August Crowds???

fun2bmomof3

Mouseketeer
DH just called " Don't make reservations yet!". We didn't stop to think about our normal September trip. That this year with two kids in Junior high, one of them playing football that a september trip might not be the best idea.
He thinks maybe the first part of August might be a good idea. How bad is it? I'm afraid we will be disappointed since in September there are absolutely no crowds, no waiting in line anywhere, seating always available even at the last minute, etc. etc. On the plus side we have many many more disney trips ahead of us so no more commando style vacations.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

We have switched our trip next year from March to August also. We've never vacationed in August before because my DW is a Teacher Assistant in public schools and in the past schools here (North Carolina) started in early August. The politicians have changed this though having schools start much later in August (due to heavy lobbying from the tourism industry). So we've decided next year to go to WDW in mid-August. We've typically gone in the past in the Spring and in June. I'm looking forward to the change. I know it will he hot, but we're used to that going in June. Hopefully the crowds will be a little lighter.

Did alot of checking online and since we would have to go the first of August the stats say still verry crowded. After the 15th attendance drops quite a bit. Sticking with September just middle of the month rather than the end. My son missing one week of football won't kill anyone.

We once went to VWL in August and it was during the WDW promotion of "Pay 4, stay 7" - It was CROWDED, everywhere! The parks, the hotel, any restaurants and attractions.
And it rained ALOT. We were turned off from going during that time of year.
Sorry to be such a downer!

We always go in August. We rarely have heavy crowds (we were married at Disney the week between XMas and New Year's and go annually now in mid-January, so we know crowded vs. uncrowded). I find the worst days are the weekends because locals and those within driving distance are getting in there last minute vacations before kids go back to school. But most kids go back around August 15th down there, so we've always had great luck going mid- to late-August.

When we planned our WDW vacations we usually planned for Oct. In 2001 we ended up at WDW late Nov/early Dec

This Aug DS13 & I are taking our first ever 2 wk vacation! We wouldnt be able to do this during the school yr.
We'll be at WDW Aug 13-27 - our first park day is Aug 16
Planning alot more pool/waterpark time

crowded, crowded ;) and it may be hard to get a complete stay in one resort if you have not booked by now. good luck & get to the parks early &
late to epcot to avoid the crowds. :flower:

We've done August twice... compared to the first week of January, yup, it's crowded. Compared to trips we've made in June or July or October, not so very bad at all. Comparable, perhaps, to the trip we took the week before xmas - except much warmer weather!

I should note that we always go for at least a week, usually closer to 2 weeks lately. That means that if we have a few rainy days, we can afford it and plan accordingly. We had a hurricane last trip (Charley) and it didn't put a damper on our fun at all, quite honestly. It was amazing how our vacation just kept on goin' right on track, despite the devastation such storms bring to the area!

Of course, given the alternative (Aug versus Sept), you could have a hurricane in either of those months. ANd the weather would likely be about the same, hurricane or not. The school crowds would be lower, but do note that the park hours will also reduce during that time. Make sure you aren't scheduled during some corporation's planned usage of the parks... I think it would totally stink to go to WDW only to learn you can't stay as long in MK or EPCOT, etc, as you had hoped due to a private function at the park that night. It doesn't happen often, but still...

We like August because it's always warm enough to use the pools (our kids have gills, I swear), and because it is (a) after baseball season yet (b) before school. We always aim for the 2nd or 3rd weeks... it at least gets us past the start of a few of the southern state schools, but it's as late as we can go without our kids missing their own schools.

Good luck with your choice!

August would not be my month of choice. I have been before and it is too crowded. I myself prefer the period from September to the week before Christmas (preferably the first two weeks of December).

I'm going in August this time, because I'm celebrating my 50th birthday in WDW. Unfortunately, my birthday is in August, so there was little choice this go round.

We go most often in August now due to school issues also. We tend to travel there for the third and fourth week of August and notice the later you are there, the lower the crowds are.

fun2bmomof3 said:
Did alot of checking online and since we would have to go the first of August the stats say still verry crowded. After the 15th attendance drops quite a bit. Sticking with September just middle of the month rather than the end. My son missing one week of football won't kill anyone.

Be Careful. If your son truly wants to play, the coach may not be so understanding. I know around here, if the players go on vacation, the coach is apt to bench them for two games following their return. I would check with the coach and your son before making your final plans.

August is our month to go each year (both DW and I are teachers). We love it then but it is kind of crowded. The later in the month you go the better you are since Fl and some southern States schols go back after the 1st or 2nd week. 3rd week and after is better. We also go for a long trip, usually more than a week so there is no rush to get everything done. Hope this helps.

Our school goes back the 17th so it would have to be the first week of August. I stuck with our original plans of mid september. As for football.... he will miss two games while we're gone. It's still little league so the coach can't penalize him for being gone as long as he has his 15 practices and 1 game in before he goes. But I do believe we need to find a new vacation time. We just hate crowds is the only problem. Maybe late May/early June. ???

Thanks for all the input.

Crissy

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter