August 2017 Disneyland Check-In & Chat!

Two weeks to go for our family coming together again at the DLR! All planning is complete so now we just watch the promo videos and dream of our arrival!! We had some extra planning to complete for our Vow renewals at the Disneyland Hotel and now just need to finish our personal vows and make sure we are in synch with the officiant on the ceremony itself. Our whole family has been participating in a 30-day Disney countdown text message and trivia string so everyone is really getting into the Disney spirit.

Y As I am vegan & on a low sodium diet, dining options in the park are limited for me & I don't have a ton of feedback there, but I bet others can give good feedback on which spots have a/c and when they are less busy.

~Meg

Whoops! Still new to this. I am new to this board and am enjoying reading and getting excited! I'll be visiting July 30th (my birthday!) - August 2nd, with my DS, 20, and his GF. My son is vegan, so I'd love any advice you can give about vegan dining in the parks. I did email Special Diets when I booked Afternoon Tea, F! Dining at River Belle Terrace, and WoC Dessert Party, and was told they can accommodate vegans at table service locations and I should tell the CM when we are seated, but because I am booking "special" dining events, I want to be certain there will be things my son can eat, especially if I am shelling out the big bucks!

Thanks!

Last edited:

Whoops! Still new to this. I am new to this board and am enjoying reading and getting excited! I'll be visiting July 30th (my birthday!) - August 2nd, with my DS, 20, and his GF. My son is vegan, so I'd love any advice you can give about vegan dining in the parks. I did email Special Diets when I booked Afternoon Tea, F! Dining at River Belle Terrace, and WoC Dessert Party, and was told they can accommodate vegans at table service locations and I should tell the CM when we are seated, but because I am booking "special" dining events, I want to be certain there will be things my son can eat, especially if I am shelling out the big bucks!

Thanks!

Yay, congrats on your birthday trip! My trip is a birthday trip, too. I hope you guys have a great time!

In regards to vegan eats in the park, there have been so many menu changes in the park the last few years (mostly for the better for us vegans!), so the best comprehensive guides I know of are a little out of date, referencing dishes which no longer exist (like my beloved crispy tofu salad at the Tangeroa Terrace :guilty:) or eateries which no longer exist or have been rethemed, like The Big Thunder Ranch Barbecue or Village Haus). That said, I'd suggest starting at this site, which was last updated in 2015:

http://www.vegancowgirl.com/blog/vegan-cowgirl-does-disneyland

If any dishes sound interesting to him, I'd cross reference with the current Disneyland menus (available on the official Disneyland phone app, I think also available on the website?) to make sure they are still offering that dish.

I would also suggest checking out the following Instagram accounts as these two people are in the park regularly & are updating their accounts on current vegan options (including some options only available this summer as specials):

https://www.instagram.com/happiestveganonearth/

(This 1st lady has a blog too, but hasn't updated it in a couple of months, the Instagram account is where she updates regularly) and also this account:

https://www.instagram.com/veganatdisneyland/

My personal vegan food highlights: Dole Whips are now vegan (they changed the formula a few years back, so they are now dairy free!), the Mickey shaped soft pretzels are vegan, the "vegetarian" gumbo in the bread boule at Royal Street Veranda is vegan (as is the bread boule) and this is, I swear, the most delicious & filling vegan meal in Disneyland. I also really like the Grilled Vegetable & Whole Grain Salad at the Jolly Holiday in Disneyland. It comes with a non-vegan breadstick which they add before packaging up your salad, so if/when he places the order, either ask your cashier to substitute a fruit cup instead, or just ask for the salad without the breadstick if he doesn't want the extra fruit. That salad is really delicious and quite filling.

A warning...Most of the veggie burgers are NOT vegan & contain eggs, exceptions being the vegan burger at Carnation Cafe in Disneyland (which I don't recommend--only time I've had a food poisoning type of reaction in 36 years of going to Disneyland was after eating this, and that was the only park food I ate that day) & I've been told there is a vegan burger not listed on the menu at Smokejumpers Grill in DCA...the veggie burger listed on the menu contains egg, but if he lets the server know, they have a Morningstar Farms vegan burger they can substitute (have not tried this one myself, but have been recommended it by other vegans).

Also, as much as I want to eat at Flo's V8 Cafe in Cars Land because I love the theming, nothing there is vegan or veganizable, so if you are considering eating there for a quick meal, he might want to try out another place (my friend recommended the Summer of Heroes food specials at the Studio Catering Company food truck in Hollywood Land--they have 3 options which are either vegan or can be made vegan--2 falafel meals & a set of tacos in which they substitute grilled cauliflower for the taco "meat").

Also, don't assume at counter service places that they will follow all directions...I have eaten at Cocina Cucamonga in DCA and had a delightful cast member walk through all the substitutions required to make my food dairy and egg-free, she walked my ticket over to the window and spoke directly with the cast member who assembled my plate & explained there was to be NO dairy whatsoever on a dish which usually contained cheese & sour cream. I then watched the gentleman skip the cheese and, totally on autopilot, accidentally grab the sour cream and move to put it on my dish! :crazy2: I caught him JUST in the nick of time, but if I hadn't, I would have made them prep me a new dish from scratch. If this happens to him, make sure he feels comfortable asking them to remake it.

In regards to whether or not something is vegan...sometimes you get conflicting info where what the server or register cash member is saying conflicts with what you read in advance online. If this happens, you can ask to speak with the chef.

At sit down restaurants, since you have reservations and know for sure you are eating there, definitely look at the vegan options in advance & go in with your meal request in mind or written down (usually the vegan option is a non-vegan dish with a list of modifications. I am usually so tired when I am sitting down to eat that I am afraid I'll forget to ask them to hold the cheese or something, so I go in with my written directions which I read off to the server). I also always ask for the special diet menu when I check in at sit down restaurants, they usually have that right on hand. Many counter service locations do, too.

In regards to the dining packages...my main worry there is to make sure he gets everything he is paying for...vegan friends have reported uneducated servers trying to say that because their meal had to be modified due to their diet, it didn't qualify as part of the package and not only did the server try to charge them for each dish individually, which was a different price, but they also tried to withhold package benefits (i.e., a Blue Bayou server tried to refuse my friend & her mom their Fantasmic passes because they didn't get the standard Fantasmic dessert and got the vegan sorbet instead--well, none of the dessert options on that original Fantasmic menu were vegan! Luckily the manager set that server straight!).

That said, you may also run into a server who says your son had to skip the dessert since it the package dessert option isn't vegan. That is not true, they are supposed to offer an option for those who can't eat dairy, egg, gluten, etc., so you are supposed to get a substitution. Not sure what they offer at RBT, but at Blue Bayou the dessert is your choice of sorbet (usually 2 flavors offered to choose from), I bet it is the same at RBT. So, yeah, be firm, make sure he doesn't get treated like a second class citizen & make sure he gets all the benefits he is allowed.

A word of warning on anything fried (like fries throughout the resort, the supposedly excellent tater tots at RBT, etc.)...usually they do not have a dedicated fryer and your fries would be cooked in the same oil as meat and/or seafood. Some vegans are OK with this, some are not, so make sure he knows this in advance.

Also, another protip: if he likes smoothies, the folk at Schmoozies in DCA can make any of the smoothies (which are normally made with yogurt) as a dairy free smoothie by just omitting it. I HIGHLY recommend this on a hot day! Very refreshing and filling! Some vegans are more strict, I know, so if he worries about cross contamination with dairy products, he can tell them at the window he has a dairy allergy. They have told me that they have a dedicated staff member on each shift who is fully trained on special diet/allergy needs & that staff member will do extra cleaning of the equipment and careful handling to make sure there is no dairy in contact with his smoothie. I was really impressed with how seriously they take all that. I have some lactose intolerant friends who are often nervous eating at places which serve dairy, but we feel really comfortable eating there given how strictly they handle the non-dairy requests.

Please hit me up if you have ANY other questions!

~Meg

Two weeks to go for our family coming together again at the DLR! All planning is complete so now we just watch the promo videos and dream of our arrival!! We had some extra planning to complete for our Vow renewals at the Disneyland Hotel and now just need to finish our personal vows and make sure we are in synch with the officiant on the ceremony itself. Our whole family has been participating in a 30-day Disney countdown text message and trivia string so everyone is really getting into the Disney spirit.
We are 2 weeks away! How are you doing the countdown?? Would love to do that with my family!!!

We leave in 2 weeks. Kids STILL do not know. I have never surprised them before. They know we are going to California (Santa Barbara and sequoia) We are flying into Anaheim and I'm wondering when they will figure it out. DH is planning on arriving tot he resort a different way then we normally do. I wonder if I should just let them look at iPads en route to the hotel. They are expecting a long car ride to sequoia.

Oh, and i have not lied at all. I really try to always be honest with the kids. I've had to do some fancy talking maneuvering to avoid spilling it. (ie. my eldest, 8 was asking about our first night's hotel. I commented we were splitting the drive to sequoia in 2 and staying in Bakersfield one night. ( think I had some other segway to get to that)

We are only doing a quick, 2 night trip to DLH.

Meg, what a huge help for vegetarians. My family is a meat eater but I don't eat beef or chicken.

cgh, that's awesome that you are surprising your kids. We just told our kids this past weekend (a bit earlier than planned as they saw the attendance at camp and asked why it said they weren't there for the whole time). You'll have to report back and let us know how it goes.

I'm going back and forth between the WOC and Fantasmic dining package. AT first I though WOC dining package and we would FastPass Fantasmic (since we have never seen WOC), but now I'm thinking the opposite. Unfortunately the week we come is the week Fantasmic switches from showing nightly to showing only Fri-Sun. So the Fri night is the only time we can see it, but it's also supposed to be super busy that night. Thus, I've booked Fantasmic dining package. I just hope that WOC FastPass gives us an ok view without us having to line up 2hrs beforehand. At least WOC still plays nightly so we can go on Tues or Wed night if that makes a difference in getting a FastPass or the crowd level.

Frozen2014, I just did the same thing last night (booked a Fantasmic dining package). We are there the 27-31st.. with Fantasmic only showing on our first day, the Sunday. I hadn't planned on it at all, but the more I thought about it.. with only one chance to see it during our four days, and that day is the CHOC walk, so I expect it to be a busy park day, and the fact that it's newly back, and we've never seen it.. I went for the dining package. It will be nice to have a more "hassle free" experience and somewhere to sit (albeit on the ground, but that's totally fine). I figured with WOC, it's showing nightly, it's not "new" for most people.. it'll be easier for us to watch without reserved seating (I hope :) ).

I also booked the Surfs Up character breakfast for the day we leave (non-park day and our flight doesn't leave LAX until 5pm). I really wanted to do Minnie's at the Plaza Inn (we've never done a character meal.. but with the reduced park hours, I was struggling with giving up precious park time, so Mickeys it is! Super excited about this!

Last edited:
Just planned a sort of spur of the moment trip for August 12-15 (only two parks days) to take my niece who is leaving for college in NY on August 26th!

I called today to ask about the WOC Dessert party, since I had booked it and wanted to know if they could accommodate a vegan. The CM who I talked with on the dining line told me that because the dessert party came already plated and did not have a dedicated kitchen, they could not accommodate a vegan request. Bummed, but glad I called. Cancelled and booked the WOC dinner package at Ariel's Grotto instead.
Still waiting to hear from the special.diets email whether they can do Afternoon Tea at Steakhouse 55 for a vegan.
Less than two weeks until our trip. I'm so excited!

Long time Disney fan, but first time Dis response!

I will be in the parks August 13th and 14th for my Bachelor party! Super excited to create some Disney memories with 6 of my best friends, some of which have never been to Disneyland.

We are staying at an AirBnB closer to the LA area.

Frozen2014, I just did the same thing last night (booked a Fantasmic dining package). We are there the 27-31st.. with Fantasmic only showing on our first day, the Sunday. I hadn't planned on it at all, but the more I thought about it.. with only one chance to see it during our four days, and that day is the CHOC walk, so I expect it to be a busy park day, and the fact that it's newly back, and we've never seen it.. I went for the dining package. It will be nice to have a more "hassle free" experience and somewhere to sit (albeit on the ground, but that's totally fine). I figured with WOC, it's showing nightly, it's not "new" for most people.. it'll be easier for us to watch without reserved seating (I hope :) ).

I also booked the Surfs Up character breakfast for the day we leave (non-park day and our flight doesn't leave LAX until 5pm). I really wanted to do Minnie's at the Plaza Inn (we've never done a character meal.. but with the reduced park hours, I was struggling with giving up precious park time, so Mickeys it is! Super excited about this!

Exactly! For us, it's the Marathon instead of CHOC walk...but sounds like exact same effect. DO you know what night WOC has the lowest crowds?

And yeah...we selected Goofy's Kitchen (vs Surfs Up). If we weren't doing a character meal too, then I'd maybe consider both dining packages.

PS - 303Disney - congrats! What an amazing place to have a bachelor party!

I called today to ask about the WOC Dessert party, since I had booked it and wanted to know if they could accommodate a vegan. The CM who I talked with on the dining line told me that because the dessert party came already plated and did not have a dedicated kitchen, they could not accommodate a vegan request. Bummed, but glad I called. Cancelled and booked the WOC dinner package at Ariel's Grotto instead.
Still waiting to hear from the special.diets email whether they can do Afternoon Tea at Steakhouse 55 for a vegan.

I'm not surprised about the WOC dessert. If I remember correctly, I think the only vegan thing included in that is fruit, so the only thing they would be able to do would be to give him a big old plate of fruit?? I could eat that, but I am a huge fruit lover, I don't think most people would be up for that (plus, at that price, I don't think I'd find it a good value!).

In re: the afternoon tea...are you talking about this one?

https://disneyland.disney.go.com/dining/disneyland-hotel/afternoon-tea/

I remember when it came out, they said there were vegan options available (but that you had to specify when booking so they could make sure the kitchen made them up for you). It's been a little while since it debuted, so I can't remember the details I heard, but it sounded potentially interesting--like something I'd love to do with my sister, who lives in the area & likes to go out to eat and would definitely appreciate sharing that sort of treat with me. Let us know how he likes the vegan options on any/all special meals you guys have...I know they exist, in theory, but for the most part, we don't get feedback on the boards about vegan options for most of the meal packages, only the super popular ones, like Fantasmic.

~Meg

I got the same response when inquiring about a peanut allergy for my daughter yesterday. Bums me out because I know for a fact on the WOC superthread different people had posted prepared plates that accommodated a GF diet and a nut allergy. I wonder when they changed it? Anyway, just wanted to say sorry that this new ruling affected your reservation as well :(

Long time Disney fan, but first time Dis response!

I will be in the parks August 13th and 14th for my Bachelor party! Super excited to create some Disney memories with 6 of my best friends, some of which have never been to Disneyland.

We are staying at an AirBnB closer to the LA area.

Welcome!!! I hope my son can go with his friends to Disney for his bachelor party one day! What a great time you will all have!!! Congratulations on your upcoming marriage!!!

I find that so incredibly disappointing. My son is contact anaphylactic to dairy, egg, sesame, peanut and tree nut. They normally are so good with allergies I can't believe they haven't figured something out!

-

We love Surf's UP! We always do that on our last day because we typically don't do a park day. It's such a nice way to say goodbye. I also think the interaction is better then at Goofy's. It's smaller and more intimate. A bit disappointed we aren't doing it this year. (we are doing just 2 nights, 1 1/2 day in park). We are doing Minnie's our last day as a result.

We are 2 weeks away! How are you doing the countdown?? Would love to do that with my family!!!

We don't do anything automated. Just a simple texting-string that we blast out to everyone's phone and use the family distribution list. I usually start it with a countdown to the BIG Day and then some trivia. On week two from travel day we started with:

[Day T-14: On this day in 1989, there was a dedication for one of our family's favorite rides at Disney Land. What is the name of the ride? Extra Credit - Along with the usual Disney characters, there was a voice actor present that played a character in the original movie that the ride was based upon. What character did the actor play?]

Kind of corny but we really get into it..

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!