August or Sept?

disneycountrygirl

Mouseketeer
We have 2 WDW reservations currently. One is Aug 12-19. The other Sept 25-Oct 2. One of them will be cancelled.

Our highest priority is lowest crowd levels. Would you think August is the slam-dunk keeper with the SWGE opening?

How is August for crowd levels normally? We've always avoided summer because of the crowds, but this August seems unpredictable - the people trying to avoid the SWGE crowds in Sept could become a crowd themselves in August!

Then there is the theory that many/most people will wait till the "second opening" when the entire SW land is open.

If both of those things happen, then Sept could be a PERFECT sweet spot. What would you guess the odds of that happening are?

Our first five trips were during the time that you have for September and then our last two most recent trips have been early to mid August. I would choose August now. Crowds averaged 3 to 6 out of 10 in August.

September is The same or worse now in our experience. People kept waiting for the fall promotions and it really filled the parks. They kept getting busier and busier every year from 2010 to 2015.

Our August trip in 2016 and 2018 were great. Weather has been nearly identical between August and September as well.

Dan

I would expect lower crowds, but long lines in August as Disney reduces capacity and squeezes staff hours as much as possible before the flood of people expected for Star Wars.

After Star Wars opens, I would expect lots of crowds for Hollywood Studios, but Disney is adding extra, extra hours magic hours and will likely have everything at full capacity, so lines may actually be faster and smoother elsewhere.

If I were staying on site and liked to get up early, I would pick September. I predict that while Star Wars will be crazy, the rest of the parks will be a breeze with all those extra hours.

I could be wrong, of course.

I'm still debating myself. We have 2 reservations

Last weekend of September and Last weekend of October. I prefer the Oct dates but I would loose out on the Sept room discounts I was able to score back in January for the Sept dates. $800 savings.

I think Late Oct will be enough time for the hardcores to have finished SWGE and weather wise i'm thinking it would be better.

I'll most likely make my final decision 1st week of September.

Ditto previous poster, Sept will have longer hours and will be running at max capacity. In August, I bet most of the CM will be busy with training and won't be running the rides at full capacity.

For lower crowds, I would choose the August dates. I would think the Sept dates would be higher crowds this year with SWGE opening. We are going to be there during your Sept dates and I am just resigning myself to higher crowd levels. It seems like Disney is rolling out all these discounts to entice people to travel before SWGE opens.

It's PURE speculation saying that lines will be longer in August because they will reduce CM's and capacity, and training CM's for Star Wars.

The CM's getting trained for Star Wars will be those working it. Should have zero impact on MK, EP, AK, and other parts of HS for that matter. Disney knows how to operate their parks and adjust staffing accordingly.

Speaking from actual experience last August 2018 (10 days in the parks), and August 2016 (9 days in the parks) there was zero evidence of lower than required staffing, despite the fact that crowds were low. Wait times were perfectly normal, and with the proper "refresh" use of FP+ it was amazing.

Dan

It seems like Disney is rolling out all these discounts to entice people to travel before SWGE opens.

Agreed. It does appear pretty transparent that they are trying to get folks to visit before SWGE.

Dan

Well, I would have said August, however, August 13-19 is the unofficial gay days event this year in Disney. It had previously been held in June. I just found out its overlapping my trip a bit too so I looked into it and what I read was that it does bring big crowds, but the crowds mostly stick to whatever the park of the day is. So if you do go in August try to plan around that. Aug 15 is Animal Kingdom, 16 is HS, 17th MK and 18th is Epcot. I still think August will probably be a better bet crowd wise assuming you plan your parks accordingly. Even if they cut down CM that would just mean wait times will probably be similar to September without literally feeling oppressed by the wall to wall crowds (and yes I'm going in the middle of Sept to see star wars.......)

Summer has been less crowded lately, and that will be especially true with Galaxy's Edge opening in late August. It's still going to be nuts in late September. The only downside with the August trip is that it will be a lot hotter during that time. But it's likely worth it as people wait for Star Wars.

Summer has been less crowded lately, and that will be especially true with Galaxy's Edge opening in late August. It's still going to be nuts in late September. The only downside with the August trip is that it will be a lot hotter during that time. But it's likely worth it as people wait for Star Wars.

Can't argue that historically August is hotter than late September, but we're not talking a huge difference. About 3 degrees on average. We've done 5 trips late September (about 7-10 days each) and two in early August (9-10 days each) and the hottest year of them all was in September 2011.

We may very well have lucked out, but our August trips have felt virtually identical as our September trips (weather wise). Both are hot, but we like that. Late September is still averaging 88-90.

Dan

With SWGE, August would be the better choice for a chance at lesser crowds. I wouldn't expect low crowds though. Your August dates are early enough where you'll still catch people on summer break before school starts, and I believe there are some free dining and other promotions running during that time to draw people in before SWGE. And I'd imagine locals will try to get in before the insanity starts as well. But even with all this in mind, I'd still do August if I had no interest in SWGE.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter