Aulani Landscaping

raw29983

Earning My Ears
Hi all,
I've recently built a resort-style pool and would like to add a touch of Aulani. Does anyone know much about the gardens at Aulani, what the specific plants are? Any help would be appreciated.

There is definitely naupaka because one of Uncle's stories is about naupaka and he points them out as he tells the story.

I also wanted a tropical look around our pool but we are in the Toronto area so it was a challenge. I have used hardy hibiscus and some zebra grasses to make it a little more tropical feeling (even though I do not think there are any around Aulani) This year I also ordered tuberose root but I did not get it until mid June. It has grown to have spiky green leaves but no flower stem yet. I am probably going to have to pot them and bring them in for the winter as it is already getting cold here.

I would buy one (to three) Menehune for our garden (and even inside) if they were for sale anywhere. It was the thing we wanted most to bring home as a souvenir.

The foliage around Aulani has quite the story. If you've gone on the tour, they tell you how the plants nearest the foyer are found in the mountain regions of Hawaii, and the plants gradually change to those found on the beaches, toward the beach side of the property. There are over 100 different plants and trees, though I don't remember any that haven't been mentioned.

If you plant a tree, or have places to hang things, the glowing gourd lights like on the big tree at the entrance to Aulani add a nice touch.

Last edited:
I would love some Menehune, I even found who made them but haven't been able to get a reply :( My pool builder is starting the concrete rockwork next week, I'm going to get them to put in some hidden Mickey's.

I would love some Menehune, I even found who made them but haven't been able to get a reply :( My pool builder is starting the concrete rockwork next week, I'm going to get them to put in some hidden Mickey's.

LOL-We did the hidden Mickeys too! Well, we did one. We took a Mickey head ballon weight we had and made a concrete stamp out of it and then had them put it right by the exit ladder in our deep end.

LOL-We did the hidden Mickeys too! Well, we did one. We took a Mickey head ballon weight we had and made a concrete stamp out of it and then had them put it right by the exit ladder in our deep end.
Fun! I had a blacksmith friend make my husband a cattle brand for Xmas one year with his farm symbol (decorative only—we don’t brand) and I stamped it in the front porch concrete when we built our house.

You know, you could prob find a local woodcarver pretty easily to make a few out of cedar, teak, redwood—something very rot resistant—that would last quite a long time too, if you don’t hear back. Just a thought. We totally need pics when you’re done!!! And BTW I finally have ONE plumeria that’s putting on buds!!!!

It’s been a long time since you created this thread, so I’d be grateful if you told us what you eventually came up with for your Aulani landscaping. The thing is that I have the same question, so I have 2 choices: DIY or hire a landscaping designer. Actually, I’ve found everything necessary for landscaping myself.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!