August MK Hours

Disney is just squeezing every penny from people now, why give you for free what people will pay $100+ for now. They are shrinking park hours, lowering staffing during "slow" periods to make the parks a perpetually busy season. By doing that it entices people to pay for something that was free before, just so you can experience the parks without hour waits and wall to wall people. I just sound like a crotchety old man now complaining, its smart business because people haven't gotten fed up, yet. Its also worked on me, as I am going to a villains after hours in August since the hours are so short. Well played Disney, well played
100% this.

I think next year will be our last Disney World trip. With what we are spending this year we could go to Europe.
That's been true for a long time. Our annual visits to Europe are always less expensive than our Disney trips. My flight to London earlier this year (in coach) was under $600. Comparable hotels/short term rentals are less expensive than Disney. If you are going to the UK, the £ is looking pretty good for visitors from the USA. Ten days in the UK can be considerably less expensive for a family of 4 from the USA. Of course, if you are booking a tour through Adventures by Disney that's a whole different way to throw away $$$.

We will be there for a quick trip from Aug 11-14. I noticed last year, during the same week, MK was open every night until 11pm and until 1am for evening EMH. The touring plan crowd predictions are actually quite similar between 2018 and 2019. Maybe Disney knows hotel bookings are softer this year. However, even with anticipated light crowds, August is so darn hot in Orlando and add the afternoon pop up storms. It makes it really difficult for families to take an afternoon break and come back when there is so little time to enjoy after dark. The hours, a 9pm close, are too short for the temperatures. I was expecting MK to close at 10pm at the very least, like it has in July. It looks like Universal also closes at 9pm in August, so I am sure Disney follows the competition and vice versa. With the price increases and shorter hours, I think it will change the way we vacation in the future. I am leaning towards just doing the parties and after events and not buying the regular tickets anymore and finding other way to enjoy our vacation. This is especially in light of the fact that they allow after hours ticket holders to make fastpass reservations and enter the parks at least a couple hours before the event starts, sometimes more. We bought park hoppers in hopes of taking an afternoon break and hopping to another park, but the hours are just too short for this to be of value anymore. The hours for HS were also much longer last year, probably due to the new Toy Story Land. The lesson I learned from this is not to count on the original hours being extended.
Yes re: weather: this is the big problem! We also love taking an afternoon break because it’s necessary at this time of year. The early close makes it so hard to do that efficiently, but staying at the park from 8am-9pm on a 105 degree (in the shade) day is also difficult. No way to get your money’s worth in a realistic and enjoyable way 😕

I think next year will be our last Disney World trip. With what we are spending this year we could go to Europe.

It's just like Disney resorts vs. hotels in the "real world"--after so many Disney trips I think it's quaint what non-Disney folks consider to be expensive room rates. There's literally no sense of rack-rate sticker shock left once you've gotten used to Disney rates.

I sent an email. Six Flags, Hershey Park, Dorney Park and Wildwood Boardwalk are all open until 9:30, 10:00, 11:00 or midnight on every day of my vacation. It's ridiculous that Disney World is offering less hours than these places.

It's a pointless email. The last time I sent an email, I got an answer that did not address my point at all. When I questioned the validity of the response I received, I got no further response.

I sent an email. Six Flags, Hershey Park, Dorney Park and Wildwood Boardwalk are all open until 9:30, 10:00, 11:00 or midnight on every day of my vacation. It's ridiculous that Disney World is offering less hours than these places.

It's a pointless email. The last time I sent an email, I got an answer that did not address my point at all. When I questioned the validity of the response I received, I got no further response.
Do you have twitter? Tweet them your thoughts, they'll respond quickly. LOL

My trip dates are Aug 7-17. I just spent a few minutes looking at the historical MK hours. Touring plans goes back to 2006 and there was not one 9pm closing for those dates in all those years. 11pm was the most common closing time, including just last year when most days MK closed at 11 with two EMH days that they were open until 1am. There were also many 18 hour days in past years during that time frame (8-midnight with EMH until 2am).

Given this past history I think it's fair to say those of us going in August this year have a right to feel a little cheated, especially if you have to make plans and book well ahead of time like Disney expects you too. I still fully expect to have a great vacation but this MK hours thing isn't the best start.

Here is the response I received from Disney:

"We appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts with us about our Theme Parks operations. On select nights during the month of August 2019, Magic Kingdom® Park will be closing at 9:00 p.m., Eastern Time. However on other nights at 10:00 p.m. During some nights we also have special events that could affect the regular park hours. It is always our goal to create magical memories and exceed the expectations of our Guests! We have shared this information with our leadership team, as we do take this very seriously. We're sorry if this cause any inconvenience with your future stay with us."

"We appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts with us about our Theme Parks operations. On select nights during the month of August 2019, Magic Kingdom® Park will be closing at 9:00 p.m., Eastern Time. However on other nights at 10:00 p.m. During some nights we also have special events that could affect the regular park hours. It is always our goal to create magical memories and exceed the expectations of our Guests! We have shared this information with our leadership team, as we do take this very seriously. We're sorry if this cause any inconvenience with your future stay with us."

Thanks for posting the response! I counted 17 nights in August where MK closes at 9pm or sooner. Twelve of these nights MK closes at 9pm. I am chuckling at the term “select”, especially since it closes at 9pm all 4 nights we are there.

I'm actually contemplating what to do. Package paid in full, we are late night people. 9 pm closing is like middle of day for us. Thinking seriously about modifying package (yes it will cost me $50) but not sure I'm willing to spend thousands of dollars for what will be a few hours per day in the park. Between the heat of the day, the rain every afternoon, the lines for rides and then because we have "free dining", takin g approximately 90 minutes for table service, I feel Disney just robbed me!!

Im not going in August but the bolded makes me laugh. They are not exceeding exceptions they are diminishing expectations....

Im heading down for the last Illuminations and I have to deal with 6am and 7am openings... and MK closing at 9pm so far, I am not expecting it to close much later than that. Would much prefer nights in the park, but by then wait times will be out of control.

I got the same kind of response. "It is our goal to create magical memories and exceed the expectations of our guests during each and every interaction that you have with us. Please be assured that we have shared your comments with our leadership team along with the appropriate management as feedback as yours is taken very seriously. Park hours in August will vary..." and then they proceeded to tell me about a few evening EMH on days I am not even going to be there.

Last edited:
Disney has set responses to e-mails they receive. If you look at Trip Advisor reviews, Disney Social Review department use the same response on their less than 4 star reviews

I sent a message via Twitter to Disney. Included is my tweet and their response. They hope I enjoy the fireworks 💥
My tweet: @WaltDisneyWorld
after looking at the hours MK will be open for our trip (8/12-8/19) very disappointed. Only 1 day that the park is open past 9. The local parks here are open later then that. Would love to be able to share the magic of MK of night with my kids. Hope for a change
Response back: We do apologize for any disappointments, and look forward to seeing you. Our Park hours are always subject to change, though, and our nighttime spectacular Happily Ever After will still light up the sky each night! There's sure to be many magical memories in store!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter