Autism and mobility issues (different members of party)

Kaitlyn L

Earning My Ears
Hello! I am helping my grandfather plan their first trip. My Grandparents adopted several special needs boys when my Dad/his siblings moved out, and while the boys are now grown (all 20+) they are concerned about several possible problems. My Uncle who is severely autistic is prone to over-stimulation, and did not have a good fur character experience (non-disney), and my Grandmother has gout and arthritis, and is concerned about mobility issues, and waiting in lines. I've read some things about DAS passes for those not able to wait in line, however, I have also read that these guidelines may have recently changed for obtaining these passes. Where could I find the most updated guidelines for these? Also, with the mobility issues, I have read about several rental scooters, but I am confused whether these are through Disney or a third party (and if it is through a third party how close do they drop them off?) Another other advice would also be appreciated haha! Thank you for your time!

DAS passes are not for mobility issues, as mobility aids are available. Most of the queues are fully accessible (some are not and may require an alternate entrance). The DAS passes are for persons who have needs that preclude their waiting in standard queues.

They'll be given a return time to come back to the attraction, at which point they will enter the fastpass line. DAS works only with attractions that have a fast pass line. It does not alleviate waiting altogether (there are no "front of the line" passes anymore), but it does provide for the person to wait somewhere other than the attraction queue for most of the waiting time.

There's a sticky thread above with all the info about the DAS.

Disney rents scooters at the parks, but they can also be rented via third party services. They will bring them to parks or resorts. If you don't have a personal one and need one at resorts and not just at parks, it may be best to rent one from a third party.

You may have to arrange yourself to keep your uncle away from the "big head" characters, although he may be OK with "face characters" (the human ones that can talk to you).

fur characters are easy to avoid, they are always on designated areas and they aren’t prone to “mingle” whe walking to and from their spot. Your ASD uncle will definitely qualify for DAS. My son is on the spectrum and we always get it. Your mother mobility alone won’t get here a DAS, but she won’t need one, your uncle DAS will cover up to 6 people riding with him, anyone in the party can go to the attraction and ask for a returning time, but to ride they will scan your uncle first and the the rest of the party.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter