Autism Self-injurious behavior

I hope things go well! I have a 26 year old with Downs and Autism, no communication speech (but has some words).

I will remember your life's journey when I throw myself an internal pity party in my own mind (DS cannot be left alone so we are not "free" as we should be as parents of adult 'kids") ......... I have it a little tough but wow you have it tougher.

My son is fixated on Disney 24/7, talks about it in his limited way constantly, and figured out how to watch Youtube park videos on his iPad, in his free time.

NOTE: I was a paramedic BEFORE there were such people, so I like to err on the side of precaution. (The paramedic title was not created until 1969, and I was one when Moby Dick was still a minnow.)

Wow, you've had such an interesting life with so many careers! You should write a book.

I admit that I've never seen behaviour to the point where I'd be calling 911. I'm more of "give wide breadth and don't create an audience" kind of person (which sometimes makes me think I'm not compassionate enough and that I should be offering to help, but mainly I figure that any offer would be more harm than good).

That wheelchair idea is a good one.

I have heard that medical Marijuana has been successful for SIB in some cases.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that he has a wonderful trip and that you do too. <3 <3 <3

[QUOTE="Treysar, post: 56190666, member: 564680]

I have heard that medical Marijuana has been successful for SIB in some cases.. <3 <3 <3[/QUOTE]

Last time I checked marijuana was still illegal in Florida

That wheelchair idea is a good one.

I have heard that medical Marijuana has been successful for SIB in some cases.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that he has a wonderful trip and that you do too. <3 <3 <3

Doesn't help anyone in a state where it's still illegal though - including Florida. OP's flying. I'd hate to get caught with pot in an airport!

[QUOTE="Treysar, post: 56190666, member: 564680]

I have heard that medical Marijuana has been successful for SIB in some cases.. <3 <3 <3

Last time I checked marijuana was still illegal in Florida[/QUOTE]

It can be dispensed for medical purposes.

Oh, maybe it isn't legal yet in FL! I just figured it was- I live in a state where it is legal. Sorry about that. OP, not sure where you live. It has been wonderfully helpful for a friend of mine who has a child on the spectrum, as well as a friend who has a child wit ha seizure disorder. Definitely something to consider if you are ethically ok with it and it is legal where you live.

Oh, maybe it isn't legal yet in FL! I just figured it was- I live in a state where it is legal. Sorry about that. OP, not sure where you live. It has been wonderfully helpful for a friend of mine who has a child on the spectrum, as well as a friend who has a child wit ha seizure disorder. Definitely something to consider if you are ethically ok with it and it is legal where you live.

Yeah, still illegal in FL. But even if it was legal in OP's state or FL, it's federally against the law to fly with marijuana even if it's medically prescribed.

It stinks if it helps, since you have to essentially find a new therapy method for a week's vacation for kids like you mentioned.

I live in FL and I think I heard some talk recently about letting it for medical resion but I do not think it is yet just talk

Yeah, still illegal in FL. But even if it was legal in OP's state or FL, it's federally against the law to fly with marijuana even if it's medically prescribed.

It stinks if it helps, since you have to essentially find a new therapy method for a week's vacation for kids like you mentioned.

That is so awful, especially for kids like mine. Changes in basic schedule are so hard to handle, I can't even imagine a change in medicine!

Wow, you've had such an interesting life with so many careers! You should write a book.

1) Sometimes, one just "falls" into situations and/or jobs, without planning.
2) People call it different things
. . . Kismet
. . . Accident
. . . Luck
3) I just call it "Interesting Life".

I would expect a violent situation to be removed from view of the public, for the sake of all - I said nothing about a physical deformity? I physical deformity is not a violent situation.

Why is a mental disability treated different than a physical one. Would you expect someone having a grand mal seizure to be removed from the public eye? And how exactly would that happen? A circle of CMs surrounding the individual? Bed sheets?

I think the PP said it best "give wide breadth and don't create an audience". An autistic individual having a self injurious behavior outburst will be difficult to remove from the public eye. How about the public removing themselves from the situation, unless we want children hauled off in handcuffs now.

Please remember this thread is about self injurious behaviors not violence towards others. I keep hoping for human kindness and understanding but I keep getting disappointed.

This will not help for your trip but I thought I would reply anyway. My DD was a therapist for kids with autism. One of her "kiddos" had SIB's. They were able to get a therapy dog for him. The dog was trained to sense when an episode was coming on and she would start licking and "snuggling" with the boy. It was very effective, and prevented a majority of the meltdowns.

Do you and DH together have the physical ability to catch and restrain DS before he injures himself significantly?

I do not see any need to end your vacation early if you can restrain him whenever and wherever he has an episode and he finally does calm down while being so restrained. Then resume your planned activities whose time slots had not come and gone in the meantime.

It's a matter of taking off your park guest hat and putting on your caregiver's hat. I admit you will need to plan a longer or additional vacation to get more time to yourself.

There would also be no need for you to call 911 provided you can keep the situation under control yourself. Now, if you know you cannot control DS consistently and therefore will occasionally or frequently need other assistance such as from EMTs then you should equate the situation to one where you brought extra persons as additional caregivers.

Why is a mental disability treated different than a physical one. Would you expect someone having a grand mal seizure to be removed from the public eye? And how exactly would that happen? A circle of CMs surrounding the individual? Bed sheets?

I think the PP said it best "give wide breadth and don't create an audience". An autistic individual having a self injurious behavior outburst will be difficult to remove from the public eye. How about the public removing themselves from the situation, unless we want children hauled off in handcuffs now.

Please remember this thread is about self injurious behaviors not violence towards others. I keep hoping for human kindness and understanding but I keep getting disappointed.

Eh, I think you're reaching a little here. I don't think there's a need to take offense to what what said.

SIB in adult aged autistic people can often end up injuring others just caught in the fray of it. I think that's where the previous poster was going, not that they expect differently able people to be removed from the public. I think looking at the realities of a situation is healthy and anticipating possibilities will help people know what to expect. OP didn't say what the SIB is. My daughters SIB wouldn't affect anyone else, but someone on a bus that's punching themselves or flailing their arms could unintentionally harm other people. And while the OP didn't mention specifics, there have been many discussions on this board and others where SIB can/has injured others. It's not cruel to or unkind to bring it up. I think people truly do have empathy and understanding, but only to a point, and I don't find that unfair. NOT acknowledging and considering the possibilities could be the reason that our kids end up in handcuffs, unfortunately.

Comparing this stuff to a physical deformity though is kind of counterproductive and it really doesn't get your point across.

Actually, as the wife of an epileptic, that's the second thing we do. We protect his head and then we do whatever we can to keep the public away from him and ideally, shield him from their view. It's safer for him and others, easier for medical personnel and a lot less traumatic for little kids around him. We're not going to stop going out in public, but when we have an incident we try to create whatever privacy we can.

I don't know with SIB but since you mentioned mal seizures I just wanted to chime in. If a person is having a medical emergency yes CMs will indeed make a "wall" while another CM is on the phone or while EMT is in route. If a seizure last long enough for that or say someone is doing CPR on an individual then a wall is usually formed to keep the area clear and to give the patient privacy. Would you want gawkers possibly watching your last breaths on Main Street? When it is needed it is done for the privacy of the other guest as well as letting those not directly involved continue with their vacation. It has nothing to do with being disrespectful of the individual having the medical emergency. These usually only are needed when a patient is not stable to transfer so EMTs need to work on them where they lay.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!