Aulani Luau

ZegarraFam

Earning My Ears
Hi all. Just wondering what people's opinions are on the Luau at Aulani. It seems a bit pricey. How does it compare to other luaus on the island as far as food and entertainment. Thanks!

We love it. We go to aulani every year and always do it. It may be a bit more pricey but it is very authentic. And I like the food very much. The singers and dancers are excellent. We have been to other luaus and in my opinion Disney is the best, it is not hokey or slapstick.

I did VIP for Aulani’s luau and enjoyed it. The food was better than most luau food and it was easy for them to accommodate dietary restrictions. Be warned that the story line for the luau is different from other luaus. I’ve also attended the Paradise Cove luau next door, which I thoroughly enjoyed. Keep in mind that you will pay $100+ to attend most luaus in Hawaii. Don’t go for the food, go for the experience.

I did VIP for Aulani’s luau and enjoyed it. The food was better than most luau food and it was easy for them to accommodate dietary restrictions. Be warned that the story line for the luau is different from other luaus. I’ve also attended the Paradise Cove luau next door, which I thoroughly enjoyed. Keep in mind that you will pay $100+ to attend most luaus in Hawaii. Don’t go for the food, go for the experience.
Completely agree. I think having the drink options was nice as well.

On Waikiki, the Royal Hawaiian Hotel's luau, Aha'aina, is top notch. Small capacity crowd enables them to have excellent food and intimate show. Unfortunately, the price accompanies the quality show.

Thanks for input, everyone! It sounds like a good time! Plus have to take into account the convenience of being onsite and not having to hop on a bus. I'm thinking we might have to pull the trigger!

Did VIP in the past, will do so again. Great views of the wonderful show, early entrance into the activities, and free drinks. We'll be back - COVID notwithstanding- this Christmas. Anyone want to meet up for some drinks? :)

I would tell you to skip the Luau at Aulani. We just went on May 14th. We paid the 180 plus tax, so effectively 200 dollars per person with a party of 7. This is my opinion.
  • We paid for the “Preferred Seating.” Yes we got in first but there was no reason for it.
  • There were NO activities before dinner, because of Covid. Unless you consider taking a picture with your masks on and two of the dancers about 15 feet behind you. We were taken to our table and that was it.
  • Our seat was in the midst of “Standard Seating. “ You can tell by the Lai you are given. There was Standard Seating in between us and the stage.
  • Food is delivered to you in bento boxes. You get a little and I mean little, sample of everything. When we asked for more of something they acted as if we were asking for their first born. It took then so long to bring a small, small amount to us that the mouthful was consumed almost immediately and when we asked for some more, we were told that the show was beginning and the food service was stopped. Our deserts were delivered to use before they delivered our tiny second helping. Again about a tablespoon, no joke.
  • There was an open bar and you could get drinks as part of the price, if you can order them. I was able to get one more drink from the original one from check-in. Light on the alcohol but it is expected in a venue like this.
  • The food itself, the appetizer box was not that bad but it is hard to mess up a salad and some fruit. I was there for the Pork. The fish in the box was well overcooked and super dry. The Boneless ribs were just a little softer than jerky. The chicken on the other hand was good, but I was not there for the chicken. The pork was only about a tablespoon full. See why I was upset. The second helping I asked or almost immediately was no bigger and it was delivered after desert. I know this is a repeat but it burned my backside. There were other items in the box like the Ube and the rice but I was not really there for that.
  • Back to the seating. Did I mention that I am handicapped and not too tall? There were a lot of taller people between me and the stage so my view was obstructed.
So, I would not waste my time or money unless you are there for the show. It was a very good show but not 200 dollars good. I am a DVC member and love Disney. I understand Covid is making changes everywhere but paying more for a lot less is not a good thing.
I hope this helps someone or a family deciding if it was worth it. As for me it was a real big NO.
Wait till they go back to what it used to be like before doing the Luau. I was heartbroken from my experience.

ALL luaus are overpriced. All things considered it is pretty good. If you are unhappy at Aulani, you will really hate Paradise cove. If you are staying in waikiki at all they do have some good free shows

I would tell you to skip the Luau at Aulani. We just went on May 14th. We paid the 180 plus tax, so effectively 200 dollars per person with a party of 7. This is my opinion.

<snip>

So, I would not waste my time or money unless you are there for the show. It was a very good show but not 200 dollars good. I am a DVC member and love Disney. I understand Covid is making changes everywhere but paying more for a lot less is not a good thing.
I hope this helps someone or a family deciding if it was worth it. As for me it was a real big NO.
Wait till they go back to what it used to be like before doing the Luau. I was heartbroken from my experience.
I am very sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your luau experience... We were there the same night as you (May 14), and we 100% loved it. I think what you have said in your post is very important information for anyone -- do not go to this luau (or any luau, for that matter) if all you are looking for is a good meal. If you don't care that much about the show, you certainly can get much better food for a much cheaper price elsewhere. However, speaking for myself I thought the food quality was quite good and I certainly did not leave hungry. Also, we finally had to waive our server away as she tried to refill our drinks for the ump-teenth time! It sounds like you may have grabed the short straw in terms of your server, as well...

Anyway, I hope the rest of your stay in Hawaii was better than your Luau experience.

Aloha

Just got back--Aulani luau wasn't available so we walked (2 blocks) to Paradise Cove which we really enjoyed! There are 2 pre-show activities--hula and pig pit--as well as lots of pre-show live music. We opted for the mid-tier which included a lei greeting, center seating, and $16 gift cards to use for drinks, photos, or purchase items in their gift shop (we used them for the photo package--very reasonable at $20). If you wanted to go basic tier-the seating is still very good but on the side, and you can still purchase fresh flower leis in their gift shop for $8, if you wish. Loved the dancers, fire dancers and their Aunty emcee. An enjoyable evening within walking distance from Aulani. Last note: tickets say check in is at 5--but you can arrive any time between 5 and 5:30 and not miss a thing. We arrived at 5:20 and there were absolutely no lines to enter, get a family photo on their lovely beach, or for drinks.

Just got back--Aulani luau wasn't available so we walked (2 blocks) to Paradise Cove which we really enjoyed! There are 2 pre-show activities--hula and pig pit--as well as lots of pre-show live music. We opted for the mid-tier which included a lei greeting, center seating, and $16 gift cards to use for drinks, photos, or purchase items in their gift shop (we used them for the photo package--very reasonable at $20). If you wanted to go basic tier-the seating is still very good but on the side, and you can still purchase fresh flower leis in their gift shop for $8, if you wish. Loved the dancers, fire dancers and their Aunty emcee. An enjoyable evening within walking distance from Aulani. Last note: tickets say check in is at 5--but you can arrive any time between 5 and 5:30 and not miss a thing. We arrived at 5:20 and there were absolutely no lines to enter, get a family photo on their lovely beach, or for drinks.
How is the food being served there now? We did priority seating pre-covid, so ours came pre-plated. We didn’t have any issues with getting seconds (in generous portions) of what we wanted, unlike what happened to you @Larry. That’s the thing I detest about family-style and unfortunately his experience mirrors experiences we’ve had often at those types of meals. Which is why I’m so dreading if Disney goes to those over buffets. Glad you enjoyed their show; we did too!

How is the food being served there now? We did priority seating pre-covid, so ours came pre-plated. We didn’t have any issues with getting seconds (in generous portions) of what we wanted, unlike what happened to you @Larry. That’s the thing I detest about family-style and unfortunately his experience mirrors experiences we’ve had often at those types of meals. Which is why I’m so dreading if Disney goes to those over buffets. Glad you enjoyed their show; we did too!
Regarding food at Paradise Cove, the only difference during covid with the upper tier and lower tiers is that the plated portions are delivered to the upper tier and the lower tiers do go to the buffet area in an orderly distanced fashion to pick up their pre-plated bento boxes--one warm and one cold. Good food and good sampling. Not like Makahiki but good! Process took 5 min tops and seconds were available. Also during covid, separate tables for 4 are set up 6 feet apart. We are a party of 5 so 3 people at 1 table and 2 at another. Masks were worn except when seated at your table while eating and during photo shoot.

Last edited:
We were there in 2017. We were in the seating right at the stage. I remember there being other priority seating in that box at the back; maybe it had buffet? The only thing I had to walk up for was my big drink.

ETA: @suzy_q and I were simulcasting ;)

We were there in 2017. We were in the seating right at the stage. I remember there being other priority seating in that box at the back; maybe it had buffet? The only thing I had to walk up for was my big drink.
Box at the back? Big drink?

The only difference during covid with the upper tier and lower tiers is that the plated portions are delivered to the upper tier and the lower tiers do go to the buffet area in an orderly distanced fashion to pick up their pre-plated bento boxes--one warm and one cold.
VIP also gets better leis, better seating, and unlimited alcohol.

Box at the back? Big drink?
There is box seating at the back for some tier—farther from the stage but up higher, so you’re not looking around people to see the stage. I had to walk up to the window past the buffet to get my big mai tai in the souvenir glass. It was a ticket or one of the “$x” vouchers with the highest tier. I was determined to sit right up front and I could literally see the sweat running off the fire knife guy. Worth every penny.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter