August 2017 Disneyland Check-In & Chat!

Did the A/C in the car get fixed?
Not yet, and he thinks he can diagnose and fix it himself (as the daughter & stepdaughter of mechanics who specialized in auto a/c repair, I know enough about this to be doubtful about his odds of success, but he is convinced he knows more about this topic than I do and I'm tired of arguing about it--and this *IS* his car & he pays all costs on it, so it he wants to mess it up, I guess that is his choice :sad2:). I decided I wasn't going to cancel my special birthday trip because I couldn't get home without extreme discomfort, so I booked a refundable, on sale flight with Southwest before the recent sale ended.

If either he manages to fix the a/c himself or gives in and takes it in for repairs, I'll cancel the flight & use the credit for my planned April 2018 Dapper Day DL girls-only trip with my best friend. If he doesn't, I'll fly home and let him decide whether he wants to be stubborn and still drive the car (doing night driving in the desert portions), or if he wants to book round trip airfare instead (this would actually cost less than the round trip gas plus hotels, even if he booked kinda late, so either way wouldn't really add to the overall trip costs!). Now that I have back up options in place, I can stop stressing about the return trip & can, instead, stress about the more *normal* worries, like how MaxPass will affect our trip, whether to book any special table service meals, whether there will be Fantasmic meal packages (and whether they would be willing/able to accommodate our special diet needs with the package)...:tongue:

~Meg

Just booked a last minute trip for August. We are going to the Pokemon World Championships at the Anaheim convention center, so why not do Disneyland too? :) Aug 19-21. Anyone know of any discounts on 1 or 2 day tickets? We are coming back in November but it looks like all tickets expire within 13 days of first use so I can't buy a 3-4 day and use it on both trips :(

That sounds like fun! I haven't heard of any general discounts, but you might want to check with the people running the Pokémon world championships...sometimes conventions & events arrange for discounted tickets (like, evening only ticket packages) for convention/event attendees. It's worth asking! Good luck!

~Meg

i may make a reservation at carnation cafe, i am waiting to see if there are any fantasmic packages released that won't break my bank!!!!!

we are at DL for a total of 8 days (split 4 and 4) and I know QS will get tiresome quickly!

I spoke with a CM on the phone to make some dining adjustments, and I asked about Fantasmic! Dining Packages (we're going to be @ DL on July 17th when it returns). I was told that they are going to begin bookings for those on July 6th, but he said to expect it to be difficult to get. He said he wasn't sure which restaurants for sure, but they will most likely include Blue Bayou.

I am also hoping for a Fantasmic! dining package. I really want to see the new Fantasmic! and the MSEP and the fireworks but I'm not sure how feasible that is going to be with only two nights in Disneyland. What does everyone's game plan look like for seeing the evening entertainment?

As far as reservations go I made one for Plaza Inn for character breakfast on our last morning. I made it as late as possible hoping that if my kids need to sleep in they can and we can still enjoy a character breakfast. We shall see! I tend to be a bit commando about my park touring but this is the first time we will be traveling with all four of our kids and I am really trying to set expectations for what we can accomplish pretty low.

Any favorite only-in-Disneyland/DCA snacks that we must try? I've promised my Mary Poppins fan that we'll get treats at the Jolly Holiday. I was also thinking weird popcorn at Cozy Cone, but need alternative snack ideas for the kid with braces.

If you're at Cozy Cone, I love the chili cone queso there, as well as the Red's Apple Freeze (which is a drink). My kids like the bacon mac and cheese at Cozy Cone. In DL, we like the fritters in New Orleans Square as well as the beignets. Bacon wrapped asparagus at Trader Sam's. And the pastry sticks (can't recall what they're called) at Maurice's Treats in Fantasyland. You may already have seen this, but if you're looking for different, you probably can't go wrong with the Summer of Heroes food they're having at DCA, lots of different snack choices:

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/b...f-heroes-at-disney-california-adventure-park/

Also, since we are in the EST, I worry about the kids not being able to be up for Fantasmic and WOC. As they're 9 and 6, I don't know how amenable they'll be to an afternoon nap. Any positive experiences with this or tips to offer?

We never had a problem with getting our kids to go back to the hotel mid-day until they were teens. At your kids' ages, they were pretty tired by afternoon and the idea that they could stay at the parks until midnight if they'd go back to the hotel for a few hours was always enough incentive. We just told them they didn't have to sleep, they just needed to lie down and rest. Which of course, resulted in sleep!

Thank you for that link. I somehow missed it when I read about the Summer of Heroes. My kids are superhero fans, so we will need to try a few of these. I don't think we can resist something called a Multiverse Parfait. :)

I spoke with a CM on the phone to make some dining adjustments, and I asked about Fantasmic! Dining Packages (we're going to be @ DL on July 17th when it returns). I was told that they are going to begin bookings for those on July 6th, but he said to expect it to be difficult to get. He said he wasn't sure which restaurants for sure, but they will most likely include Blue Bayou.

I was told the same thing when I called about 10 days ago. The person I spoke with also made it sound like these packages would be hard to come by. I went ahead and booked dinner reservations at the two restaurants they had F! dining packages for before the show went on hiatus to up my chances. Fingers crossed we can all get reservations!

I was told the same thing when I called about 10 days ago. The person I spoke with also made it sound like these packages would be hard to come by. I went ahead and booked dinner reservations at the two restaurants they had F! dining packages for before the show went on hiatus to up my chances. Fingers crossed we can all get reservations!
Good idea. Will they let you just switch those ADRs to F! packages? I've never done F! as a package and what I really want is a dessert party but a dining package would be great, too! I've been spoiled with the WOC dessert party. Lol!

Good idea. Curious what places had Fantastic dining before?

Good idea. Will they let you just switch those ADRs to F! packages? I've never done F! as a package and what I really want is a dessert party but a dining package would be great, too! I've been spoiled with the WOC dessert party. Lol!

I know what you mean about the dessert party! We booked the WOC dessert party for this trip (we LOVED it in December) and we're hoping for a similar option for F! They will let you switch them over, as long as there is still a dining package option available for the date of your reservation. I booked the two restaurants exactly an hour apart, since they don't let you have two reservations within an hour.

Good idea. Curious what places had Fantastic dining before?

They had the dining packages at Blue Bayou and River Belle Terrace when the show went on hiatus. I've read rumors that they could add more restaurants or even a dessert party, but nothing official.

I totally forgot about River Belle Terrace! Now there is no availability for my dates. I booked a MSEP at Blue Bayou for 8:00PM :crazy: hoping I can convert to a Fantasmic! package. That was the only time available a week ago. We shall see!

That's what I did as well, my hope is that I can call and upgrade my existing ressie to the F! package.

Hello! I'm so excited to have found this thread! We are going to DLR August 15 - 19th! It'll be our first time to California and we're so excited! We are a family of 5 - myself. husband, and 3 boys ages 8, 8, and 6. We're staying at the new Residence Inn near the Convention Center. I'm currently debating whether we should get 3 day or 4 day tickets...definitely going with Park Hopper. We're planning Downtown Disney for the evening of the 15th since it's our arrival day and I know we're be tired after the early flight and detour to see Hollywood on the way in :)

Personally I'd definitely do the 4 day hoppers. The total price difference for 4 people is only $100. Where are you going on your DTD evening? We always do DTD our first evening as well. We go to Rainforest Cafe. My girls are teens now but they both still love it!

Hi all! Not sure why I didn't see this thread before!? We will be there August 6-13th. Staying at VGC with dh and 2 DD (20 and 15)! Though we have had this trip booked for months, it now seems to have snuck up on me. We are DVC members and visit WDW often, however, this will be only our third trip to DL. Trying to research now the best transportation to/from airport (LAX). Previously used private services so we weren't stuck with multiple drop offs, etc. We have 5 day park hoppers. Would like to explore area more but dh HATES driving! Last time we visited Huntington Beach with rental car and enjoyed it. He is saying no way. Also really "need" a visit to In and Out! Perhaps sign up for Uber? Maybe a tour bus excursion elsewhere? Thanks for any info. Always enjoy the smartness of other Disers!

Last edited:
Personally I'd definitely do the 4 day hoppers. The total price difference for 4 people is only $100. Where are you going on your DTD evening? We always do DTD our first evening as well. We go to Rainforest Cafe. My girls are teens now but they both still love it!
is Rainforest open for dinner?

I'm leaning toward the 4 day hoppers - the price difference is so small! Do you happen to know, though, if I bought 3 days now could I add the 4th day and just pay the difference, like I could do at WDW if I do it before the end of the last day?

We're currently reserved at the Jazz Kitchen, but I'm wondering if we should change to the pizza/Italian place. We have a Rainforest Cafe here at home that we've done a few times :)

Hi all! Not sure why I didn't see this thread before!? We will be there August 6-13th. Staying at VGC with dh and 2 DD (20 and 15)! Though we have had this trip booked for months, it now seems to have snuck up on me. We are DVC members and visit WDW often, however, this will be only our third trip to DL. Trying to research now the best transportation to/from airport (LAX). Previously used private services so we weren't stuck with multiple drop offs, etc. We have 5 day park hoppers. Would like to explore area more but dh HATES driving! Last time we visited Huntington Beach with rental car and enjoyed it. He is saying no way. Also really "need" a visit to In and Out! Perhaps sign up for Uber? Maybe a tour bus excursion elsewhere? Thanks for any info. Always enjoy the smartness of other Disers!

I refuse to drive and want this to be a relaxing trip, so we're doing two excursions through the Anaheim Tour Company -- a beach tour and a half-day Hollywood Tour. We haven't decided on transportation from the airport yet.

... Trying to research now the best transportation to/from airport (LAX). Previously used private services so we weren't stuck with multiple drop offs, etc. We have 5 day park hoppers. Would like to explore area more but dh HATES driving!... Also really "need" a visit to In and Out! Perhaps sign up for Uber? Maybe a tour bus excursion elsewhere? ...

Many DISers have reported good experiences using Uber from LAX. That would also allow you to stop at a grocery store before arriving at the VGC to stock up on some things for your stay. Uber is easy to use to visit places from DLR, too. The closest In'N'Out is about 5 minutes from DLR (Ball Rd. and State College), so Uber would work great for that. There are tour bus excursions to Hollywood and other places. The concierge desk at the GCH should be able to help you with that info.

I'm leaning toward the 4 day hoppers - the price difference is so small! Do you happen to know, though, if I bought 3 days now could I add the 4th day and just pay the difference, like I could do at WDW if I do it before the end of the last day?
We're currently reserved at the Jazz Kitchen, but I'm wondering if we should change to the pizza/Italian place. We have a Rainforest Cafe here at home that we've done a few times :)

Yes, you can add a fourth day to your hoppers as long as you do it before the end of your third day. Just make sure that your tickets are upgradeable (it should say on the back if they are not). Both the Jazz Kitchen and Naples are fun. It just depends on what kind of food you like. Look at the menus on allears.net to see what appeals to you most.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter