Aulani Pool Closure

Are they working on Sundays? I was hoping that it might be a bit quieter then.

No they were not working today. Honestly it's not a huge deal. With two kids, 5 and 6, the racket from Machinery is actually the least stressful noise in my life. Lol.
Spending time on the beach here and hanging in the open pools has been amazing. No complaints and if anything coming back one day I will have even more to look forward too.

normally construction in hawaii stops on the weekends, but its really gonna come down to how much they’re planning to do, and how far behind they get.

No they were not working today. Honestly it's not a huge deal. With two kids, 5 and 6, the racket from Machinery is actually the least stressful noise in my life. Lol.
Spending time on the beach here and hanging in the open pools has been amazing. No complaints and if anything coming back one day I will have even more to look forward too.
normally construction in hawaii stops on the weekends, but its really gonna come down to how much they’re planning to do, and how far behind they get.

Thanks to you both! We're going toward the end of the refurb period, so who knows if they'll be trying to catch up and finish and thus will have to work the weekends. Maybe we'll be lucky and they'll have the day off.

We liked our pool gardens view so much that we decided to book it again for Sept despite the construction going on. Nuts, I know but we figured what the heck. Maybe we can enjoy it for an hour in the morning before the construction starts. lol.

Considering how new this resort is I'm honestly shocked it needs this many repairs and renovations. We're arriving Oct 1st with an Island view. I'm hoping we won't hear the noice too much if we're in the Ewa building.

This is some serious work being done. Jackhammers and some heavy equipment. Not complaining but people need to know what they are getting into.
img_20190822_133109-jpg.428335
Thank you for posting this photo - we had already booked our DVC rental and like a week later they announced the refurb! We are going to be there at the end of October. Most days we are doing excursions that actually take us away from Aulani but on the Thursday we are there, we rented the Executive Lanai by Ama Ama. I'm wondering if this is going to be a less than relaxing experience because of the construction noise..... wish I'd had the foresight to book it on the weekend instead. When you're walking around the resort does it just feel like a construction zone, or is it still beautiful and relaxing? Trying to go in with a good attitude, but also trying to manage my expectations - it's a balance. Maybe we're better off booking another excursion and skipping the Executive Lanai this time....

All the red zone is totally blocked off. The yellow path is the only way to access the rest of the resort. In all honesty it's hard to call it relaxing being around the construction noise but it was no issue when swimming in the pools or the ocean. Also they have done a good job hiding it so it's definitely beautiful but make no mistake it's a large construction zone. Keep in mind though that it's totally scheduled to change on Oct 11.

Attachments

• IMG_20190828_110559.jpg
    IMG_20190828_110559.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 63

Aurora I don't think so. I think from reading it's more to combat issues like slipperiness around the pools etc.

They said on the website that there would extra entertainment added. Has anyone seen anything special/extra being offered in the Daily Iwa?

hopefully they stay on schedule with this. what kind of discounts would they have to offer to ppl who booked assuming it would be done if they don't finish?

All the red zone is totally blocked off. The yellow path is the only way to access the rest of the resort. In all honesty it's hard to call it relaxing being around the construction noise but it was no issue when swimming in the pools or the ocean. Also they have done a good job hiding it so it's definitely beautiful but make no mistake it's a large construction zone. Keep in mind though that it's totally scheduled to change on Oct 11.
How will it change on October 11? We’ll be there on the 8th...to be honest I hate all the construction Disney is doing! The parks In Orlando are a mess..I know they’re trying to make things better, but for the prices they charge, they should do more. We are DVC members..our daughter lives and is getting married in Hawaii. Trying to save money with the wedding..but I would never choose to stay there if I were paying cash....they’re are so many more places that are just as beautiful without all that mess..just my opinion

Last edited:
How will it change on October 11? We’ll be there on the 8th...to be honest I hate all the construction Disney is doing! The parks In Orlando are a mess..I know they’re trying to make things better, but for the prices they charge, they should do more. We are DVC members..our daughter lives and is getting married in Hawaii. Trying to save money with the wedding..but I would never choose to stay there if I were paying cash....they’re are so many more places that are just as beautiful without all that mess..just my opinion

Here's the schedule that Aulani has released for the pool closure. On October 11th, phase 1 of the pool refurbishment is supposed to end and on October 14th, phase 2 is supposed to begin. It seems like phase 2 is more extensive than phase 1.

August 19 to October 11

Open

Closed
  • Waikolohe Stream
  • Tubestone Curl Waterslide
  • Menehune Bridge
  • Waikolohe Stream Whirlpool Spa
  • Aulani Pool Parties

October 14 to December 17

Open

Closed
  • Waikolohe Pool
  • Volcanic Vertical Waterslide
  • Aulani Pool Parties
  • Rainbow Reef
  • Waikolohe Pool Whirlpool Spa
  • Both ‘Alohi Point Whirlpool Spas

I am very disappointed with the construction but trying to have a good attitude. We rented points and booked (and didn't buy point protection, we're young and healthy and roll the dice by not buying travel insurance, I realize that - I will probably buy point protection in the future). Then like a week later they announced the refurbishment. If we had just booked and not rented points, I probably would've cancelled and waited until later. But I'm trying to keep a good attitude about it - while still managing my expectations. We are doing a lot of excursions and will be away from Aulani so I'm hoping it won't affect us that much - but it's supposed to be this beautiful resort where you want to stay there and hang out and relax....

I am very disappointed with the construction but trying to have a good attitude. We rented points and booked (and didn't buy point protection, we're young and healthy and roll the dice by not buying travel insurance, I realize that - I will probably buy point protection in the future). Then like a week later they announced the refurbishment. If we had just booked and not rented points, I probably would've cancelled and waited until later. But I'm trying to keep a good attitude about it - while still managing my expectations. We are doing a lot of excursions and will be away from Aulani so I'm hoping it won't affect us that much - but it's supposed to be this beautiful resort where you want to stay there and hang out and relax....

I think as long as you know their will be some disruption and keep your good attitude you will have a great vacation. I have no regrets about choosing to travel during the refurbishment and enjoyed Aulani so much I am going back next March for spring break.

I think as long as you know their will be some disruption and keep your good attitude you will have a great vacation. I have no regrets about choosing to travel during the refurbishment and enjoyed Aulani so much I am going back next March for spring break.
Thank you!! That is very good to hear and makes me feel better.

Ok you have me confused. You say its a mess but you want them to do more. If they do more there will be more of a mess. Most people have said the work has not been overly disruptive. I think the advice above about going in with a good attitude about it will help your experience.

And I think keeping in mind, there is never a “perfect” time for repairs. Hawaii has year round tourists - someone is always going to be disappointed, me personally I wouldn’t be because Oahu is my happy place. Even when it rains, I am still happy to be there.

And I think keeping in mind, there is never a “perfect” time for repairs. Hawaii has year round tourists - someone is always going to be disappointed, me personally I wouldn’t be because Oahu is my happy place. Even when it rains, I am still happy to be there.
This is my first time visiting, but if it’s as amazing as everyone says it is, I’m sure it won’t be the last!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!