but it's a lot better than what I am seeing right now for my dates.....$750 plus! I'm glad I booked it when I did. What makes it worse though is that I have to pay the exchange rate as I am Canadian.....ugh!

Hi Alamo guys and gals: try pricing this morning - for me using Costco and Disney AP (separately of course) both went down. Disney AP a bit lower. I'm at $588 for AP rate 18 days (late Aug), standard. HTH!

Thanks for the heads up about Alamo, I haven't booked yet, prices being so crazy-it dropped another $10.00 this morning, still just over $400 for late August for 13 days. I want to book when it drops below $400 at least. Other years we've been in the mid 300's or so. I don't have a Costco membership, so I'm using the 2 BJ's coupons. Any other suggestions for a different coupon that might help, always appreciated!

I have checked and rechecked daily. I guess I am happy with my $424, standard with Alamo for 15 days. In 2015 I got 2 weeks for $337, I'd love to see that again!

That's where my rates are now too-maybe I should book it, it's not like I don't check a thousand times to see if they dropped (lol!). They did start at around $700 when I first started looking-

After I posted this morning (after finding $578 for 18 days late Aug., pick up and drop off at MCO, standard car, Alamo, Disney AP rate 15000 (was cheaper than Costco)), I got $490 for same everything except dropping off at Dolphin (we're staying at BC so works for us). Oddly picking up and dropping off at Dolphin was almost $700. Dropping off at Car Care Center was also cheaper than at MCO. For the $90 I'll take ME or Uber to MCO from BC. (Which is fine with me in August: last year, driving back to MCO, was the most harrowing experience - driving with 0 visibility due to heavy rain storm. I'm happy to save $100 and not drive - but if I wasn't staying walking distance to the car drop off location I wouldn't bother.)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!