Aulani TR - Sharks, Horses, a sub-scooter and Mickey!

loving your report - especially all the photos.

We leave for Oahu next week!

What a huge bummer on the migraine and the nonrefundable tickets, wise man though to just tough it put with your wife. major brownie points as frustrating as that must have been. So glad it improved and you were able to get out, looks like it turned into a lovely outing despite the rain. Hmm ok the possible Bacteria in the water would give me pause as well, how much was admission?

Gorgeous photos, it definitely going on my list of probable things to do.
Price for Waimea Falls was very reasonable. It was $15.52 (tax included) each and with the DVC discount, the total for both of us was only $23.56.

Ugh. Sorry to hear about the migraine and subsequent loss of funds. That's never fun, but I'm sure it was the right call. Looks like the gardens were a worthy substitute activity!
It turned out to be a nice day and I didn't have to worry about DW paying the shark guide to open the cage when the sharks approached! ;)

Those darn migraines. How inconvenient. Your poor wife.

On the other hand, those pictures of the gardens are gorgeous. I looked at them all this morning before I left for work. The flowers remind me so much of the flowers were saw on Tahiti. (Yeah - we went to New Zealand many years ago and decided to stop in Tahiti instead of Hawaii on the way home).

That was some serious rain. Your luck lingers in that it finally stops once you get back to the visitor's center. :sad2:
It was really beautiful and I didn't post half the pics I took. Too many were hazy or wet! :sad:

Sorry the morning didn't start too well but it seems like the day wound up okay! The pictures of the flowers are beautiful but that rain looks crazy! I would definitely not go into that waterfall pond water with a warning like that!! :eek:
Because it had been raining so much, the falls were flowing very heavily so they wouldn't let us swim anyway but I'm like you, I don't think I would have with that warning and my luck!

That 49er game gave me a migraine!
You and me both brother! But we did get some great charbroiled oysters at Drago's before the game! :thumbsup2

loving your report - especially all the photos.

We leave for Oahu next week!
Thanks for the kind words. It's not difficult to take decent pics when the subject is so beautiful. I hope y'all have a great time in Oahu!

Beuller? Beuller? Bueller?

Hmmm...not much activity on this TR...guess I need to wrap it up this weekend.

:rotfl2: That is totally my favorite movie line. After all these years it still makes me laugh.

I am looking forward to more of your TR. Such an amazing place.

Hey, what dates did you end up going with for F&W next year?

:rotfl2: That is totally my favorite movie line. After all these years it still makes me laugh.

I am looking forward to more of your TR. Such an amazing place.

Hey, what dates did you end up going with for F&W next year?

I can't tell you how many times I've watched that movie! It's a classic!

Combine the detail and magic of Disney with the beauty and serenity of Hawaii and you get Aulani. How could it be anything but amazing?! :thumbsup2

We will be at BCV from 10/19-10/27/13...8 nights!! That is the longest we have stayed at WDW. I am SOOOO looking forward to it. What are your dates again?

We purchased the discounted DVC PAP's so we'll have to go another time to make good use of them. We are looking at BWV in late April, 2014 or early May, 2014 for F&G.

I can't tell you how many times I've watched that movie! It's a classic!

Me too! If I happen to channel surf and see it on I have to stop what I am doing and watch the rest. :rotfl:

We will be at BCV from 10/19-10/27/13...8 nights!! That is the longest we have stayed at WDW. I am SOOOO looking forward to it. What are your dates again?

We are arriving on Thursday the 24th and leave from the cruise on the 27th. Woo Hoo! :cool1: We WILL get to meet you.:thumbsup2 That's great! Yeah! I will be waitlisting at BWV at 7 months and I think I have a good chance of getting it based on this year's experience. So excited. I know Denny is going to love F&W.

We purchased the discounted DVC PAP's so we'll have to go another time to make good use of them. We are looking at BWV in late April, 2014 or early May, 2014 for F&G.

Doing the exact same thing. (well, I'm not sure were will be staying) We are going to go back for F&G 2014. Denny doesn't know this yet, but hopefully he will be into it. If not, I am still going. And I am hoping that Cynthia may want to join us as well.

We are arriving on Thursday the 24th and leave from the cruise on the 27th. Woo Hoo! :cool1: We WILL get to meet you.:thumbsup2 That's great! Yeah! I will be waitlisting at BWV at 7 months and I think I have a good chance of getting it based on this year's experience. So excited. I know Denny is going to love F&W.
Allright!!!! We finally get to meet!

Doing the exact same thing. (well, I'm not sure were will be staying) We are going to go back for F&G 2014. Denny doesn't know this yet, but hopefully he will be into it. If not, I am still going. And I am hoping that Cynthia may want to join us as well.
You mean we might get to meet twice?!?!? :cool1:

Friday – September 7th (cont)

As I stated previously, once we were back to the visitor’s center, the rain was letting up so we decided to ride around and take in the scenery.

375.jpg

376.jpg

377.jpg

We stopped here

378.jpg

379.jpg

380.jpg

381.jpg

382.jpg

383.jpg

384.jpg

(Continued in next post...)

(Continued from previous post)

Some of the beautiful scenery

385.jpg

386.jpg

387.jpg

388.jpg

389.jpg

Some people just can’t obey signs

390.jpg

391.jpg

392.jpg

393.jpg

I knew I should have brought my telephoto lens

394.jpg

(Continued in next post - 2)

(Continued from previous post - 2)

Next up was Makapu’u Lookout

395.jpg

396.jpg

397.jpg

398.jpg

399.jpg

400.jpg

401.jpg

This was something that caught my eye

402.jpg

403.jpg

It seems that visitors to Hawaii’s parks and sights build small rock stacks supposedly as a show of respect for Hawaiian deities or to the power of the volcano Kilauea. However, the locals say the practice is misguided and is akin to sacrilege since most of these sites are sacred to native Hawaiians. Here endeth your history lesson for today.

(Continued in next post - 3)

(Continued from previous post - 3)

It was getting late but we kept to the shore line…

404.jpg

405.jpg

406.jpg

Time to hang ten

407.jpg

408.jpg

409.jpg

410.jpg

411.jpg

412.jpg

413.jpg

(Continued in next post - 4)

(Continued from previous post - 4)

Righteous waves dude!

414.jpg

415.jpg

Kowabunga…more surfing

416.jpg

417.jpg

Waiting for the final wave of the day

418.jpg

(Continued in next post - 5)

(Continued from previous post - 5)

One last ride

420.jpg

421.jpg

422.jpg

423.jpg

424.jpg

And a nice way to end the trek with more beautiful scenery

425.jpg

That was it for the day. No speeding tickets on the return trip and it was late enough that the traffic wasnt bad. On the way back, as we neared Aulani, we turned north onto Olani Street. This is the last cross street on Aliinui Drive before you get to Aulani and if you turned south on Olani Street, you would be at the J W Marriott Resort. We just wanted to see what was down that road and it turned out that there were two small cafes (Ko Olina Hawaiian BBQ and a Taco place) and also a small grocery store, Island Country Market. The grocery store had adult beverages, souvenirs, staples and also had prepared foods as well as a grill for made to order take out. We bought a couple of soup & sandwich meals and a bowl of chili to take back to the room. It was less than $20 total, quite tasty and by far the least expensive meal thus far! We told DD and DSiL to make sure they visit here often when they go to Aulani for their delayed honeymoon on 12/14/12. Good food, easy walking distance from Aulani and very reasonable prices! Too bad we didnt discover this area at the first of the week instead of the end of our trip!

It was late. DW was tired and drained between the migraine, the rain, the walking and the riding. All-in-all, the day ended up much better than it started. I didnt get to swim with the sharks but I probably saved having to clean out my swimsuit as a result!! :sad2:

Wonderful trip report! So glad I happened upon it. We are going in May and a lot of the things that you did are on our list. So glad to hear about booking the ranch tour on your own. Did you call them or use the Internet? We did a sea trek excursion on a DCL cruise. It is similar to your underwater scooter excursion, but no scooter. Did you have to decompress as you went down. We did on the sea trek. I was nervous being that far down. Just wondered if you were that far down on the scooters.

Love the shots of the shoreline. The water is so breathtakingly blue.

So I guess you didn't try your hand at the surfing?

Thanks for the tip on the take-out joints/grocery store near Aulani! We tried to get in there for June and got waitlisted, but I'm taking note just in case the wait list comes through for us.

Wonderful trip report! So glad I happened upon it. We are going in May and a lot of the things that you did are on our list. So glad to hear about booking the ranch tour on your own. Did you call them or use the Internet?
Thank you ma'am for the kind words. I called to book the ranch tour because I had a few questions. If you call, remember there is a 5 hour time difference from CST. I didn't the first time I called. :sad2:

We did a sea trek excursion on a DCL cruise. It is similar to your underwater scooter excursion, but no scooter. Did you have to decompress as you went down. We did on the sea trek. I was nervous being that far down. Just wondered if you were that far down on the scooters.
The area that they took us to use the scooters was only about 25' deep and the scooters were about 15' below the surface so need for decompression.

Love the shots of the shoreline. The water is so breathtakingly blue.

So I guess you didn't try your hand at the surfing?
It is really a beautiful place. I have more pictures coming later from our last day at the north shore. No, didn't try surfing. Where we went on the north shore you could tell it wasn't for beginners. Too many rocks that only the locals know where they are located. The waves were normally about 3-6' when we went in September. This time of year, December, they are 15-30'! :eek:

Thanks for the tip on the take-out joints/grocery store near Aulani! We tried to get in there for June and got waitlisted, but I'm taking note just in case the wait list comes through for us.
It is simple food but good and inexpensive. Hope your waitlist comes through.

Saturday – September 8th

Today was a day to take it easy. Our plans are to go to the Aloha Stadium swap meet, a couples massage at Aulani’s Laniwai Spa and then dinner tonight at Aulani’s Ama Ama restaurant.

The swap meet at Aloha Stadium is just as it sounds. There are hundreds and hundreds of vendors that ring the OUTSIDE of the stadium to sell their wares. Depending on how many show up for that Saturday, the ring around the stadium may be 2 or 3 deep. On this Saturday, the number of vendors completely surrounded the stadium and a second ring was just inside the main ring and it went about half way around the stadium! If I had to guess, I’d guesstimate that there were over 500 vendors when we were there! We read about this event on the DISboards and was told that this was the place to get your souvenirs. The vendors range from gazillions of t-shirts, wind chimes, wood carvings, jewelry, books, CD/DVD’s, plants, food, musical instruments, plaques, yadda, yadda, yadda…. Some of the items are cheap; some are inexpensive; some are unique; some are bargains; some are more expensive/higher quality items than you would expect for this venue. If you are going to get souvenirs for the folks back home and will be on Oahu on a Saturday, a trip here is well worth your time. It must have been for us, we spent $231 there!

A couple of pics of the swap meet and SOME of the items we purchased from one vendor

426.jpg

427.jpg

428.jpg

The center necklace is mother-of-pearl on a piece of volcanic rock. The two outer necklaces are a tear drop of volcanic rock with a semi-precious stone on top that corresponded with the recipients’ birthstone.

We had an interesting conversation with the woman that we purchased the jewelry from shown above. DW and I live in a small bedroom community called Petal, MS. There are only about 15,000 people in our little hamlet and 90%+ of the residents live here due to the excellent school system. There is no major industry in our town and most everyone works in the larger city across the river, Hattiesburg. As we were talking to the woman selling the jewelry, I asked her where she was from since she had an obvious Germanic accent. She told us she was born in Germany, moved to the mainland US as a teenager and had lived in Hawaii for about 20 years. She asked where we were from and we told her Mississippi…who’s ever heard of Petal, right? She then told us that before she moved to Hawaii, she lived in a small town in Mississippi that we probably never heard of…Petal!! At first I thought she was trying to connect with us in order to sell stuff but I realized I never told her the name of our town. When we told her we lived in Petal, she was obviously shocked! We moved there in 1992 and she said she left about that time. She told us the street she lived on and named a few neighbors that were her friends and we knew the street and one of the neighbors! To quote Walt, “It’s a small world after all!” Can you imagine that? It’s over 4,100 miles from Petal to Honolulu and we run into someone that lived in our little hometown! Amazing.

(Continued in next post)

(Continued from previous post)

We bought all kinds of things at the swap meet. The above mentioned necklaces, two bracelets, a wind chime, some of the sweetest pineapple you’ll ever put in your mouth, a wood carved plaque, a t-shirt and two gag gifts – a ukulele and a grass skirt! It was a pleasant couple of hours at Aloha Stadium. With our purchases all packed up, we headed back to the resort. Along the way, I noticed a vehicle with some writing in the rear window…

429.jpg

Something was odd about it and as we got closer, I realized what it was…

430.jpg

Poor Vinny. I’m glad it is only his first birthday so he won’t be embarrassed by his parents spelling!

On the way back to Aulani, we stopped for lunch at the Ko Olina Hawaiian BBQ place I mentioned earlier. DON’T expect any ambiance because there isn’t any. There are only 4 or 5 booths inside but they had a pretty decent menu. DW got a bacon, egg and rice breakfast platter. I got a garlic shrimp and rice platter. Rice is served on everything I think and they give you two big scoops. With drinks, it was less than $18 for the both of us. Again, nothing fancy but decent food at a reasonable price.

We were back in our room by 12:30 to get ready for our couples massage at 2:00. You can arrive up to one hour early to enjoy the facilities prior to the massage. We chose the Honi Honi “Sealed with a kiss” duet couples massage for 80 minutes. There is a shorter massage at 50 minutes. The Honi Honi is a Lomilomi massage followed by a tropical body butter kiss.

“The Lomilomi massage is a traditional Hawaiian massage that promotes healing. This hands-on massage uses gentle, rhythmic pressure to relieve tension and help you achieve ultimate relaxation.”

Okay, so that’s what the brochure says anyway. DW gets massages regularly but I have NEVER had one. I was a bit apprehensive having some stranger put their hands all over me but I thought this would be a good way to wrap up our trip and I’ll try most anything once so…. Besides, we got a DVC discount so let’s go for it!

(Continued in next post - part 2)

(Continued from previous post - part 2)

We arrived about 1:00 and a CM greeted us and showed us around the facilities. The entrance and lobby area

431.jpg

432.jpg

We are taken down a hall to a small pool. On a table there are stones with words of inspiration or healing on the underside. You close your eyes, chose a stone and then toss the stone into the pool.

433.jpg

434.jpg

435.jpg

We were told some kind of Hawaiian legend about the significance of what we just did but I can’t remember any of it. I was thinking too much about what was to come. Our CM guide showed us to the different gender specific preparation rooms and the doors to the outside spa. I can’t tell you what was in the ladies side but the men’s side resembled what I perceive would be an upscale men’s club spa. It was all marble, dark wood, mirrors and piles of warm towels. The changing room had lockers for your clothes. There were individual showers and an area to shave and dry your hair. A CM met me after I had put items in the locker and gave me a thick, warm robe. He showed me the wet sauna and the dry sauna. He then gave me various samples of aromatic salts to choose from. These salts would be infused into the body butter that would be used during the massage. I was then led to the outdoors area of the spa and shown the facilities there. I was told to use whatever I wanted, that my wife would be out shortly to join me and a CM would be out in about 45 minutes to take us to the massage room. Some pics from the outside spa…

A cleansing pool

436.jpg

The hot tub (105 degrees) and cold tub (50 degrees)

437.jpg

438.jpg

The foot massage path

439.jpg

A place to relax

440.jpg

441.jpg

Various outdoor showers

442.jpg

443.jpg

444.jpg

445.jpg

I guess you could get your massage outdoors

446.jpg

447.jpg

I started out in the hot tub and let me tell you…it is HOT!!! I was in just a few minutes when DW joined me. We weren’t there but a short time when a CM appeared and offered us something to drink. We picked correctly by choosing the pineapple water. It hit the spot. After a few minutes we walked around the outdoors area. I put my toe in the cold tub and no way Jose! :scared1: It was too cold especially after the hot tub. We cooled off by trying the various different outdoor showers and then sat down on the chaise lounges to relax. There was a slight breeze, the temperature was just right and somehow the noises from the resort were not penetrating this area. I’m not sure how long we were out there but eventually a CM approached and told us it was time for our massage. We were told to rinse off, shed our clothes (my words, not hers!) and were shown the room we were to wait in for our massage. In the locker room there is a machine you can put your swim suit in and it acts like a washer spin cycle in that it removes most all moisture. Two spins in that, put it in the locker, put the robe back on and GULP, here we go! :rolleyes1

Inside the pre-massage room were about 8 different chaise lounges, more pineapple water and some snack foods. DW joined me shortly and then another CM asked us to follow her to the massage room. Once inside the room, we were introduced to our two masseuses. We were shown the adjoining restroom and told to undress and get under the sheet that was on the massage table and they would return in a few minutes. We did as we were told. DW had a smirk on her face because she knew I was a bit uncomfortable. In a few minutes there was a knock on the door and so it began.

(Continued in next post - part 3)

(Continued from previous post - part 3)

For the next 80 minutes or so (I have no idea how long it really was), a woman not known to me until a few minutes before, proceeded to rub, knead, massage and apply oils to approximately 92.4% of my body. (Don’t ask how I arrived at that number!) I started out on my stomach and at some point she asked me to turn over, covered my eyes and then worked on that side. The body oil had the scent that I picked earlier.

I’m here to tell you that during those 80 minutes, with my wife of 30 years about 4 feet away, I was in love with another woman! It was all I could do to keep from asking her to come home with us. It was relaxing, it was tense, it was therapeutic, it was VERY sensuous! :woohoo: What have I been missing all these years?!?! Even DW, who has massages often, said that this one was much better than she usually gets. La madre di dio, molto ottimo!! :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2

Now…before anyone asks…this was not cheap. We could have gone for the 50 minute massage. We could have chosen one of the less expensive therapies. We only get to celebrate our 30th anniversary once so we went with the premium package. There is a slight DVC discount and there is a 20% automatic service charge. The total for everything was $523.78. :scared: I know, that’s a lot for about 2 ½ hours of pampering but it was oh so grand. It’s not something I could afford to do all the time but we enjoyed it so much (DW doesn’t know this yet) I am going to set one up for us at the Grand Floridian when we visit WDW next October during F&W.

After that fantastic adventure, we made our way back to our room loose as a goose and ready for…….

(Continued in next post - part 4)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter