August 2021 Vacation - Orlando Here We Come !!!

TamaraQT

DIS Veteran
Well the time has come to start planning vacation for August 2021. :cheer2: I hope others will come along and share their plans too. We haven't been to Orlando since 2018 and we are hoping to be able to return in August 2021. As of now our dates are kind of up in the air. The 2 options on the table are Saturday 7/31 - Saturday 8/28. Or 8/7 - 9/4. :rolleyes: Leave it all up to me and I say we go for 5 weeks 7/31-9/4. :laughing: We are not sure yet but that is the fun of planning. On our last trip in 2018 we discovered a14 day unlimited pass to all SeaWorld/Busch Gardens parks that includes the waterparks (Aquatica/Adventure Island) and parking for less than $200 per person. My DD14 has little interest in Disney so why spend all that extra money. Instead we will extend our stay with the money we would potentially save. ::yes:: We rent a car so transportation is not an issue. Besides, driving to Tampa/Clearwater Beach area is part of our vacation anyway.
:beach:

This year I am trying again to have some of my family members to join us for at least 1 or 2 weeks. :grouphug: Also, I just purchased a timeshare on resale market. So now I will no longer have to rent timeshare units from owners. I will officially be an owner and can trade into some very nice Orlando resorts. So I am very excited about that!!! :goodvibes

As of now, I plan for us to stay at a different resort for every week of our 4 -5 week vacation. I watched MANY YouTube videos of different ones and came up with a list a list of places to try. So far on my list are Sheraton Vistana Resort, Sheraton Vistana Villages, Hilton Grand Vacations-Tuscany Village, Hilton Grand Vacations-SeaWorld, and Grand Beach Resort. We have always enjoyed our stays at Wyndham Bonnet Creek, Orange Lake Resort and Westgate Resort. I thought that maybe we can try something different during our extended stay. We will probably still stay at Westgate and Orange Lake for a week each and then add a week at 2 NEW places. Eventually I will narrow it down based on availability. But I appreciate having options and enjoy doing the research.
:surfweb:

So lets share our off-site vacation plans for August 2021. Where do you plan to stay off-site, where do you plan on dining, what are some of your favorite off-site restaurants. If you are staying in a timeshare unit, do you plan to make some quick meals. What off-site attractions are in your vacation plans? Lets enjoy the countdown. :cool1:

We stay at vistana @idrive...
We have ds10 and ds13 that still live at home
We order food from walmart curbside pick up..
My DH and DS25 love to grill and they have gas grills and tools you can use... so we buy lots of grilling dinners. They have a smores party one night so buy s'mores items if you dont want to buy it from them.
We also buy go orlando passes on groupon usually 3 days you get unlimited use of as many attractions on the list.
We go to central florida twice a year. Once to our time share and once to a disney property.

We stay at vistana @idrive...
We have ds10 and ds13 that still live at home
We order food from walmart curbside pick up..
My DH and DS25 love to grill and they have gas grills and tools you can use... so we buy lots of grilling dinners. They have a smores party one night so buy s'mores items if you dont want to buy it from them.
We also buy go orlando passes on groupon usually 3 days you get unlimited use of as many attractions on the list.
We go to central florida twice a year. Once to our time share and once to a disney property.

I have never stayed at either one of the Sheratons and I am looking forward to possibly staying at one. I have stayed at Westgate Lakes(Orlando), Westgate Town Center/Vacation Villas(Kissimmee), Orange Lake Resort West Village and River Island. I also stayed at Wyndham Bonnet Creek twice. I have a dd14 and usually her cousin comes along with us. I have never used the grills at any resorts because unfortunately for me my DH doesn't cook. :rolleyes2 I did the Walmart Online a few weeks before we arrived and just drove up and picked up. That was very convenient. We were staying at Orange Lake. And lucky for us, Orange Lake held our groceries in cold storage until our room was ready. I will look into the Orlando passes you have suggested. I know even though we have a rental car my DD and niece wants to ride on the Lynx bus at least once just to say they did it. We also want to do the I-ride trolley from one end of I-drive to the next. Of course we will shop at the outlets at the end of each stop. Since she is older, she is into shopping outlets more and Orlando has some fantastic malls and outlets. Thanks for sharing your experience. I hope I can get a Sheraton unit for one of our vacation weeks.

Hi Tamara! I don’t remember what timeshare you got (saw it on TUG)- what system did you end up with? Are you in Interval or RCI? We ended up getting another (free-even next year MF paid) TS -this one in Hawaii. It is more silver crown level than gold, but should be a good trader.

We will be back in August again. IF Disney is fully functioning/things are normal I expect we will have a weekend there. Hubs oldest daughter has a yearly conference there and we can tag along at convention rates-of course it was cancelled this year (was supposed to be Contemporary this past august, last year was at Grand Floridian). But we will likely stay at a MVC resort-probably Cypress Harbour as it is my favorite, and we will have Universal Annual Passes. Plus now my middle kid is a student at University of Central Florida. Have joked for years that we really just need to buy a condo in Orlando.

I know you usually go to Orlando for extended weeks, but do you go more than once? Am asking because I finally got an Owners Locker-really should have done it years ago. It is nice to keep things there rather than haul back and forth-our reusable cups, coffee filters, I got a Brita water pitcher this last time, the alcohol we buy and NEVER finish, towels, my coffee mugs (hubby has requested I not bring more home, but the resort coffee cups are too dang small so I always buy at least one). Since we stay with full kitchens I can now add spices to the box, full size sunscreen etc. Alot of this stuff means I can go with just a carryon on the plane too. Plus not having to buy same stuff each time only to have 1/2 wasted.

If you have the ability-would try to get into a Marriott Vacation Club resort for one of your weeks. Each time I am tempted to try a different system I just can't make myself do it. Heading back to our favorite Cypress Harbour in a few weeks, having stayed at Harbour Lake (2 weeks) and Grande Vista (1 week) this summer. Our new TS trades in RCL so may try for a Bonnet Creek next summer...

Hi Tamara! I don’t remember what timeshare you got (saw it on TUG)- what system did you end up with? Are you in Interval or RCI? We ended up getting another (free-even next year MF paid) TS -this one in Hawaii. It is more silver crown level than gold, but should be a good trader.

Hi Monykalyn!

I couple of months ago I got a free 4BD/4BA at Woodstone in Massanutten, VA. I snatched it for trade purposes. It's week 28 and trades in RCI. I can deposit/trade it as 2-2 bedroom units. So it will give me 2 weeks of vacation for the price of one. The MFees are under $1000k. In fact, when you factor in the RCI membership and the trade fee, I get 2 weeks in a 2 bedroom for about $700 a week. Its a gold crown in RCI so it should pull some Marriott's and Sheratons. The owner even gave me their 2020 week as an extra incentive. So in 2021 I will have 8bedrooms available for use. I will break it down into 2-2bedrooms at one resort for 2 weeks, and then 2-2bedrooms at another for 2 weeks. So that will be 4 weeks in August and I am excited about that. Also one of my TUG buds, showed me how I can pull DVC by saving some of my annual TPUs but I have no interest in DVC anyway. Now on top of that, Just the other day I bid on an eBay auction for an annual 4bedroom at The Colonies at Williamsburg. It's a week 33 which is mid-August. That auction was crazy. People are beginning to notice the value of the Virginia resorts that have 4 bedroom with low MFees. I was determined to win that one since it trades in II as one of their gold crowns. Now those definitely pull great trades as II has the more gold crown resorts. So for about $2k a year, I am going to have some pretty good options for Orlando Trades. One of my favorite TUG buds also owns at Williamsburg and the places he trades into is fascinating. He goes to Hawaii and other islands often using his Williamsburg for trades. I selected a few TUG buds to guide and navigate me thru the process of finding the best resort to meet my needs. They always say, buy where you want to go. But Orlando MFees are high. It's easy to trade into Orlando so no need to own and pay those MFees. I am very excited!!!!

I know you usually go to Orlando for extended weeks, but do you go more than once? Am asking because I finally got an Owners Locker-really should have done it years ago. It is nice to keep things there rather than haul back and forth-our reusable cups, coffee filters, I got a Brita water pitcher this last time, the alcohol we buy and NEVER finish, towels, my coffee (hubby has requested I not bring more home, but the resort coffee cups are too dang small so I always buy at least one). Since we stay with full kitchens I can now add spices to the box, full size sunscreen etc. Alot of this stuff means I can go with just a carryon on the plane too. Plus not having to buy same stuff each time only to have 1/2 wasted.

Yes, I am planning for 4 weeks in August 2021. We usually only go once a year. However, this year I will be taking an early retirement due to medical reasons so I will be able to travel far more often. DH works for local government and he gets 8 weeks of vacation per year based on his years of service. He is also considering an earlier retirement to enjoy life after 30 years of service. Sometimes the loss of only a couple hundred a month, is worth going early to ENJOY it rather than wait, and no guarantee of health decline to prevent you from enjoying it. I am in the process of my paperwork, so by the first of the year, I will be officially retired.

If you have the ability-would try to get into a Marriott Vacation Club resort for one of your weeks. Each time I am tempted to try a different system I just can't make myself do it. Heading back to our favorite Cypress Harbour in a few weeks, having stayed at Harbour Lake (2 weeks) and Grande Vista (1 week) this summer. Our new TS trades in RCL so may try for a Bonnet Creek next summer...
Marriott's and Sheratons are DEFINITELY on our list. I will have an RCI and an II membership so our options are good. Also those II Accommodation Certificates and the RCI Getaways will allow us to do some vacations without trades or possibly bring some extended family along. I am pretty excited about it. I can't wait to have those options. Thanks to TUG and my TUG buds, I found something that really will work for me for years to come.

Last edited:
Congrats on your early retirement and your new resale timeshare! We were also looking into a resale timeshare and a good trader (reading tons on Tug!). Being from Canada has given me a bit of cold feet until I see what happens with border and quarrantine requirements. Hoping to snag something soon to look forward to planning some trips again.
4 weeks in Orlando - so jealous! Enjoy the planning!

Congrats on your early retirement and your new resale timeshare! We were also looking into a resale timeshare and a good trader (reading tons on Tug!). Being from Canada has given me a bit of cold feet until I see what happens with border and quarrantine requirements. Hoping to snag something soon to look forward to planning some trips again.
Thank you!!! I have 3 kids, DS38, DS28, and DD14. So Orlando still satisfies our vacation needs. My sons don't travel with us much anymore but they still go to Orlando on their own. I hope all of this Covid stuff will be behind us soon so we can all get back to traveling. Yes, the plan is for 4 weeks this year and hoping it will happen. The REAL planning will begin the day after Christmas. I save the REAL planning for after the holidays to give me something to look forward to when holidays are over. This year I am hoping some extended family(cousin + his wife) will be joining us. They have never been to Orlando. They are both retired but never had the chance to travel really. So my new timeshare purchases gives me a very good option. When I trade my 2bedroom unit into Orlando, I can upgrade it to a 3 bedroom for the low cost of $59. So for $236 total I will have 3bedrooms for the 4 weeks. So I will have PLENTY of space for the extended family to have a private bedroom and no one needs to use a sleeper sofa. I am SO EXCITED!!!! We will be going to SeaWorld/Aquatica/Busch Gardens and Adventure Island. No Disney. DD14 would rather do thrill rides and shows than go to Disney. I AM SO EXCITED!!!!

I couple of months ago I got a free 4BD/4BA at Woodstone in Massanutten, VA. I snatched it for trade purposes. It's week 28 and trades in RCI. I can deposit/trade it as 2-2 bedroom units. So it will give me 2 weeks of vacation for the price of one. The MFees are under $1000k. In fact, when you factor in the RCI membership and the trade fee, I get 2 weeks in a 2 bedroom for about $700 a week. Its a gold crown in RCI so it should pull some Marriott's and Sheratons.
Wow you snagged a beauty!!! HAve been looking at those and if another comes along may try to get it. We just acquired a HI TS-MF <$700/year, that trades in RCI or II. Free, including transfer fees
But Orlando MFees are high. It's easy to trade into Orlando so no need to own and pay those MFees. I am very excited!!!!
Exactly!! Same with Las Vegas! We sat through a MVC presentation many years ago at Grand Chateau-we had traded into a 3 bedroom. When the guy got to the juicy part and started spinning numbers-we took a breath, then asked him-why would we spend $1000's in purchase, $1000 in MF when we traded here for <$400(at the time)? no comeback. I use it often now when approached for a presentation. One guy even admitted we had a sweet deal.
Also those II Accommodation Certificates and the RCI Getaways will allow us to do some vacations without trades or possibly bring some extended family along
LOVE the AC's!! We used our (cancelled :sad: ) week in France from May and an AC to stay 2 weeks in June at Harbour Lake. After all of us being stuck at home for 3 months we NEEDED the break. Even our oldest who was finishing college in AR (and still working- restaurant) came for a week, and we got a discount for a studio for a couple nights for hubs oldest daughter (who lives in Jacksonville) to come for a weekend.
I still have an AC left...

Having the space to have extended family is the best!

Congrats on the early retirement-hope the health issues are better with no stress from working :)

Thank you!!! I have 3 kids, DS38, DS28, and DD14. So Orlando still satisfies our vacation needs. My sons don't travel with us much anymore but they still go to Orlando on their own. I hope all of this Covid stuff will be behind us soon so we can all get back to traveling. Yes, the plan is for 4 weeks this year and hoping it will happen. The REAL planning will begin the day after Christmas. I save the REAL planning for after the holidays to give me something to look forward to when holidays are over. This year I am hoping some extended family(cousin + his wife) will be joining us. They have never been to Orlando. They are both retired but never had the chance to travel really. So my new timeshare purchases gives me a very good option. When I trade my 2bedroom unit into Orlando, I can upgrade it to a 3 bedroom for the low cost of $59. So for $236 total I will have 3bedrooms for the 4 weeks. So I will have PLENTY of space for the extended family to have a private bedroom and no one needs to use a sleeper sofa. I am SO EXCITED!!!! We will be going to SeaWorld/Aquatica/Busch Gardens and Adventure Island. No Disney. DD14 would rather do thrill rides and shows than go to Disney. I AM SO EXCITED!!!!
Oh and if you can snag a 3 bedroom at Marriott Grande Vista do it-it is HUGE and the "third" bedroom can be a studio lockoff-so very private if extended family want. We stayed there in August for a week. Corner unit, high floor. I have a picture in the "view from the balcony" thread on TUG.

Tug is really great for info.

Have you watched @dioxide45 timeshare videos? He gives a lot of info on the Marriott's, and some tips and tricks.

These low airfare specials/rates are driving me insane. One day I saw Frontier from PHL to MCO for only $21 each way. Had to travel on a Wednesday but I could do that. I could go on a Wednesday and find a quick inexpensive short stay in one of the smaller timeshares. It would give me a reason to leave on Wednesday and enjoy being in Florida, then check-in to our resort on Saturday. The money saved on airfare can be used for the extended vacation. I am ALWAYS looking for a reason to stay longer. I will have to rent the car for an additional 3 days but the money saved on airfare covers part of that too. Oh well....I can dream....for now. :rolleyes: :laughing:

These low airfare specials/rates are driving me insane. One day I saw Frontier from PHL to MCO for only $21 each way. Had to travel on a Wednesday but I could do that. I could go on a Wednesday and find a quick inexpensive short stay in one of the smaller timeshares. It would give me a reason to leave on Wednesday and enjoy being in Florida, then check-in to our resort on Saturday. The money saved on airfare can be used for the extended vacation. I am ALWAYS looking for a reason to stay longer. I will have to rent the car for an additional 3 days but the money saved on airfare covers part of that too. Oh well....I can dream....for now. :rolleyes: :laughing:
Yeah I get the low airfare urge...when my daughter worked at disney (DCP) I used that as an excuse to go so often-cheap airfare, already had an AP, she had her car so no need to rent one and either AP or CM discount at the resorts (and I didn't mind staying at Pop or All-stars either).

Actually the low airfare is why we are flying back from Florida instead of driving-my other daughters care is going to stay at her college over Winter break instead of being driven home. And I love vacation math! We extended our Orlando stay a couple days as airfare was way way cheaper on Dec 1st. AP rate at Universal hotel for 1st extra night. Hotel on points (earned from summer travel) for 2nd extra night near airport for early flight home.

You and your family get a lot of vacation for your money. My daughter wants to go in college in Florida. From my lips to God's ears I hope. Another couple of years to go. All the more reason to visit Florida. We haven't been to Universal in quite a few years. It may not happen on my Aug 2021 trip, but I hope to visit more than once a year when retirement becomes official. Being able to go to Florida more than once a year is something I am really looking forward to. Between the low airfare, timeshare ownership perks, I should be able to go more often too.

You and your family get a lot of vacation for your money. My daughter wants to go in college in Florida. From my lips to God's ears I hope. Another couple of years to go. All the more reason to visit Florida. We haven't been to Universal in quite a few years. It may not happen on my Aug 2021 trip, but I hope to visit more than once a year when retirement becomes official. Being able to go to Florida more than once a year is something I am really looking forward to. Between the low airfare, timeshare ownership perks, I should be able to go more often too.
Yeah the year my Dd did the DCP I spent about 7 weeks total when I had the AP...This year will be just over 5 weeks, although in larger chunks (no long weekends-all 1 or more week at a time). Weird year-without being banished to work-from-home would never have been able to do that, so small silver lining. We follow all the usual virus mitigation traveling as we do at home. And I with me slowly getting back into onsite I get swabbed 2 x per week anyway.

Do you have a countdown chain for retirement?? I sure would LOL!!

My middle is at UCF-she got a scholarship that basically made the tuition equivalent to in-state, but obviously she wasn't eligible for things like Bright Flight in Florida (had that here in MO). Really think states do a disservice to not allowing things like that to cross state lines.

Yeah the year my Dd did the DCP I spent about 7 weeks total when I had the AP...This year will be just over 5 weeks, although in larger chunks (no long weekends-all 1 or more week at a time). Weird year-without being banished to work-from-home would never have been able to do that, so small silver lining. We follow all the usual virus mitigation traveling as we do at home. And I with me slowly getting back into onsite I get swabbed 2 x per week anyway.

Do you have a countdown chain for retirement?? I sure would LOL!!

My middle is at UCF-she got a scholarship that basically made the tuition equivalent to in-state, but obviously she wasn't eligible for things like Bright Flight in Florida (had that here in MO). Really think states do a disservice to not allowing things like that to cross state lines.
No...no official countdown chain for retirement. The early retirement is due to a disability so everything has to get final approval. So with all involved, I am sure I will get the "official" date of retirement before Christmas arrives. I will let you know. In the meantime, I just received my deed for one of the timeshare transfers. I did my application for RCI and am waiting for them to verify and approve my application. It appears we SHOULD be able to go on vacation to Orlando for the month of August.

It's nice to hear you have a DD in UCF. My daughter always admires it as we drive by on our way to Busch Gardens-Tampa. She has said for the last 2 years we went to Florida that she can see herself going to UCF so I am prayerful for that. I hear there is a new passenger train coming that will connect areas to Orlando. I think it will have a stop in the Tampa area too but I haven't confirmed it. I am so excited to plan vacation this year. I already have my Walmart grocery shopping list started. Hopefully my extended will be going along as planned.

Oh I hope the medical issue is ok and that you get your retirement!
she can see herself going to UCF so I am prayerful for that.
It is a beautiful campus. With your time in Orlando next year have her sign up for a campus tour. It was really a key to her deciding to go there-she absolutely fell in love with the engineering area.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!