Aussie Disneyland Planners come on in and lets plan together :)

What sort of dress is the norm in restaurants such as the Blue Bayou, and other such places in America? While australia is super casual almost everywhere, I heard that US is a bit more formal, which will be a fun change from monotony if I could dress our son in a shirt and tie. So would be interested in hearing from aussies who have already been there.

Blue Bayou is just theme park casual. Most people go there whist they are at the park so they just go as they are. We were in shorts and tshirt or jeans and tshirt and were not out of place, that was quite normal. I think Napa Rose (at GCH) is a little more dressy, but not suit and tie dressy, well some may. Even the restaurants at Downtown Disney we went too were all still casual dress and Goofys, PCH Grill, Storytellers at the hotels. We also went to PF Changs and Cheescake Factory at Garden Walk and they were the same, just casual. Evenings may be a little dressier in the cities but not around Disneyland, just wear what you would wear to a restaurant here in Australia and you will be fine :thumbsup2

What sort of dress is the norm in restaurants such as the Blue Bayou, and other such places in America? While australia is super casual almost everywhere, I heard that US is a bit more formal, which will be a fun change from monotony if I could dress our son in a shirt and tie. So would be interested in hearing from aussies who have already been there.
Hi Hobbit. Around San Francisco, casual to smart casual is the norm. I don't think they are much different to Oz; and most of the restaurants we go to, there are lots of locals dressed anywhere from jeans to business suits. Our son lives in shorts, t-shirt and crocs when we're over there in the summer months (and long pants, t-shirt and runners in winter). We haven't been turned away yet - but we aren't frequenting the really high class establishments with him. We've done a number of 'finer' dining in San Francisco (without child) and the only "dress code" we adhere to is no jeans nor sneakers.

Disney Grand Californian Resort & spa booked for September..countdown has begun, now to sort out accommodation for other locations....!

oh and I didn't go with the dining plan but I did book 1 premium and 1 regular Character dinning ( for 2 adults & 1 kid), not exactly sure what that will give us but thought what the heck!

hey all,
just found this free LA Travel app for the iphone

http://freeappalert.com/clk/304699406

havent tried it out yet, but the descriptions sounds good. There is one for SanFran & NYC also

"California sunny weather, beaches, and hip west coast attitude make Los Angeles one of the top US tourist destinations. 'Free Los Angeles' offers over 40 listings of free or nearly free activities ranging from museums, walking tours and free performances all across the city.

Become a member of a live studio audience in one of Hollywood's famous game shows or sitcoms (such as Dr. Phil, Jeopardy, The Price is Right); visit one of the world's most famous fossil localities containing the largest and most diverse assemblage of extinct ice age plants and animals; attend a free concert performance at the Disney Concert Hall; tour the sites where Hollywood royalty got their first start in tinsel town; or visit your choice of over 16 museums and galleries that are free to the public.

For each listing you will find the phone number, address, web URL and other relevant information to help you plan the free trip or visit. With a touch, you can dial the phone number on your iPhone, open the address in Google Maps and browse given website URL in Safari.

The app lets you mark your favorite items and go through just the favorites in a separate tab. Just touch the star in the list or on the details page to add to the favorites. You can make new suggestions (please do, it is much appreciated) and report errors/updates to information. Periodic updates will include newer listings and corrections to the listings.

Free LA is a matter of providing you valuable information, not price. To understand the concept, you should think free as in free speech not as in free beer! That is why Free LA is nominally priced!

Free Los Angeles is part of a series of apps that include Free Boston, Free San Francisco, Free London, Free New York City(NYC), Free Paris, Free Rome and Free Toronto. Also coming soon: Free Hawaii.; "

I know there is a separate thread for Tokyo, but thought I would ask here.
The Tokyo parks do not seem to have the same attraction for Aussies and Kiwis as do those in the U.S.
I wondered why, as they are a few hours closer to our part of the world than the U.S. and from what I have read, have quality rides and entertainment.
Is it language difficulties, costs, unreliable weather or a combination of these?
Anyone have experience of flights to and from Japan? I' m thinking air turbulence. Read somewhere that it is frequently quite bad, but can't remember where i read it.

I know there is a separate thread for Tokyo, but thought I would ask here.
The Tokyo parks do not seem to have the same attraction for Aussies and Kiwis as do those in the U.S.
I wondered why, as they are a few hours closer to our part of the world than the U.S. and from what I have read, have quality rides and entertainment.
Is it language difficulties, costs, unreliable weather or a combination of these?
Anyone have experience of flights to and from Japan? I' m thinking air turbulence. Read somewhere that it is frequently quite bad, but can't remember where i read it.

I have looked at going to Disneyland in Tokyo, but have ended up booking WDW again. We like going to the USA for shopping so that's why we ended up choosing there. Not sure about others, but we are not apposed to going to Japan, just like to go to the US. We would go to Hong Kong too but just haven't got there yet.

Disney Grand Californian Resort & spa booked for September..countdown has begun, now to sort out accommodation for other locations....!

oh and I didn't go with the dining plan but I did book 1 premium and 1 regular Character dinning ( for 2 adults & 1 kid), not exactly sure what that will give us but thought what the heck!

Grand Californian is just fantastic, I'm sure you will love it. We spent 14 nights there in December (it was our second visit to GCH) and we just loved it.

Grand Californian is just fantastic, I'm sure you will love it. We spent 14 nights there in December (it was our second visit to GCH) and we just loved it.

thanks aussietravellers, we are looking forward to it and for our first trip there we thought we would splurge a little and stay onsite. we have just gone for the standard room, so will see how that goes, not sure if the upgrades for the view would be worth it, and the the upgrade or the concierge room seemed over the top..we have all our hotels booked except our LA one which is proving to be quite a difficult one to get good reviews on in the right locations in the right price range!

Hi everyone - Nice to meet you! I read through the bulk of the thread last week and thought I'd drop in and say hello - we're planning on travelling to CA in September 2011, my best friend lives in Orange County and we're planning about 4-5 nights at HoJo's during our 3 weeks over there.

I visited Disneyland as a 5 year old when we moved to NZ from the UK, but all I remember is being terrified on POTC and eating some french fries. :rotfl: I've also been to Tokyo Disneyland but that was about 22 years ago so is a rather distant memory too.

I didn't want to lurk without saying 'hi' - I 'm sure as time goes on I'll post on a more regular basis, but I have managed to work myself up into a Disney frenzy already!

Hi everyone - Nice to meet you! I read through the bulk of the thread last week and thought I'd drop in and say hello - we're planning on travelling to CA in September 2011, my best friend lives in Orange County and we're planning about 4-5 nights at HoJo's during our 3 weeks over there.

I visited Disneyland as a 5 year old when we moved to NZ from the UK, but all I remember is being terrified on POTC and eating some french fries. :rotfl: I've also been to Tokyo Disneyland but that was about 22 years ago so is a rather distant memory too.

I didn't want to lurk without saying 'hi' - I 'm sure as time goes on I'll post on a more regular basis, but I have managed to work myself up into a Disney frenzy already!

Welcome Glara. There is also alot more info over in the "other lands" section, "australia"

Welcome too, Glara. Look forward to hearing about your planning and hoping to catch you on the Other Lands section. princess::upsidedow

Received our tickets/confirmation/vouchers along with Lanyard and a cary satchel in the mail today from getawaytoday.com!! Son was very exited to see the Disney envelope and I gave him the pleasure of opening it while I was at work which he loved.

Anyone who has stayed at the Disney Grand Californian Resort & spa ...are the upgraded rooms worth it? we have just booked a standard, but considering an upgrade but would love to hear from others who have stayed there

Received our tickets/confirmation/vouchers along with Lanyard and a cary satchel in the mail today from getawaytoday.com!! Son was very exited to see the Disney envelope and I gave him the pleasure of opening it while I was at work which he loved.

Anyone who has stayed at the Disney Grand Californian Resort & spa ...are the upgraded rooms worth it? we have just booked a standard, but considering an upgrade but would love to hear from others who have stayed there

:banana: How Exciting! You will have such a wonderful trip.

We stayed at Grand Californian for 14 nights in December and absolutely loved it! We had a theme park view (not concierge floor) in the new wing, can highly recommend it if a view is important. The rooms are the same size its really just the view that differs. There is a thread here somewhere that has a photo of our view, I'll see if I can find it, we were right at the Mulhulland Madness ride and were so close it was amazing. We loved looking out at night too with all of the lights. If a view is important then upgrading is great, but if it isn't important, its still a great hotel, with a great location, so close to the parks and downtown disney.

This was our view from the 4th floor and its not zoomed.
DSC01403.jpg

I bought our WDW tickets yesterday and my kids were excited about just the printout for the "will call" tickets! I can only imagine if they were real tickets :).

I still haven't bought our SoCal Citypass as they don't ship to Australia. There's a good deal through Costco which will save us about US$100 but again, it's only for US citizens. It's so frustrating!!

We purchased the SoCal pass online through Disney site and picked it up from Disneyland ticket booth. However, if your first vist is going to be somewhere else check their website. When we booked there was bonuses available from the first pickup point, ie if you booked through Universal you got a second day free. We didn't end up using our San Diego zoo pass but used all the others.

We purchased the SoCal pass online through Disney site and picked it up from Disneyland ticket booth. However, if your first vist is going to be somewhere else check their website. When we booked there was bonuses available from the first pickup point, ie if you booked through Universal you got a second day free. We didn't end up using our San Diego zoo pass but used all the others.

Thanks for the tip! I had bought them through Expedia but when I read the fineprint it said we had to use them at Disneyland first, but we are going to DL last so I had to cancel and have them refunded. I've been trying to figure out a way to pre-pay them and have them sent here. I've just checked the Universal website which will be our first stop, and if I buy through there I can print the tickets, we get a 2nd day free (which we won't have time to use anyway) and priority seating on the studio tour :). I'm still trying to figure out a way to get them through Costco to save some money, but if I can't then I'll buy them through Universal :).

Thanks for the tip! I had bought them through Expedia but when I read the fineprint it said we had to use them at Disneyland first, but we are going to DL last so I had to cancel and have them refunded. I've been trying to figure out a way to pre-pay them and have them sent here. I've just checked the Universal website which will be our first stop, and if I buy through there I can print the tickets, we get a 2nd day free (which we won't have time to use anyway) and priority seating on the studio tour :). I'm still trying to figure out a way to get them through Costco to save some money, but if I can't then I'll buy them through Universal :).

Do you know anyone in the US that is a Costco member? They can go on-line and order them for you and then send them on. It is a $30 saving for an adult ticket...

You don't need to go to DL as the first stop. The fineprint states this but when we got there, we found that this wasn't enforced. We went to Universal on the first day and then DL on the second day. But, we were staying in Anaheim and went to the DL ticket booth the night before and converted the DL voucher to DL tickets. Once converted, the tickets don't activate until you walk in through the front gates. So it doesn't matter what order you do them in.

When we went to Universal, we talked to a few people that said that they started at Universal and hadn't been to DL yet with their City Pass. And you already know that Universal were selling the CityPass at their ticket booths as well.

I have an aunt in the US but she's not a Costco member. I think I might just get them through Universal. I like the print at home option.

It was just Expedia's conditions that the passes had to be exchanged at DL. I contacted SoCal pass customer service and they said that wasn't their condition so it must be some deal between expedia and DL.

I have an aunt in the US but she's not a Costco member. I think I might just get them through Universal. I like the print at home option.

It was just Expedia's conditions that the passes had to be exchanged at DL. I contacted SoCal pass customer service and they said that wasn't their condition so it must be some deal between expedia and DL.

From memory, the same clause is also present in the Costco SoCal tickets (my aunt is a CostCo member)...but it didn't cause a problem at either DL or Universal.

But the Universal option will be just as good.

And in case you were wondering, Cleaver Brothers couldn't offer me a discount on the SoCal ticket (and I was inquiring for 6 adults and 3 kids)...they sold them at the RRP. They offered me a deal for the SoCal passes AND LegoLand tickets. For 6 A and 3K, they discounted the LL tickets by 50%; which made the pricing the same as buying CostCo SoCal and LL at gate prices.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter