Aulani on a budget...

We stayed at the Marriott because I got a discounted rate with points. It’s not beachfront, as along that stretch (where the Duke statue is), the road runs between the buildings and the beach. But it’s beach/ocean view and just a minute or two (literally) walk.

My co-worker stayed at a place down in the shadow of Diamond Head at much less cost for a much larger room. It’s not super-easy walking distance to much, though, like where the Marriott is.

@cgattis has brought up a good point to consider for Waikiki, location.

I dont remember if you said your in-laws have mobility issues or if the fact that they are a little older might hinder how much walking you guys do so location in Waikiki can be an issue.

I kind of like walking the streets that are encompassed in the area but not when I am sandy and wet from time in the ocean so any time we have stayed in Waikiki, we try to stay as close to the ocean as possible.

I realize you asked about beachfront hotels in Waikiki but there are a few that are across the street (Kalakaua Avenue) from the beach but because there are not hotels on the beach side, they feel ocean front.

The issue is that they are usually not cheap but some are more expensive than others so I broke it down with that in mind. This is all just imho based on having been to Waikiki on numerous occasions over the years. Others who live on the island or who travel just to Waikiki on a regular basis may have more detailed info. Waikiki has a compacted feel with buildings jammed next to each other but as you get closer to Diamond Head they do tend to spread out more. Lastly, you asked about hotels that might be comparative to Aulani. None of these are as nice as Aulani but are considered resorts and are close to the water or on the water.

The first hotel that comes to my mind for your travelling party would be one of the two Outrigger hotels that are directly on Waikiki beach. If you join their e-club you will get specials sent to you and they can be ok. Both of the Outriggers charge a resort fee of approx $35 on top of the rate. Both of these hotels offer 2 doubles (or 1 King or ! Queen) so if you are planning to share the hotel room as you are in Aulani, just be aware of this. It changes my mind when I look at what to book for our family of four with two older teens as it can be tight for the four of us with two doubles, my son tends to sleep star shaped.

Outrigger Waikiki Beach Resort is in such a fantastic location, it is hard to not like this hotel just for that. Also, Dukes restaurant is located in the base of this hotel and it is very very popular because of the location and laid back vibe. It is kind of a newer version of the old Waikiki of the late 60s/early 70s kitchy tiki bar feel (which sounds horrible when I write it out, LOL) but it really is kind of what Hollywood and TV sold as Hawaii back then and many people have in their mind as "Hawaii". The hotel itself gets decent reviews but again it is where it is in relation to the beach, Diamond head, the shopping and places to eat.
http://www.outriggerwaikikihotel.com/

The Outrigger Reef on the Beach is usually a little less expensive and the beach in front is a little more rocky and reef-y so be aware http://www.outriggerreef-onthebeach.com/

We have stayed a few times at the Hyatt Regency Waikiki and the main reason was location (and my kids LOVE the little roof top pool that looks down onto the main drag and across to the beach and ocean) It is a huge hotel, cant say it was ever particularly fantastic but it is steps to the beach and great places to eat and shop while being priced a little less that the same level of hotel directly on the beach. It also has a hefty resort fee on top of nightly rate https://www.hyatt.com/en-US/hotel/hawaii/hyatt-regency-waikiki-beach-resort-and-spa/hnlrw

The Waikiki Beach Marriott Resort is a good option too although it is across the street from the water and most of the hotel faces inside the grid of the streets so ocean views are premium priced rooms. Also has a resort fee of around $35-40 a night https://www.marriott.com/hotels/tra...pa/?scid=bb1a189a-fec3-4d19-a255-54ba596febe2

I would be remiss if I didnt mention the iconic Hilton Hawaiian Village which is situated kind of as you enter the Waikiki Beach hotel zone. If you choose to stay here be aware it is almost its own little town (hence "village") It is imho isolated and although it offers lots of its own shops and restaurants. The beach there is very nice and the lagoon is fun. There is a marina at that end too (the one from the opening of Gilligans Island, I think) The problem with the HHV is that it can be VERY expensive and VERY busy. There is a resort fee of $40 a night and you need to educate yourself on which tower to stay in. Some are farther from the water so although they are cheaper they are not really on the water and can be a bit of a walk to it. Also, if you consider the HHV be aware that bedding situations change per tower, some offer 3 doubles and call them family suites! It is kind of weird but I think it because the HHV absorbed hotels in the immediate area and just branded then Hilton. It has many pros and cons but if you choose to stay here, read, read, read about it http://www.hiltonhawaiianvillage.com/

These are all just hotels I have stayed at, been in and are familiar enough to comment on. If you want something a little less expensive than these, I can suggest others as well but Waikiki is almost a fine oiled machine as far as pricing goes. You get what you pay for.

This is the area that the Hyatt Regency and the Marriott Resort are located in. this is the view form the Hyatt webcam

upload_2018-5-24_8-42-11.png

This is what Dukes restaurant in the Outrigger looks like. I would suggest doing the breakfast or lunch buffet. Our ala carte dinner last time was not that great but you kind of cant beat the buffet for the price (in Waikiki) See what I mean about the kitschy old tiki bar feel, but it isnt cheap or cheesy, they have done a great job with it

upload_2018-5-24_9-17-22.png

upload_2018-5-24_9-18-57.png

upload_2018-5-24_9-20-24.png

We just got back from Aulani. We stayed in a regular hotel room rather than a DVC Villa and we were not charged any additional fees or taxes. We paid what was quoted on the Aulani website and not a cent more. I got the impression from elsewhere that the tax you’re talking about it is included in the price of regular hotel room stays, but additional to DVC Villas.

Yes, because you can't pay this tax via "points."

@cgattis has brought up a good point to consider for Waikiki, location.

I dont remember if you said your in-laws have mobility issues or if the fact that they are a little older might hinder how much walking you guys do so location in Waikiki can be an issue.

I kind of like walking the streets that are encompassed in the area but not when I am sandy and wet from time in the ocean so any time we have stayed in Waikiki, we try to stay as close to the ocean as possible.

I realize you asked about beachfront hotels in Waikiki but there are a few that are across the street (Kalakaua Avenue) from the beach but because there are not hotels on the beach side, they feel ocean front.

The issue is that they are usually not cheap but some are more expensive than others so I broke it down with that in mind. This is all just imho based on having been to Waikiki on numerous occasions over the years. Others who live on the island or who travel just to Waikiki on a regular basis may have more detailed info. Waikiki has a compacted feel with buildings jammed next to each other but as you get closer to Diamond Head they do tend to spread out more. Lastly, you asked about hotels that might be comparative to Aulani. None of these are as nice as Aulani but are considered resorts and are close to the water or on the water.

The first hotel that comes to my mind for your travelling party would be one of the two Outrigger hotels that are directly on Waikiki beach. If you join their e-club you will get specials sent to you and they can be ok. Both of the Outriggers charge a resort fee of approx $35 on top of the rate. Both of these hotels offer 2 doubles (or 1 King or ! Queen) so if you are planning to share the hotel room as you are in Aulani, just be aware of this. It changes my mind when I look at what to book for our family of four with two older teens as it can be tight for the four of us with two doubles, my son tends to sleep star shaped.

Outrigger Waikiki Beach Resort is in such a fantastic location, it is hard to not like this hotel just for that. Also, Dukes restaurant is located in the base of this hotel and it is very very popular because of the location and laid back vibe. It is kind of a newer version of the old Waikiki of the late 60s/early 70s kitchy tiki bar feel (which sounds horrible when I write it out, LOL) but it really is kind of what Hollywood and TV sold as Hawaii back then and many people have in their mind as "Hawaii". The hotel itself gets decent reviews but again it is where it is in relation to the beach, Diamond head, the shopping and places to eat.
http://www.outriggerwaikikihotel.com/

The Outrigger Reef on the Beach is usually a little less expensive and the beach in front is a little more rocky and reef-y so be aware http://www.outriggerreef-onthebeach.com/

We have stayed a few times at the Hyatt Regency Waikiki and the main reason was location (and my kids LOVE the little roof top pool that looks down onto the main drag and across to the beach and ocean) It is a huge hotel, cant say it was ever particularly fantastic but it is steps to the beach and great places to eat and shop while being priced a little less that the same level of hotel directly on the beach. It also has a hefty resort fee on top of nightly rate https://www.hyatt.com/en-US/hotel/hawaii/hyatt-regency-waikiki-beach-resort-and-spa/hnlrw

The Waikiki Beach Marriott Resort is a good option too although it is across the street from the water and most of the hotel faces inside the grid of the streets so ocean views are premium priced rooms. Also has a resort fee of around $35-40 a night https://www.marriott.com/hotels/tra...pa/?scid=bb1a189a-fec3-4d19-a255-54ba596febe2

I would be remiss if I didnt mention the iconic Hilton Hawaiian Village which is situated kind of as you enter the Waikiki Beach hotel zone. If you choose to stay here be aware it is almost its own little town (hence "village") It is imho isolated and although it offers lots of its own shops and restaurants. The beach there is very nice and the lagoon is fun. There is a marina at that end too (the one from the opening of Gilligans Island, I think) The problem with the HHV is that it can be VERY expensive and VERY busy. There is a resort fee of $40 a night and you need to educate yourself on which tower to stay in. Some are farther from the water so although they are cheaper they are not really on the water and can be a bit of a walk to it. Also, if you consider the HHV be aware that bedding situations change per tower, some offer 3 doubles and call them family suites! It is kind of weird but I think it because the HHV absorbed hotels in the immediate area and just branded then Hilton. It has many pros and cons but if you choose to stay here, read, read, read about it http://www.hiltonhawaiianvillage.com/

These are all just hotels I have stayed at, been in and are familiar enough to comment on. If you want something a little less expensive than these, I can suggest others as well but Waikiki is almost a fine oiled machine as far as pricing goes. You get what you pay for.

This is the area that the Hyatt Regency and the Marriott Resort are located in. this is the view form the Hyatt webcam

View attachment 324570

Thank you so much for this post. I will review all the hotels you are talking about. :)

When I meant beach front, I was thinking of a "private beach" but we have stayed in a hotel where the beach was right across the street and it was great so as long as the hotel is in the "clean part" of Waikiki some of you were talking about, I think it could be perfect too.

That Hilton Hawaiian Village got me very intrigued. I'm curious about the pros and cons. Based on pictures and reviews, it looks amazing but if you have more informations, I'd love to know them.

I priced out those hotels and they are exactly in the prices we'd like to pay for a first night.

Thank you so much!

This is what Dukes restaurant in the Outrigger looks like. I would suggest doing the breakfast or lunch buffet. Our ala carte dinner last time was not that great but you kind of cant beat the buffet for the price (in Waikiki) See what I mean about the kitschy old tiki bar feel, but it isnt cheap or cheesy, they have done a great job with it

View attachment 324572

View attachment 324573

View attachment 324574

This is the kind of restaurant my family would LOVE!!! Thank you! :D

There are no private beaches in Hawaii, nobody is allowed to own a stretch of beach and beach front resorts must provide beach access to the public

Good to know! Thank you! I guess I tend to associate private beach to "beach were we won't be annoyed by vendors".

Outrigger Waikiki is pretty nice. In addition to Duke's there is a great sandwich and smoothie shop at beach level there. We love grabbing stuff there for lunch on the beach.
We have stayed at a decent number of hotels and thus far the Moana Surfrider is our favorite. It's a beautiful hotel situated in a very convenient spot.
I'd like to try the Halekulani once just to see what all the fuss is about.
Haven't stayed at HHV but visit almost every trip, lots of shops to look around and we used to like seeing the penguins years ago (gone now). It is huge. It's sort of at the edge of Waikiki so it's not super central but you can be in the heart of Waikiki in 10-15 minutes walk.

Outrigger Waikiki is pretty nice. In addition to Duke's there is a great sandwich and smoothie shop at beach level there. We love grabbing stuff there for lunch on the beach.
We have stayed at a decent number of hotels and thus far the Moana Surfrider is our favorite. It's a beautiful hotel situated in a very convenient spot.
I'd like to try the Halekulani once just to see what all the fuss is about.
Haven't stayed at HHV but visit almost every trip, lots of shops to look around and we used to like seeing the penguins years ago (gone now). It is huge. It's sort of at the edge of Waikiki so it's not super central but you can be in the heart of Waikiki in 10-15 minutes walk.

Do you know the name of the sandwich and smoothie shop?

We went to all 4 major islands and went to plenty of beaches, I think we might not have seen any vendors on the beach (some on a car park), but at least we were never approached by any, doesn't matter if it's next to a resort or just on the road somewhere

Luckily beach vendors is not a thing in Hawaii!

I know I may sound like an overplanner but this exercise is good and every one is super excited every time I come up with some new information like "places close to the hotel where we can have good food for a reasonable price" so you guys are super heroes right now! :D

My thing about the Hilton Hawaiian Village is that if you want to experience Waikiki then I feel this hotel kind of just misses the mark because of it being on the edge as @ShirikiUtundu HHV is almost its own destination. At the same time, the location can be a benefit if you are arriving late and coming in from the airport as it is is one of the first hotels of many within the area.
Here are what I think are pros and cons

Pros-

-Self contained, you kind of dont have to leave the area
-Pools are really nice, probably the nicest in Waikiki (Sheraton Waikiki is beautiful too) but they are not heated so this hotel can be a let down for families with little kids in the winter months or any one (like me) who doesnt like a cold pool
-The lagoon is scenic
-The beach is very nice here
-Location IF you want to be on the outskirts of Waikiki. The proximity to the Ala Moana Mall is also a bonus if you are planning to go there at all
-The resort grounds are nicely landscaped and it makes you kind of forget you are in Waikiki and the city
-This resort has been here for years and is featured in lots of TV and movies. The Rainbow Tower was in the opening credits of the old Magnum PI and it is kind of cool to be there just because of how iconic the hotel is.
-Fireworks on Friday nights(I think it is Friday, check with the hotel if it is important to you)-so fun! But you can see them from most of the hotels in Waikiki anyway.

Cons-

-Huge resort that can be confusing to get around it. Due to its size, the processing at check in and check out can be very busy and time consuming.
-The different towers are essentially different levels of comfort and luxury under the umbrella of Hilton. I think you need to be very careful or you will end up overspending to stay here to stay in a crappy room within a luxury resort.
-Two double beds are the average sleeping arrangement for 4 people
-Crowded, popular with families because of the pools so if little kids running around are an issue this might not be the hotel for you (I doubt that is the case or you wouldnt be headed to Aulani)
-The location makes the other shops and restaurants of central Waikiki kind of far to get to. You are only doing one night
-It can be very very busy
-They do charge extra for things like beach chairs and umbrella and that is not included in the resort fee

Maybe others might want to add to this but these are just off the top of my head

This video gives you an idea of the area around the HHV

you can see if you paid a premium to stay at this resort and your view was a city view with a construction crane, tall buildings and traffic you might be a little let down.

This is a decent video review of the resort

@mevelandry you may want to sign up for Hilton Honors if you are not already a member plus Hilton does a Hawaii sale every once in a while that is really good so look for that.

My thing about the Hilton Hawaiian Village is that if you want to experience Waikiki then I feel this hotel kind of just misses the mark because of it being on the edge as @ShirikiUtundu HHV is almost its own destination. At the same time, the location can be a benefit if you are arriving late and coming in from the airport as it is is one of the first hotels of many within the area.
Here are what I think are pros and cons

Pros-

-Self contained, you kind of dont have to leave the area
-Pools are really nice, probably the nicest in Waikiki (Sheraton Waikiki is beautiful too) but they are not heated so this hotel can be a let down for families with little kids in the winter months or any one (like me) who doesnt like a cold pool
-The lagoon is scenic
-The beach is very nice here
-Location IF you want to be on the outskirts of Waikiki. The proximity to the Ala Moana Mall is also a bonus if you are planning to go there at all
-The resort grounds are nicely landscaped and it makes you kind of forget you are in Waikiki and the city
-This resort has been here for years and is featured in lots of TV and movies. The Rainbow Tower was in the opening credits of the old Magnum PI and it is kind of cool to be there just because of how iconic the hotel is.
-Fireworks on Friday nights(I think it is Friday, check with the hotel if it is important to you)-so fun! But you can see them from most of the hotels in Waikiki anyway.

Cons-

-Huge resort that can be confusing to get around it. Due to its size, the processing at check in and check out can be very busy and time consuming.
-The different towers are essentially different levels of comfort and luxury under the umbrella of Hilton. I think you need to be very careful or you will end up overspending to stay here to stay in a crappy room within a luxury resort.
-Two double beds are the average sleeping arrangement for 4 people
-Crowded, popular with families because of the pools so if little kids running around are an issue this might not be the hotel for you (I doubt that is the case or you wouldnt be headed to Aulani)
-The location makes the other shops and restaurants of central Waikiki kind of far to get to. You are only doing one night
-It can be very very busy
-They do charge extra for things like beach chairs and umbrella and that is not included in the resort fee

Maybe others might want to add to this but these are just off the top of my head

This video gives you an idea of the area around the HHV

you can see if you paid a premium to stay at this resort and your view was a city view with a construction crane, tall buildings and traffic you might be a little let down.

This is a decent video review of the resort

Which towers should we avoid? Or which towers should we be looking to book?

So far, we are very interested in this one and the Outrigger. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts