Autism at Discovery Cove

AJKMOM

DIS Veteran
I am thinking of taking my autistic 35 year old son to Discovery Cove. Any experiences with sensory issues, say if he won't use the snorkel? He loves to swim and has swam with dolphins in Key Largo when he was six, so I think that would be fine.

I am thinking of taking my autistic 35 year old son to Discovery Cove. Any experiences with sensory issues, say if he won't use the snorkel? He loves to swim and has swam with dolphins in Key Largo when he was six, so I think that would be fine.
Has he ever used a snorkel? We spent a couple days practicing with one in a pool so he got used to it. It really makes a big difference for him to see the fish. They also make full face snorkels so he doesn't have to put it in his mouth. My son has used those as well. We take our own so his snorkel closes if he goes underwater, theirs do not.

1702256987806.png

The "resort pool" is warm water with waterfall and attached to the lazy river. It is deep and fast but they do have life jackets which really helped so DS (who is a good swimmer) from getting so tired. There is the bird aviary you can walk in or access from lazy river where he can feed the birds. There is an area where water is very shallow and you can see animals through glass and fun to sit in the water chairs with a drink, there is a refreshment station right there.

You don't need snorkel or goggles in the big Grand Reef where all the fish or stingrays are but it does make it much better. We wear the life vests there so we can just float. I HIGHLY suggest water shoes, it has lots of sharper stuff in there. Water there is cooler.

We get there very early to eat breakfast, watch the flamingos walk the beach, find a good chair and start our day. It gives us lots of rest time to get snacks. My son loves it there, very relaxing, not stressful or anxiety inducing from sensory issues.

My son did great with dolphin swim although we've only done that once. We are content with a resort day and have done that about 6 times. Beautiful peaceful day!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter