• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Aulani Snorkeling?

hmcfall711

DIS Veteran
I'm sure this info is available somewhere but I can't find it.

When snorkeling at Aulani do they offer the inflatable float vest? We've been snorkeling with Disney at Castaway Cay, where they offer that as an option.

If you get the length of stay pass can you take the equipment with you from the reef to the lagoon or do you turn it in and check out a new one at the lagoon?

I'm sure this info is available somewhere but I can't find it.

When snorkeling at Aulani do they offer the inflatable float vest? We've been snorkeling with Disney at Castaway Cay, where they offer that as an option.

If you get the length of stay pass can you take the equipment with you from the reef to the lagoon or do you turn it in and check out a new one at the lagoon?

hiya,

I am off to Aulani 4 weeks today, so much to think about but i also was wondering about using the snorkels out side of the reef? Unless its worth buying our own to use?

Cheers

I not sure but I think the equipment might be for Rainbow Reef and not for use in the lagoon. I would call the resort and clarify the details. The Aulani website doesn't say if you can take the equipment to the beach. http://resorts.disney.go.com/aulani...ies-amenities/pools-beach/pools/rainbow-reef/ I would doubt it since the equipment is shared with other guests going to Rainbow Reef. There is a separate company that rents snorkel equipment on the beach.

My DSIL and family rented snorkeling equipment from the Ko Olina Marina as they planned to do snorkeling on the north shore as well as at Aulani. But when they did Rainbow Reef they had to use the equipment there.

Let us know if you find out an answer.

We returned from Aulani about 2 weeks ago. My sons had the length of stay snorkel pass and they were able to get rainbow reef and lagoon equipment. Rainbow reef was mask, snorkel, yellow inflatable vest (everybody was wearing them). Lagoon equipment from Makiki Joes was mask, snorkel, fins, and yellow vest (if you wanted it.)

Rainbow reef equipment stayed up there. If you wanted snorkel gear for the lagoon it was checked out at the beach.

haven't seen inflatable vests, just the padded foam blue and yellow ones.

i was told that in order to keep the fish healthy, you had to use rainbow reef-specific gear while snorkeling on-property. there was a separate rental stand (Disney-operated) on the lagoon with all sorts of gear.

there is a Sports Authority and Target in Kapolei (2.5 miles) so there's always that option...

Thanks everyone for the info.

We returned from Aulani about 2 weeks ago. My sons had the length of stay snorkel pass and they were able to get rainbow reef and lagoon equipment. Rainbow reef was mask, snorkel, yellow inflatable vest (everybody was wearing them). Lagoon equipment from Makiki Joes was mask, snorkel, fins, and yellow vest (if you wanted it.)

Great info. thanks.

haven't seen inflatable vests, just the padded foam blue and yellow ones.

i was told that in order to keep the fish healthy, you had to use rainbow reef-specific gear while snorkeling on-property. there was a separate rental stand (Disney-operated) on the lagoon with all sorts of gear.

there is a Sports Authority and Target in Kapolei (2.5 miles) so there's always that option...

You know I didn't think about it but this really makes sense. They don't want the "germs" from the ocean fish in their well maintained reef. It would be horrible if a sickness took it over and shut it down.

Would this mean if we brought our own masks we couldn't use them at Rainbow Reef? DH is really hard to fit and had to have a mask custom made/fitted for him at a local scuba shop.

We both have our own mask & snorkel and DH feels fine with out the vest but it is just additional reassurance for me. I didn't know if I'd need to bring one (can't image using the space in the luggage for that, but would if I needed to).

Does anyone know if the vests would be like at the pool where you just take and return it when your finished, or if we would need to stop by the rental booth.? Would there be a fee if that was all you needed?

Does anyone know if the vests would be like at the pool where you just take and return it when your finished, or if we would need to stop by the rental booth.? Would there be a fee if that was all you needed?

The same tent/kiosk where you get wristbands and towels has the "lifevests" as well. it's on the pool deck, next to the volcano.

Where can I rent snorkle equipment at the Ko Olina marina? How much does it cost and what does it include? I spoke to someone at Aulani about a length of stay rental of equipment. They did not say that it could not be taken off property. I don't think they really pay attention once it is rented. Thanks for the info.

Where can I rent snorkle equipment at the Ko Olina marina? How much does it cost and what does it include? I spoke to someone at Aulani about a length of stay rental of equipment. They did not say that it could not be taken off property. I don't think they really pay attention once it is rented. Thanks for the info.

Something to think about......we bought our own snorkeling equipment at a sporting goods store do less than paying a rental. We are keeping it for future trips, but a person could also resell and get back part of their investment.
We saw snorkel sets with glass mask, snorkel, and fins in the Ko Olina Target for about $50 and at their Sports Authority next door for about $65 or $70 ( a nicer set).

We did length of stay and took them off property, that said the fins are rainbow reef specific (cut short) so not ideal for much in the way of real current.

I not sure but I think the equipment might be for Rainbow Reef and not for use in the lagoon. I would call the resort and clarify the details. The Aulani website doesn't say if you can take the equipment to the beach. http://resorts.disney.go.com/aulani-hawaii-resort/activities-amenities/pools-beach/pools/rainbow-reef/ I would doubt it since the equipment is shared with other guests going to Rainbow Reef. There is a separate company that rents snorkel equipment on the beach.

My DSIL and family rented snorkeling equipment from the Ko Olina Marina as they planned to do snorkeling on the north shore as well as at Aulani. But when they did Rainbow Reef they had to use the equipment there.

Let us know if you find out an answer.

I think this is incorrect. We rented the snorkeling gear at Rainbow Reef, and they told us it was ours all day. We were able to turn it in down at the lagoon when my son didn't want it anymore. They wrote down our names, etc.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter