Aulani - WKORV Trip report

Sunday 4/14:
We were up again early on Sunday for our long day at Diamondhead and Waikiki. At this point I am starting to worry about a mutiny from the teenagers as we all know how much they love their sleeptime…but whatever, I’ll take my chances-we are on vacation in paradise…you can sleep at home!!
I must admit, I dragged my feet a little this morning as Tiger Woods was making a run at a green jacket at the Masters! Fortunately I was able to drag myself away from the tv and we headed out for our usual breakfast stop at the Island Country Market across the street before heading to Diamondhead.
It was a hot morning and we ran into a parking issue since there was some sort of road race taking place and we has a difficult time finding parking (we couldn’t get to the Diamondhead lot because the road was closed for the race which ended up being a blessing in disguise!) My crew was losing interest in finding a parking spot but I was determined not to miss this opportunity (I never made the trek up Diamondhead on my previous trip to Oahu). We finally settled on a paring lot “reserved” for a school or something but it was a Sunday and I was willing to risk it! It was a bit of a walk to just get up the driveway to the Diamondhead entrance but we quickly saw the blessing as anyone who was able to enter very early (before the race) was stopped from exiting until the racers had passed!
We paid our entrance fee and began the climb! It was a long and winding climb up the crater and I made sure to keep my lead as to avoid a knife in my back from the potential “mutineers” behind me! We stopped a few times for various pictures and water (which we had brought with us). I am proud to say that the crew sucked it up and seemed to be happy that they day when we finally reached the summit (my evidence of their contentness being the fact that I am writing this now!)
The views were breathtaking:

It was truly amazing. It was also very inspiring to see the various people (many elderly and physically challenged) making the hike! It put my crew’s complaints to rest!
The crowds had certainly increased on our decent and we were again grateful for our early start and arrival!
After getting back to the jeep (and feeling fortunate for no parking ticket!) we headed for Waikiki. We found a parking lot 2 blocks from the beach at a hotel that allowed public parking. We made our way down to the shore where we quickly took in the beautiful views (and LOTS of people). The crew was hungry, and we set out to find Duke’s (which has conveniently close by). After a short wait we were seated in a great spot outside overlooking the beach. We had a great lunch to go along with a couple of Duke’s famous Mai Tai’s and non-alcohol drinks for the teens. We now headed for the beach and found a nice spot to sit. We rented a surf board for the teens and they headed out to the beautiful water of Waikiki beach! (I thought it was so cool to look back at Diamondhead from Waikiki beach after looking at Waikiki beach from Diamondhead just hours earlier!)

I can’t say that it was the most successful day of catching waves but they all (allegedly) managed to get up at least once. We wrapped up the surfing session and agreed to go our separate ways for a couple of hours…Bec and I to the Mai Tai bar…

…and the teens to shop and find icecream. We enjoyed our Mai Tai’s and then took a walk through the shops before meeting up with the kids, getting the jeep and heading back to Aulani for our now routine of early evening pool, hottub time. We debated our dinner options and settled on Assaggio Italian not far from Aulani (near target I recall). It is a non-descript building but our meal was good to very good, fast and reasonable. We would go back if in the area! We headed back to Aulani headed to bed after our very active and fulfilling day!
…next up Pearl harbor!

Last edited:
Loving the report! Any chance you remember the hotel you were able to park at in Waikiki?

This is my 1st trip report. I have been on countless trips to the Caribbean, Disney World, and other great places. I got some great tips and advice from this forum so I wanted to give back. I hope this is helpful to anyone planning a trip to Hawaii!

The group was myself Mike (48), my daughter Alyssa (14), Significant Other Becky (46) SO’s daughter Caroline (17), SO’s daughter’s boyfriend Cam (17)

We spent 5 nights at Aulani and 5 nights at the Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas-North on Maui

Thursday 4/11

We left home at 1am (a 2 hour ride to the airport) for a 5am flight out of Boston connecting through Dallas/Fort Worth (35 minutes between flights…yikes!). The real scary part was that because Cam came late to the team, he did not have a seat assignment from DFW to HNL. A little back story: I would generally have avoided bringing the “boyfriend” however, Cam was the captain of the high school hockey team that I am the assistant coach for and have coached this wonderful young man for the past 4 years. He has never been on a plane or had a vacation like this so I was very happy to provide this opportunity for him!

DFW is a huge airport and the 1st time I have ever connected thru here (I did have Dallas as a destination a number of years ago). I did extensive research ahead of time to figure out the best way to get from Terminal A to Terminal D. I settled on the Skylink (internal shuttle/train fast and efficient). Our flight from Boston arrived a few minutes early but I didn’t want to take any chances so the Captain of this trip (ME…not you CAM) took off like a Zdeno Chara (Boston Bruins defenseman for non-hockey fans) slapshot to get to the gate and secure Cam a seat! Lo and behold, not only did Cam get a seat, he got a 1st class-lie flat seat for the trip to Paradise while the rest of us flew premium economy (American Airlines 777-200 – what a great plane!) The flight, though long (around 8 hours), was uneventful and quite comfortable in premium economy.

View attachment 396828

Upon landing at HNL I headed to Alamo (off-site) to get our 4 door-Jeep while the team waited for our luggage. I used skip-the-line and was out of there in less than 5 minutes! I picked up the team and we were on our way to Aulani!

It was a short ride to Aulani (30 minutes or so). Check in was a little clunky (my fault not Aulani’s) as I did on-line check in but our room wasn’t ready (as expected and not an issue) and between having bell services hold our luggage, wanting to move the jeep to the parking lot and everyone’s excitement to see the property, I did a bit of running around. Finally, everyone had changed into their “Hawaii” clothes and when I caught up to them about a half hour later with our 1st of many Mai Tai’s (for Becky and I), the teens had ALREADY FINISHED their 1st of MANY cold treats (this was mickey-ear shave ice…not the best of the trip according to them but a great start!) After a dip in the lagoon, we headed to the great pools and hot tubs that Aulani has to offer. A quick shower and we were headed across the street to Monkeypod for dinner. We are a pretty simple group when it comes to eating so Monkeypod was pleasing to all (especially for Becky and I…Mai Tai #2 of the trip and maybe the BEST!) The teens got ice cream next door and Becky and I headed to Target for supplies for our 5 night stay in a dedicated 2 bedroom oceanview villa!

We were in room 1280 (I had requested a high floor with a room ending in 86, 80 or 74). It did not disappoint. We had a great view of the pool area, the lagoon, and sunset! I have been a DVC owner (1st BWV and now BCV) so I new what to expect from the villa and it served our purposes perfectly!

View attachment 396822View attachment 396823

After a long day of travel and getting a taste of Aulani, we were ready to crash for the night before 9pm!

more to come...
How was the 4 door jeep? Was there enough room for everyone plus luggage? Thinking of renting one next year? Do you mind me asking if you found a good deal? TIA

Glad you enjoyed the Diamondhead hike. We've booked an early morning tour (we're not hiring a car) and I've debated cancelling, but reading that lots of folks with varying degrees of ability manage it have settled my nerves. I really want to see those stunning views, too.

Loving the photos - looks like you all had an awesome time.

How was the 4 door jeep? Was there enough room for everyone plus luggage? Thinking of renting one next year? Do you mind me asking if you found a good deal? TIA

We all have a full sized suitcase plus a carry-on. It was tight from the airport to Aulani but it all fit nicely (teens had carry-ons on lap for trip from airport). I used BJ's club for discount with Alamo and skip the line check in! It was $325 for 5 days and I booked well in advance and kept checking prices but never found any cheaper.

Glad you enjoyed the Diamondhead hike. We've booked an early morning tour (we're not hiring a car) and I've debated cancelling, but reading that lots of folks with varying degrees of ability manage it have settled my nerves. I really want to see those stunning views, too.

It is a long hike no doubt but if you pace yourself (and bring water) I believe it is well worth it!

Loving the report! Already making mental notes to check out the secret beach and Waimea Falls Park on my next visit.

Monday 4/15:

Up early again (the 6 hour time change totally worked in my favor in getting the teens up and out for our excursions!) and off to the market for our usual breakfast/coffee then the trip to Pearl Harbor. I had visited PH on my previous trip to Oahu years ago but it was an absolute MUST for my group to visit! I think that the importance of WW II to the history our country cannot be overstated and the bravery of that generation must be explained to the generations to follow (Ok, stepping off the soapbox now).

We arrived early enough to be in the 2nd group for the movie that precedes the trip around the Arizona Memorial. It was slightly disappointing that we couldn’t disembark onto the Memorial itself (though I had known this in advance). Having done this previously, I was hoping that mt crew could’ve experienced such a solemn and sacred place. We circled the harbor and saw a battleship being moved and went around the Memorial.

After the boat tour of the harbor/Memorial, we walked through one of the museums then over to the Bowfin submarine. There was a separate admission for the Bowfin but I had no takers. We walked around the grounds and observed the many plaques and dedications. A walk through the gift shop and then we were gone…It was really Pearl Harbor Lite for us as there is so much more there to take in (including the Missouri battleship) but I didn’t want to press my luck and risk another potential mutiny (I KNOW my crew). I felt that they got enough history in our 2 ½ hour visit and we were headed back to Aulani for our last full afternoon.

Back at Aulani, we grabbed lunch from various spots before one last trek over to Paradise Cove beach. We spent a couple hours there just wading in the crystal clear water. It was back to Aulani pools/hottubs before getting showered for dinner.

We took the beautiful walk along the lagoon walkway to the Marriott for a casual dinner at Longboards. It was more casual than we expected and a bit of a disappointment. Food was ehh and the seating not very comfortable though it is outside in Hawaii so the complaints were very minimal. This is the one place that we probably wouldn’t return for dinner (maybe a light lunch because it would be a nice view during the day). We headed back to Aulani and took one last evening stroll around the grounds before turning in for the night for tomorrow we head to Maui!

so awesome!!!!! starting to plan our trip so thank you for sharing all your tips!!!!

Just now joining in and loving your trip report. I also wanted to ask if you felt like the premium economy on the American Airlines plane was worth it. We are thinking about taking the same flight from DFW to HNL next May and just wondered how you felt about the premium economy. We are thinking we may opt for that vs being cramped up next to a stranger for an 8 hour flight.

Thanks for the lovely trip report and information ☺️

Looks like we did a lot of similar things on our trip a few weeks ago. I look forward to reading about the rest of your trip.

My wife really debated the hike two years ago. We took our time. Its not a stroll at all but we saw people of all physical ability levels doing it. Its on the list for the next trip now....

Just now joining in and loving your trip report. I also wanted to ask if you felt like the premium economy on the American Airlines plane was worth it. We are thinking about taking the same flight from DFW to HNL next May and just wondered how you felt about the premium economy. We are thinking we may opt for that vs being cramped up next to a stranger for an 8 hour flight.

Thanks for the lovely trip report and information ☺

Thanks for following! Yes I felt that Premium Economy on the 777-200 was well worth the upgrade from regular economy...As a matter of fact we felt it was more comfortable than 1st class on the older/smaller plane (without lay-flat seats...lay-flat was AWESOME!)

Tuesday 4/16:

We had an 11:11 flight from HNL to OGG (Maui) so it was up early again (but not as early as the previous 3 days) to head to the airport. I dropped everyone at the airport and I returned the car off-site to avoid loading all my peeps and their luggage onto the shuttle bus (I find this much more efficient and less stressful for me!) We were plenty early for our short 35 minute flight to Maui. Upon arrival, I had the crew gather our baggage as I headed to the shuttle to go off-site for our jeep rental. After gathering them we headed to a strip mall and found a sandwich shop (Jersey Mike’s – very slow but good) to grab a quick bite…We were all very hungry but time was getting close as my daughter and I had a helicopter tour booked with Blue Hawaiian! The other 3 had little interest in the tour and the $300pp price tag didn’t make it any more appealing to them! We found the helicopter hangers not far from the airport and before we knew it, Alyssa and I were seated for our 1st helicopter adventure!

Our pilot was great, very informative but not talking the whole time. We got some pre-boarding pics and basic instructions and we were off! We did the West Maui/Molokai tour as we wanted to see the majestic waterfalls down the mountainsides and into the ocean…did we ever!! The pictures don’t do justice to what we saw! It was overcast and a bit stormy over Molokai so it was unfortunate that we couldn’t fly into the valley’s but it was truly amazing!

I have a ton more pics but the glare from the windows affected some of them. I also purchased the video from our flight. It was definitely a highlight for me and while Alyssa was very happy that she did it, we both felt it was a one-time MUST DO (for me the next helicopter tour would be Kauai.) Sadly, for the rest of my crew, they simply waited in the parking lot for us to return.

After landing, we headed straight for the Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas-North. I am a Westin timeshare owner and I used my Westin Kierland unit to trade into a 2 bedroom Oceanfront unit here.

(view of sunset from our room) (our room 2nd floor on right)

It was about a 45 minute ride to the resort from the airport and our excitement built around every winding corner we took as we approached the coast! The views along the way were awesome…definitely a different feel than Oahu (neither better nor worse, just different). Check in went smoothly and we headed to our room to unpack. Bec and I went to the nearby Times supermarket for water, drinks (adult and otherwise) snacks and breakfast food. The store was convenient (5-8 minutes away), reasonably priced and more than served our needs. We came back gathered the kids to check out the grounds and settled on the poolside restaurant, Pailolo Bar and Grill for a dinner of appetizers and Mai tai’s (for the adults of course)!

(view from the open-air lobby) (Cam & Caroline at dinner)

Dinner was enjoyable and just what we needed. After our day of travel we were off to bed at our new home for 5 more nights in paradise!

Hi ty so much for the trip report! We r thinking of visiting Aulani next year but concerned of the present or future construction of the Atlantis Resort in between the Disney and Marriot resorts? Did u see or hear or your opinion on how that's going to impact Aulani? It's going to be massive! Ty!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter