Aulani review

hpa

Earning My Ears
My adult daughter and I recently completed a 3 night stay at Aulani at the end of September. We rented points from David’s for an island/garden view studio. We saved at least $500 by renting points, doing so at the 7 month mark with no problems with availability. Our reservation was confirmed and paid for 2 days after the request.

After reading through the thread discussing views on this website, we knew to request a high floor studio ending in 79 or 73. We did not do online check-in and arrived at the Resort about 3pm on a Sunday. Our room was ready, we were booked in 1579, in the Eva tower which had a very nice view of the ocean if you looked to the right off the balcony. We also looked directly down to the luau lawn and we were able to watch a part of it one night. Once they start construction on the proposed Atlantis Resort, the rooms on this side of the Eva tower will not be nearly as desirable, you’ll look directly into the massive construction site. Sound proofing was good when the door was closed but when we sat outside on the balcony after 9pm, the roar of the massive air conditioning units to the left of the luau lawn was loud. I wouldn’t want to be staying in any of the rooms in that wing at all. (Sorry, I don’t know the name of that wing, I’m guessing it it the bank of rooms closest to the lobby that are classified as island/garden view.)

Couple of things about the studio...the room never really got cool. When we arrived, the thermostat was set at 76 and I immediately turned it down as low as it would go, which was 65. I never adjusted the temperature again and there is no way it got much cooler than the original 76 degrees. We stayed at Turtle Bay for a few nights before Aulani and had the a/c set to 68 and could really feel the cooler temps. Also, the lighting in the studio is awful. It’s very dark in the room and the bathroom lighting is probably the worst I’ve ever experienced. Couple that with no a/c vent in the bathroom made getting ready at night a sweaty proposition. My daughter didn’t seem to mind but I thought it was bad, maybe that’s just my old age kicking in, lol.

The lazy river and tube slide were closed for the majority of our first day, which was a bummer. Some sort of “contamination “ we were told. If that was the only reason for the closure, I’d be surprised. I’ve been to other water parks that experience closures for the same reason and they are able to cycle through and disinfect the water in far less time so I don’t know if that was the real reason for the closure. Other than the closure, we enjoyed the slides and lazy river for the next 2 days. Thank goodness, the resort seemed to empty out after our check-in on Sunday afternoon. When we first arrived , I was concerned about the crowds, it was pretty chaotic by the pools. Thankfully, I think a lot of the crowd were local families who were staying on property until the very end before heading home Sunday night. That proved to be true as the place definitely was less crowded on Monday..

One thing we did was walk over to the cove past the Four Seasons Resort to see turtles. It’s about a 10-15 min walk and is definitely worthwhile . Walk down the driveway between Aulani and the Four Seasons to the street and turn left. Go into the parking lot for the luau cove and look for the public beach access entrance.
We saw a turtle who was hanging out in the lagoon and swam quite close to us as we just stood in the water.( we didn’t harass him at all, just stood in the water while he made his way around)

We only ate 2meals at the resort, Off the Hook pool bar for a last minute dinner before they closed at 9pm and the character breakfast on my birthday. Sorry, I thought the breakfast was way over-rated. The food was just ok, for $50 all-in per person, it should have been better. The omelette station was great but there really wasn’t anything else that was special. We had 2 dinners at Monkeypod and they were fine, not anything super special, but fine.

Our flight back home didn’t leave until 10:30 pm so we had some time to kill. We checked out at 11am and moved our luggage to our car in the garage. The rest of the day we spent by the pool and headed to the lounge around 5pm. There are 3 showers and a bunch of lockers. We got lucky, there were only 2 other gals in there when we first arrived and they left quickly so we basically had the facility to ourselves. Once again, I thought it was very warm in there and tried to get out as soon as possible. We hung out in the lounge are for a good 30 minutes afterward s as it had s

Couple of things about the studio...the room never really got cool. When we arrived, the thermostat was set at 76 and I immediately turned it down as low as it would go, which was 65. I never adjusted the temperature again and there is no way it got much cooler than the original 76 degrees. We stayed at Turtle Bay for a few nights before Aulani and had the a/c set to 68 and could really feel the cooler temps.

Thanks for the review of your experience! :thanks:

Question about your A/C issues..... did you call Maintenance to have them fix it for you? I MUST have it cool to be able to sleep at all, so I do not hesitate to call Engineering asap. In fact, because so many hotels now have thermostats with motion sensors on them (which mean while you are IN the room and trying to actually sleep, the darned A/C kicks up WARMER like you aren't in the room! :headache: ), I will often call engineering and nicely ask them to come up and override the system so my A/C stays at the temp I want it to, NOT the temp the thermostat wants. >:(

And because I've stayed on my DVC membership several times at Aulani, it sounds like you might have needed to ask maintenance to replace light bulbs if it was that dim in the bathroom. Even if a bulb wasn't out, they likely could have put a couple of higher watt bulbs in for you.

One thing I know from working for a global company that is renown for guest service: a hotel can't fix what they don't know about. :sunny:

Ok, don’t know what happened to the rest of the report...
We left Aulani around 6pm, went to Costco for gas and the to Marianna Sailing Club for dinner. It’s a bit hard to find but is only 10 minutes from the airport so it’s a good option before a night flight. It’s an open-air tiki bar kind of place, pretty inexpensive compared to Aulani prices.

All in all, we enjoyed our stay. The resort is beautiful and cast members were lovely. I don’t know if I’d go back again without young children in tow. We saw lots of families really enjoying themselves all over the resort. Stay away from the weekends and try to go during a less crowded time to maximize your experience.

and the to Marianna Sailing Club for dinner.

Wow! I think you are the first person I have ever read of going to this cool old place! :cutie: I have wanted to get there for years. Glad to hear you enjoyed it. And yes, I had heard it was a bit tough to find, tucked away in an industrial area, yes?

Thanks for the review of your experience! :thanks:

Question about your A/C issues..... did you call Maintenance to have them fix it for you? I MUST have it cool to be able to sleep at all, so I do not hesitate to call Engineering asap. In fact, because so many hotels now have thermostats with motion sensors on them (which mean while you are IN the room and trying to actually sleep, the darned A/C kicks up WARMER like you aren't in the room! :headache: ), I will often call engineering and nicely ask them to come up and override the system so my A/C stays at the temp I want it to, NOT the temp the thermostat wants. >:(

And because I've stayed on my DVC membership several times at Aulani, it sounds like you might have needed to ask maintenance to replace light bulbs if it was that dim in the bathroom. Even if a bulb wasn't out, they likely could have put a couple of higher watt bulbs in for you.

One thing I know from working for a global company that is renown for guest service: a hotel can't fix what they don't know about. :sunny:

No, I didn’t call maintenance because with the ceiling fan on, the room itself was comfortable enough. It just never got into the 60’s. The bathroom didn’t have an a/c vent except for in the toilet room so that area was really warm to me after showers. I didn’t think to ask for higher wattage light bulbs to brighten it up. Maybe that would have helped, I just went out in the studio and did my makeup under the fan

Wow! I think you are the first person I have ever read of going to this cool old place! :cutie: I have wanted to get there for years. Glad to hear you enjoyed it. And yes, I had heard it was a bit tough to find, tucked away in an industrial area, yes?
Yes, it is off of sand island access road. Real close to the airport and you are overlooking the lagoon the aircraft fly over when taking off. Though you are not close enough to see them or the runway.

Thanks for the review. Love reading Aulani reports.

With regard to the temperature issue in the studio, could it be that the sliding door wasn't locked? Many nicer resorts in tropical areas seem to have that feature. Can't remember with certainty if Aulani does?

Thank again.

Thanks for the review. Love reading Aulani reports.

With regard to the temperature issue in the studio, could it be that the sliding door wasn't locked? Many nicer resorts in tropical areas seem to have that feature. Can't remember with certainty if Aulani does?

Thank again.
No, the slider was closed and locked. I just think it was a matter of hotter than normal temperatures that week in Hawaii and being located on a high floor.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter