August Visitors - When to book flights?

cdnSpinalTap

Mouseketeer
Hello,

We normally go to Disney World in January, so I am pretty adept at making sure we get the best flight deals. However, we are moving our would be January 2020 trip to August 2020.

For those of you who travel in August, when do you normally book to get the best flight deals? We usually fly direct from Calgary on WestJet.

Thanks.

Direct flights during the summer are harder to get (at least from Ottawa), I tend to book soon after they are available if I can. For this August I booked mid-March, which was a bit late for me and was only because I was using airmiles for one direction. Two years ago I booked in January I believe and the prices went up steadily from there. Right now, my August flights have gone up $200 per person round trip since I got them a month ago. I imagine if you have more options it would be better to wait. Ottawa only has direct flights Saturday and Sunday during the summer, one flight each day.

Thanks for the reply. Hopefully January will work as we have two WestJet MasterCard companion flights that will expire in April 2020 that I was hoping to use.

I booked WestJet in mid-February for an August trip this year.

I wish I had booked in January. The prices were better then. They have steadily gotten worse after I booked in February.

I'd say 7 months out. January for an August trip.

Oh, we're flying from Pearson/Toronto.

I booked March 2019 for August 2019 on WestJet direct from YVR - used points so wasn't hunting around for best prices

I just booked mine a couple of weeks ago with the 15% off Orlando code.

I would say either as soon as they are released or about 4-6 months out. I find earlier in the year, the focus of sales is spring break travel.

Dissenting opinion here. I’ve gotten $300 rt flights (nonstop) from Toronto to MCO the past two years by booking in June. There are some good deals to be had. Just watch daily and pull the trigger when you are comfortable. Seven months out seems excessive for this time of year.

I agree with @quandrea

You have a great advantage here with your timeline. Watch the flight prices and sales for this August and how they behave between now and then. This won't be foolproof but will give you a solid idea of how prices generally behave out of your market approaching August. Then set a price you're aiming for and if you see it, book it.

When flying out of YYZ to MCO I always aim for $300-$350 RT (except for Christmas or March Break) but there is a ton of competition and capacity out of YYZ. (not to mention competition from Porter out of the island, Swoop out of Hamilton and Buffalo)

The Calgary market may be different depending on lots of factors but sounds like you've flown it several times in the past so I'm sure you have a solid idea of what a good RT price is.

Good luck!

Swoop flies nonstop to Orlando from Edmonton on Saturdays during the summer, well for this summer, anyways. Check it out on flyswoop.com to get an idea of what is available. Prices for this year look really good to me, it certainly would be worth my drive if I were in Calgary. And in the summer road conditions should not be an issue. We've flown Swoop several times (Edmonton to Hamilton) and have never had an issue with them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter