August 2017 Disneyland Check-In & Chat!

im still trying to decide which reservations to make, if any at all! :eek:

I know that feeling! I've made two reservations for our first two full days, to two places where we definitely knew we wanted to eat. But other than that I've decided to just go with the flow this vacation and if we decide we want to eat somewhere while we're there I'm just going to see if there's availability (this is a super hard thing for me to do, lol).

Wow! This seems like really late to be booking flights. We had ours booked at 3 months and we would have gotten a better price at 4+ months. Our same flights are over $100 higher today from three months ago. How do you manage the cost?
I was waiting until I had enough avion points to be able to book on rewards points.

Wow! This seems like really late to be booking flights. We had ours booked at 3 months and we would have gotten a better price at 4+ months. Our same flights are over $100 higher today from three months ago. How do you manage the cost?
Airline tickets can be quite variable, and also depend on the airline and the route. I just went and checked, I booked our flights for end of August 2015 on July 16 - the ticket price was 20% lower than the lowest I had seen every time I checked in the previous 6 months, and comparable to the best prices I'd seen in years past.

i may make a reservation at carnation cafe, i am waiting to see if there are any fantasmic packages released that won't break my bank!!!!!

we are at DL for a total of 8 days (split 4 and 4) and I know QS will get tiresome quickly!

We will be in the area aug 11-19. Thinking Disneyland 13-17. Staying at the Hyatt Regency Orange County.

This is my families first trip to Disneyland. We have been to Disney World numerous times and we are really excited to see what Disneyland has to offer.

i may make a reservation at carnation cafe, i am waiting to see if there are any fantasmic packages released that won't break my bank!!!!!

we are at DL for a total of 8 days (split 4 and 4) and I know QS will get tiresome quickly!

Also waiting for Fantasmic packages that aren't outrageous. We already splurged on WOC dessert party, but my goal is to see the evening shows with minimum stress. For the rest of meals, our plan is to eat breakfast in the room, early lunch in the parks, dinner from someplace between the parks and HOJO (Mimi's Café, Pizza Hut Express, McD), and evening snacks in the parks.

Any favorite only-in-Disneyland/DCA snacks that we must try? I've promised my Mary Poppins fan that we'll get treats at the Jolly Holiday. I was also thinking weird popcorn at Cozy Cone, but need alternative snack ideas for the kid with braces.

Also waiting for Fantasmic packages that aren't outrageous. We already splurged on WOC dessert party, but my goal is to see the evening shows with minimum stress. For the rest of meals, our plan is to eat breakfast in the room, early lunch in the parks, dinner from someplace between the parks and HOJO (Mimi's Café, Pizza Hut Express, McD), and evening snacks in the parks.

Any favorite only-in-Disneyland/DCA snacks that we must try? I've promised my Mary Poppins fan that we'll get treats at the Jolly Holiday. I was also thinking weird popcorn at Cozy Cone, but need alternative snack ideas for the kid with braces.

It's crazy how late things are announced at DL (i.e. with Fantasmic dining/dessert packages not known yet). We're booking 1 character meal, Cafe Orleans, Carnation Cafe (but may cancel this one)...and then need to decide between WOC dining package or Fantasmic dining package. I'm going to book WOC dining. I know that Fantasmic will be busy since it is just returning, but my reasoning is that we saw Fantasmic at WDW and WOC is new for us. The dessert package is too much for us. If we were just doing Disney then I would have gone for it, but Disney is part of a 10 day trip for us so hard to justify that cost for an hour or two.

We are heading to DL for the first time from August 21-24, and then visiting San Diego for a few days, then LA and Universal. I'm really excited, but concerned about a few things. We went to WDW during the same period of August 2 years ago. The crowds were amazingly light, but the heat was almost unbearable. I understand that Anaheim's August heat is not comparable to Florida's, but I'm still a little spooked.

Also, since we are in the EST, I worry about the kids not being able to be up for Fantasmic and WOC. As they're 9 and 6, I don't know how amenable they'll be to an afternoon nap. Any positive experiences with this or tips to offer?

Finally, we'll be there on the first week that AP holders are allowed back in, and with the Rivers of America having reopened, and with the new Fantasmic, I'm worried that the crowds will be unbearable.

Of course, even if my worst fears were to come true with all that, it would still be a great trip. :D

It's crazy how late things are announced at DL (i.e. with Fantasmic dining/dessert packages not known yet). We're booking 1 character meal, Cafe Orleans, Carnation Cafe (but may cancel this one)...and then need to decide between WOC dining package or Fantasmic dining package. I'm going to book WOC dining. I know that Fantasmic will be busy since it is just returning, but my reasoning is that we saw Fantasmic at WDW and WOC is new for us. The dessert package is too much for us. If we were just doing Disney then I would have gone for it, but Disney is part of a 10 day trip for us so hard to justify that cost for an hour or two.
Yes, it is crazy. I really want to do the fantasmic dining package at Blue Bayou as our one big splurge for the trip (if it's offered). Our famiyl loves the WDW version, and I'm told the DL version is way better. I hate waiting in crowds for fireworks and parades, and I'm almost to the point where I feel like refusing the whole thing no matter what the partner and kids say, so this is a good solution if it happens.

How have they not even posted the hours for August yet? Or when the Haunted Mansion shuts down for it's holiday makeover? o_O

We are driving cross country from Michigan, so we still have some logistical planning to finalize before we can set the dates exactly. All I know for sure is that we *will* be inside the parks on my birthday on the 25th!

Oh
Yay! Glad to see an August post pop up! My husband & I are 95% sure we are going towards the end of the month to celebrate my 40th birthday. My husband has never been inside Disneyland (despite having stayed nearby & even on site on previous trips when I went in the parks & he bummed around So Cal). He has promised to get a 4 day ticket to FINALLY come see what i keep making such a fuss about. Will post dates when they are finalized (probably within the month). We'll be there for probably 7 or 8 days (I'm going again in early December with my mom, so I have an AP I'll be activating in August), with me hitting the parks for at least part of all the days, and my husband joining me on 4 of them.

We are driving cross country from Michigan, so we still have some logistical planning to finalize before we can set the dates exactly. All I know for sure is that we *will* be inside the parks on my birthday on the 25th!

~Meg

Oh fun! I live in MI also and I would LOVE to have the time to do this...one of these years I definitely will!

Last night we were talking about making a reservation at Carnation Cafe but we've decided we'll wait and decide once we're either a week out or at the beginning of our trip, so we can see if we want to or not. But for the same reason - we don't want to have to eat at the same QS all the time!

We will be in the area aug 11-19. Thinking Disneyland 13-17. Staying at the Hyatt Regency Orange County.

This is my families first trip to Disneyland. We have been to Disney World numerous times and we are really excited to see what Disneyland has to offer.

Yay! I'll add you up to the list :)

I really like the churro bites at Cozy Cone or beignets are usually my go to snacks. Also Dole Whips lol.

We are heading to DL for the first time from August 21-24, and then visiting San Diego for a few days, then LA and Universal. I'm really excited, but concerned about a few things. We went to WDW during the same period of August 2 years ago. The crowds were amazingly light, but the heat was almost unbearable. I understand that Anaheim's August heat is not comparable to Florida's, but I'm still a little spooked.

Also, since we are in the EST, I worry about the kids not being able to be up for Fantasmic and WOC. As they're 9 and 6, I don't know how amenable they'll be to an afternoon nap. Any positive experiences with this or tips to offer?

Finally, we'll be there on the first week that AP holders are allowed back in, and with the Rivers of America having reopened, and with the new Fantasmic, I'm worried that the crowds will be unbearable.

Of course, even if my worst fears were to come true with all that, it would still be a great trip. :D

Honestly, I can't say for your kids but for me, when I travel through timezones, I try to keep my normal schedule the first day I'm anyway (so, if I go to bed at say 9 EST normally, I try to make it to 9 PST that day) and that helps my body adjust to the new time zone quickly, so that's how I deal with it. It may help them, it may not but it's an idea! :)

Oh

Oh fun! I live in MI also and I would LOVE to have the time to do this...one of these years I definitely will!
I hope you can do it! It is so much fun! This is my second time having an AP while living in Michigan (my previous one expired last October). The fact that my schedule is pretty flexible, allowing me to schedule trips when hotels and/or flights to/from Detroit are cheapest definitely helps make this possible. Unfortunately, the expense means Disney are my only real trips for a couple of years, but it is worth it!

We'll be there August 21st through 28th. I am going to try to post a trip report over on that board. Will have to see how much energy I have to record details. Usually I have a small Moleskine notebook I carry in my purse and take notes in while waiting in lines...now if I can just FIND that notebook before the trip, I should be set! 52 more days (I cannot wait!)

~Meg

Honestly, I can't say for your kids but for me, when I travel through timezones, I try to keep my normal schedule the first day I'm anyway (so, if I go to bed at say 9 EST normally, I try to make it to 9 PST that day) and that helps my body adjust to the new time zone quickly, so that's how I deal with it. It may help them, it may not but it's an idea! :)

I just want to second this suggestion...as all my family lives in California, but I live in eastern time zone, my husband and I travel out west often for visits and (usually!) try to do the same thing. It definitely helps. Good luck!

~Meg

Do you mean Disneyland/DCA only as opposed to DW?

Do you mean Disneyland/DCA only as opposed to DW?

Yes, mostly. This is our first -- and probably only -- trip to DL/DCA. OTOH, the only WDW snacks we've typically had are Dole whips and Mickey bars, so we're probably missing out on some treats that are at both WDW and DL/DCA. :) It goes without saying that I will be having a pineapple Dole whip.

I just want to second this suggestion...as all my family lives in California, but I live in eastern time zone, my husband and I travel out west often for visits and (usually!) try to do the same thing. It definitely helps. Good luck!

~Meg
Thanks! We've never taken the kids to another timezone before, so will definitely take the advice of veterans.

I am from MI, too! How funny we are all traveling cross country in August! Someday we will make the drive, but we only have so much time off this year so we're flying. :)

Thanks! We've never taken the kids to another timezone before, so will definitely take the advice of veterans.

I am from MI, too! How funny we are all traveling cross country in August! Someday we will make the drive, but we only have so much time off this year so we're flying. :)

Michiganders take over Disneyland this August!!! How funny, too, that we will be in the park on the same days! But, seriously, normally we don't travel in August due to the heat issues (I'm a heart patient & the heat is tough!), but everything just fell together perfectly for us to go and celebrate my 40th birthday in the parks, so we had to take this opportunity. When I was diagnosed with my congential heart problems, I was told I probably wouldn't reach my 40s, so we felt this milestone birthday needed a real fun celebration. I'm so glad to finally get to share my love of Disneyland with my husband.

Our trip has changed slightly...it turned into my husband driving both ways with me flying to California and me *probably* driving back with him (more on this when I write up my PTR next week) as I had a canceled flight & needed to use up that flight's voucher funds before they expired. This is a better option for me, as my husband prefers to drive really long stretches at a time & I need to get up and move about for my circulation, so this way he only has to accommodate me one way. The cross country drive is pretty awesome, I definitely recommend people do it at least once if they can.

~Meg

Just booked a last minute trip for August. We are going to the Pokemon World Championships at the Anaheim convention center, so why not do Disneyland too? :) Aug 19-21. Anyone know of any discounts on 1 or 2 day tickets? We are coming back in November but it looks like all tickets expire within 13 days of first use so I can't buy a 3-4 day and use it on both trips :(

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter