August 2017 Disneyland Check-In & Chat!

In re: the afternoon tea...are you talking about this one?

https://disneyland.disney.go.com/dining/disneyland-hotel/afternoon-tea/

I remember when it came out, they said there were vegan options available (but that you had to specify when booking so they could make sure the kitchen made them up for you). It's been a little while since it debuted, so I can't remember the details I heard, but it sounded potentially interesting--like something I'd love to do with my sister, who lives in the area & likes to go out to eat and would definitely appreciate sharing that sort of treat with me. Let us know how he likes the vegan options on any/all special meals you guys have...I know they exist, in theory, but for the most part, we don't get feedback on the boards about vegan options for most of the meal packages, only the super popular ones, like Fantasmic.

Yes, that's the one. I heard back from Special Diets after I emailed with Steakhouse 55 Afternoon Tea specifically mentioned in my header. I was told they have a vegetarian option on all the table-service menus, including Afternoon Tea, that can "usually" be made vegan. Basically the same response I received the first time I emailed, with the inclusion of the comment that directly referred to tea. So I am keeping the reservation and hope it will be suitable for my son.
Only 9 more days until we are sitting down to the tea - very excited! And will report back on vegan findings :-)

Jumping in to this thread! We just booked August 27-31 at the Grand Californian! We took advantage of a 40% pin and just jumped at it! We have APs that expire in September and are super excited to try the GotG ride.

Last edited:
We are going to beat DL Aug. 20-26. Myself, DD 15, DS 12 and grandma and grandpa. We're staying at Paradise Pier! We visited last year the same week and it was great! We've been to both WDW and DL numerous times but the kids requested DL again this year.

Coming from Washington state, our flight gets in to LAX at 7:00 am on 8/20 and we plan to get an Uber to the hotel, drop our bags, and hit DL! This will be our chance to go Space Mountsin and see the MSEP.

We have 5 day park hoppers and we all like to be at the parks early and then DD and DS and I are usually there late... We spend as much time in the park as we can. My parents prefer to take more breaks and relax at the pool some.

We plan to do the Disney parks Sunday, Monday, and Tuesdsy- then go to Knotts on Wednesday and back to Disney for full park days Thursdsy and Friday. Saturday morning we are renting a car so we may go to the beach and then we have tickets for Medieval Times at 3:30. Our flight home is at 9:30 that night.

We have reservations for BB Fantasmic package on 8/21 for the late show and them we will go to Minnie's on Thursday- we all love it for a character breakfast! Can't wait!!!!

I still have 30 minutes in the central time zone, however I'll say 1 week!!!! I've had 2 people ask us if we are going to Disney when my kids have been around. We are planning on WDW in April 2018 so we just say in April we are going to Disney.

I hope they will be surprised...

Now I have changed my hotel reservation for the 3rd time. Now we are at the Hyatt House - August 23-26. I was worried about the quality of the beds at Candy Cane, I have back issues and most hotels we stay hurt my back. I hope this is the correct choice. It's so difficult in CA, you don't know where to stay! WDW in FL, we always stay onsite at Disney, so we never really worry - we know what to expect. I did receive a 40% pin, but Disneyland was still $80/night more expensive, and I just couldn't justify the extra spending. It doesn't seem like you get as many perks in CA when you are at a Disney resort. Still excited for our trip! Less than 30 days................

We are going to beat DL Aug. 20-26. Myself, DD 15, DS 12 and grandma and grandpa. We're staying at Paradise Pier! We visited last year the same week and it was great! We've been to both WDW and DL numerous times but the kids requested DL again this year.

Coming from Washington state, our flight gets in to LAX at 7:00 am on 8/20 and we plan to get an Uber to the hotel, drop our bags, and hit DL! This will be our chance to go Space Mountsin and see the MSEP.

We have 5 day park hoppers and we all like to be at the parks early and then DD and DS and I are usually there late... We spend as much time in the park as we can. My parents prefer to take more breaks and relax at the pool some.

We plan to do the Disney parks Sunday, Monday, and Tuesdsy- then go to Knotts on Wednesday and back to Disney for full park days Thursdsy and Friday. Saturday morning we are renting a car so we may go to the beach and then we have tickets for Medieval Times at 3:30. Our flight home is at 9:30 that night.

We have reservations for BB Fantasmic package on 8/21 for the late show and them we will go to Minnie's on Thursday- we all love it for a character breakfast! Can't wait!!!!

Hi from a fellow Washingtonian! I'm sure you know this, but you won't be able to get into your room if you arrive this early. Coming from WA on a plane you probably won't be dressed for the parks ... so wear layers if possible that you can take off when you arrive rather than trying to change clothes. Last time we stayed at the PP and arrived in the AM it was really a hassle to try to change clothes in their bathrooms! And pack anything you need for the parks on top so you can easily get to it when you arrive.

Hi from a fellow Washingtonian! I'm sure you know this, but you won't be able to get into your room if you arrive this early. Coming from WA on a plane you probably won't be dressed for the parks ... so wear layers if possible that you can take off when you arrive rather than trying to change clothes. Last time we stayed at the PP and arrived in the AM it was really a hassle to try to change clothes in their bathrooms! And pack anything you need for the parks on top so you can easily get to it when you arrive.

Hi, yes thanks for the reminder! We did the same trip, same flight at this time last year and we came dressed for a day at the parks. It's a lot easier to do in the summer.. not so easy when you leave Washington in the winter for a Disney trip! We were able to just do a quick bag drop at PP and then we were off to the park. I think it was about noon when they texted us our room was ready.

Hi
We are from southeastern Washington State and go to DLR x2 a year. Should be going on 8/17, but it looks like that will not take place. You'all have a magical trip(s).

Jack

Not quite as close as some but we leave in exactly one month today!

We are actually on our way home from a 2 week trip to Ontario visit family so the thought of packing again in a month's time is not very appealing. First world problems, I know!

This is our 11th DL trip as a family (DH and I spent our honeymoon there in 1999) and we had actually decided to take a break after our April trip this year. After we found out that one of DS's summer camps in August was canceled, DH out of nowhere said that we should take a few days and head down south! I am not one to disagree with my husband when he suggests that we go to Disney so I jumped right onto planning! We were going to stay at the Grand Legacy but before I could book it, Disneyland sent me a 40% off code that we were not going to pass up! GCH for $286/night is a great price.

We are from Victoria, BC and I was looking at flying out of Seattle but found semi-decently prices flights from Victoria. Even though we have to get up REEEEAAALLY early, we land at SNA at 10:30 am so we will have 3.5 days at the parks.

Last edited:
I've been watching the extended forecasts, and so far things don't look too bad!! August can be scary hot, so this makes me very happy!!

Not quite as close as some but we leave in exactly one month today!

We are actually on our way home from a 2 week trip to Ontario visit family so the thought of packing again in a month's time is not very appealing. First world problems, I know!

This is our 11th DL trip as a family (DH and I spent our honeymoon there in 1999) and we had actually decided to take a break after our April trip this year. After we found out that one of DS's summer camps in August was canceled, DH out of nowhere said that we should take a few days and head down south! I am not one to disagree with my husband when he suggests that we go to Disney so I jumped right onto planning! We were going to stay at the Grand Legacy but before I could book it, Disneyland sent me a 40% off code that we were not going to pass up! GCH for $286/night is a great price.

We are from Victoria, BC and I was looking at flying out of Seattle but found semi-decently prices flights from Victoria. Even though we have to get up REEEEAAALLY early, we land at SNA at 10:30 am so we will have 3.5 days at the parks.

i wish disney would send me a 40% off code, we have been APs for years but no offers.......i thought it had to do with being in BC but if you got one then i guess not!
Best offer I can find for grand is $322 per night during the week!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!