Autism Self-injurious behavior

I love the social stories, those can be really helpful.
I guess it is hugely harder with an older person (my ASDer is only 9) but, would a weighted blanket help? I know some people like the pressure (DS used to calm his SIB really quickly, in a tight bear hug) and if you go with the wheelchair option (which adds space and a safe place to be) then the weighted blanket might be useful?
I bet you've researched already, but, I thought, maybe, worth a thought, can always ignore if it isn't useful.
I hope you guys have a wonderful trip.
Oh, and, do you have a badge? We have something along the lines of "Not naughty, or rude, just autistic, what's your excuse?" which does deter the starers a little. I don't know if they make a slightly more grown up equivalent?

My son is much younger (11), but used to have those kinds of outbursts (as well as other types of outbursts) occasionally. We have successfully used biomedical as well as therapeutic interventions with him to help raise his level of functioning over the years.

GABA is a calming supplement recommended by our pediatric neurologist that is dissolved under the tongue. My son takes it twice a day. No side effects. You can get it over the counter.

The doctor has also recommended that our son stay on a gluten-free diet, as we pilot tested him on it, and his behavior would worsen whenever we'd try taking him off the diet. I know (believe me, after years with this, I know) that special diets can be a pain to implement, but the gluten-free diet has really helped our son.

Vayarin is a prescription-purity and strength omega, that helps reduce add/adhd symptoms (which can include aggression). Our pediatric neurologist prescribes this for our son. No side effects. You'll need a prescription for this.

You mention your use of sensory strategies. Have you tried daily brushing, as demonstrated by an occupational therapist?

Also, our son's occupational therapist used to have our son listen to specifically-chosen "therapeutic listening" cds, which takes 15-30 minutes twice a day with special headphones. Apparently they work on some sensory integration issues. These also seemed to help. You can only buy or rent these cd's with therapist approval, due to their therapeutic component.

We never tried biofeedback therapy, so I can't vouch for it, but I've heard that it can help some people. Maybe give that a try if all else fails?

May God bless you and your son. I know it can be hard. I had to withdraw my son from a school once due to behavior issues, but he's since moved past having behavior issues at school. Improvement is possible if you keep trying. Stay strong.
:grouphug:
It won't let me message you @Shanti - how much GABA dosage did your doctor recommend, and any particular brand? If possible, please PM me! Thanks!

Do they make the GABA in a gummy? My son does much better taking those. He can take a pill if it's small, but if it has too strong a taste, he will balk at it. Strangely enough, he takes most gummies no matter the flavor. Go figure...

We take an adult gummy vitamin with a large amount of DHA. Is DHA the same thing as GABA?

Do they make the GABA in a gummy? My son does much better taking those...We take an adult gummy vitamin with a large amount of DHA. Is DHA the same thing as GABA?
No, DHA and GABA are two different things. GABA absorbs best when administered sublingually (under the tongue). If you can get your son to keep a sublingual tablet under his tongue until it dissolves, that will bypass any issues about flavor or swallowing. You'll have to shop specifically for the sublingual GABA- don't buy the regular capsules. I have never seen GABA in gummy form, and doubt that would metabolize well, in any case.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!