Autistic Child

Our son has autism and he has MAJOR TEMPER tantrums. When we have to wait for long periods of time, it becomes EXREME. I know all children have this problem, but he becomes anxious (almost like an anxiety attack). I described the problem on the phone & they asked if I wanted our file noted and I said no. Now, I am rethinking that. I didn't realize there was such a thing available. I thought since he wasn't in a wheelchair, that they wouldn't do anything for us. Loud noises are a problem, and you never know what will scare him and what won't.

We are going in Jan. which should be less busy, but any tips would be appreciated.

Hi Have2getaway! You shouldn't have a problem with crowds in January. As insurance, get the GAC. This way, if your ds is having one of those days (I know all about that, my ds is autistic), then the GAC will be available for you. But you will probably find that you won't use it much in January. Here are some tips that really help us. We get to the park at opening (actually 30 minutes before opening). Then we make sure to head straight for the most popular rides. We use fast pass as much as possible too. And be sure to return to your hotel for a break! You are doing the right thing by going in a slower time of the year. It will make things a lot easier. Have a great time! :flower:
Edited to add about loud noises. Be sure to avoid fireworks shows, like Fantasmic. They are very loud! If your ds is sensitive to sound, maybe try ear plugs. My ds won't wear them, so this might be a problem for your ds too. Also, if he gets too over stimulated at the parks, sometimes they will enjoy a boat ride or monorail ride to relax. There's a boat that goes to Ft. Wilderness, and there's plenty to see at that resort.

Nik's Mom said:
Hi Have2getaway! You shouldn't have a problem with crowds in January. As insurance, get the GAC. This way, if your ds is having one of those days (I know all about that, my ds is autistic), then the GAC will be available for you. But you will probably find that you won't use it much in January.
::yes::

have2getaway said:
Our son has autism and he has MAJOR TEMPER tantrums. When we have to wait for long periods of time, it becomes EXREME. I know all children have this problem, but he becomes anxious (almost like an anxiety attack). I described the problem on the phone & they asked if I wanted our file noted and I said no. Now, I am rethinking that. I didn't realize there was such a thing available. I thought since he wasn't in a wheelchair, that they wouldn't do anything for us. Loud noises are a problem, and you never know what will scare him and what won't.

We are going in Jan. which should be less busy, but any tips would be appreciated.

In January, you should be pretty ok with wait times. BUT... disclaimer here...the GAC is good to havae in case you need it, but it is NOT a way to limit wait times. It can, in fact, increase the wait time sometimes. Just wanted to make sure everyone knows that.

Don't underestimate the power of Fastpass! Always have one for SOMETHING! and as soon as the window opens up to get another one, do that! One piece of advice that lots have given here, is if your son is small enough (8-yr old size or so) rent a stroller at the park. They are HUGE, and give the child a hidey place when too much stimulation, especially in lines, gets to them.

Beth

Thanks for the tips and advice. Our son will be nearly 4, but he is quite big for his age. He is nearly 42 inches and 44 lbs. He can barely fit in an umbrella stroller. Will the strollers at the park be large enough? Also, do they ever run out? I think the stroller idea is excellent. He is extremely active and hard to settle so I can see how the stroller might be helpful.

Regarding the fast pass, are you able to get an unlimited amount? For some reason I thought the number you were allowed per park was limited. I am HOPING that our son will be ok, but I thought it would be handy to have the GAC & as many FP just in case. Shortly before my son was diagnosed, I took him to an amuzement park and it was a comlete nightmare. He kept repeating "have to wait your turn" over and over. Several times he ran out of the line. We ended up not going on several rides because there was just no one to settle him. I just don't want a repeat at Disney.

have2getaway said:
Thanks for the tips and advice. Our son will be nearly 4, but he is quite big for his age. He is nearly 42 inches and 44 lbs. He can barely fit in an umbrella stroller. Will the strollers at the park be large enough? Also, do they ever run out? I think the stroller idea is excellent. He is extremely active and hard to settle so I can see how the stroller might be helpful.
The WDW strollers will fit up to a small 12 yr old. Another advantage to them is that they are a firm (not hard) plastic. A lot of children with autism like the firm pressure from sitting on those strollers and also like the high, solid sides - they just sort of form a real nice "safe haven." Here's a site that has info about the strollers:
http://allearsnet.com/pl/strol_faq.htm

Regarding the fast pass, are you able to get an unlimited amount? For some reason I thought the number you were allowed per park was limited. I am HOPING that our son will be ok, but I thought it would be handy to have the GAC & as many FP just in case. Shortly before my son was diagnosed, I took him to an amuzement park and it was a comlete nightmare. He kept repeating "have to wait your turn" over and over. Several times he ran out of the line. We ended up not going on several rides because there was just no one to settle him. I just don't want a repeat at Disney.
Here's a
link to information about how Fastpass works. One thing to keep in mind is that you can send someone else in your party to pick up fastpasses for your whole party. All they need is everyone's park tickets. That way, you son doesn't need to get to the attraction until it's time to get on.
With Fastpass, your wait will usually 10-15 minutes or less (often less). That is the most predicatable way to go. The GAC is not intended to shorten or eliminate your wait in line, and you are never quite sure how they will handle it, evven on the same attraction. What they do exactly depends on how busy the attraction is, how many other people with special needs there are and the staffing.

coruth4 said:
I am going to Disney for the first time with my three kids in July. :flower: My middle son is borderline high functioning autistic and my daughter has a yet undiagnosed metobolic disorder. Any suggestions from anyone else who has gone with children with similar disorders?
I am not concerned - but looking for some handy tips that will make the experience even better for my kids (all three)!
Thanks!

Take your kids and have a ball, I have an 8 year old high function autism, we first took him when he was five, he was very hyper at the time, didn't have a big vocabulary, tantrumed alot, got very upset easy, did not understand patience, I really didn't know what to expect, I read and read on these boards and allears.net, I packed as much info in as I could. I took all advice here including getting the GAC which if you are going in July you will need, we decided to go in Oct., when the weather was cooler, and less crowded just to decrease meltdowns. I made sure that I was educated on all things disney so that I would know what to expect when we got there, don't go to disney without a plan your total trip will be miserable. Our first trip was wonderful, we didn't have to to use the GAC all the time, our son was so thrilled by all things there that he was truly a different child, he came back home with so many new words. The crowds and loud noises did not even bother him, as some loud noises he will cover his ears. Also our first year we did rent a stroller because he would get tired of walking and to keep him from getting ill and frustrated we had the stroller there and he would climb in when he would get tired. The only problem we had was when it came lunch time, he didn't want to wait in line or at the table and then he didn't want to eat, but I am use to that, he only snacks most of the day anyway due to his adhd medication, he don't really start eating till around 4, but as for me that place makes me hungry all the time. Hope you have a wonderful and magical time. :flower3:

You have been given some wonderful information here ;) I can not believe how friendly this board is compaired to others I have been too. I wanted to add one thing. I noticed a lot of you have suggested ear plugs for those children that are sensitive to loud sounds and I realized very early on my kids would not wear them so we came up with our own solution that works very well. I am not too sure what they are called so I will try to explain what it is best I can. I went to a sporting goods store and they have what look like ear muffs for people that shoot loud guns in the shooting section. They are a bit pricey but were a life saver when the kids were younger. the sort of look like a head set for music. They fit very comfortabley and help reduce the noise on the high volume attractions like 3D shows and fireworks. I am not sure if anyone has used these or suggested these here but I thought I would throw it out there.
coruth4 you will have a great time with your kids it sounds like you are doing all the right things!!!!
JenJen

PLAN PLAN PLAN
Our DS 8 is autistic (high function) .Our last trip in 2004 he watched the WDW planning DVD about 200 times. He visited the WDW web site many times and planned what things he wanted to see. He didn't like any of the 3-D shows. We didn't get the GAC because he is not bad in the waiting department. Thank God for the person who invented gameboy :rotfl2: He in sensitive to noises and became aprehensive about some shows. If he became stressed I would get him to listen to music on his discman. By the end of our trip he would only listen to music for awhile and then watch the show. I was really proud of him for learning this good coping mechanism :goodvibes

JenJen said:
I am not too sure what they are called so I will try to explain what it is best I can. I went to a sporting goods store and they have what look like ear muffs for people that shoot loud guns in the shooting section. They are a bit pricey but were a life saver when the kids were younger. the sort of look like a head set for music. They fit very comfortabley and help reduce the noise on the high volume attractions like 3D shows and fireworks. I am not sure if anyone has used these or suggested these here but I thought I would throw it out there.
coruth4 you will have a great time with your kids it sounds like you are doing all the right things!!!!
JenJen
I'm glad you found our site helpful and friendly.
You did a good job of explaining.
If you go to yahoo.com , the shopping part and enter ear protection you will come up with a lot of choices that I think are similar to what you are talking about. Hopefully,
this link to yahoo shopping will work.

Cheshire Figment said:
As you said, you got this from an unofficial guide. That information is totally wrong!

I will not attempt to cover that here, but suggest you read several of the threads in this forum concerning autism and GACs; they should be able to answer most of your questions.

Hi, I hope you will be able to help me. My daughter is 6 1/2 has aspergers, OCD, adhd and has an allergy to color dye. I noticed that you said you won't attempt to cover the help your son received with the GAC because of people abusing the system, but I really can use your advice.

We are going to Disney on the 21st of AUgust to All Star Movies. Jenn Can't deal with alot of noise, alot of waiting, or stimulation. She will literally spin and spin and spin, eat her hands and her clothes. As of now, she is petrified of costumed characters, with the only exception of Dora the Explorer, With knowing that, what kind of help can I ask for.

I have been told I can make the chef aware of her dye allergies.
Thankyhou!

HI ! First of all - relax - Disney is nothing like thetypical amusement park up here. I am in Ma. and have been to Six Flags, Water Country, Canobie Lake Park etc, with not so great results. We have four children - our oldest is autistic, he is 11. We found Disney to be incredibly helpful with any issue we had. The GAC was literally a life saver! We never would have made it to half the things we did without it. You just need to explain your child's trouble when you first enter MK. Go right to City Hall, get a GAC- Hold onto that thing like gold!! Most rides you will be entering the fast pass line, some you will be going in the exit.

I was so worried about our trip before we went - now I can not wait to go back!

I picked up headphones (like the hunting ones) at Walmart for less than $10. I also picked up these neat little battery operated glo sticks in the camping dept there as well. Less annoying for others than flashlights, but a great comfort for little ones afraid of the dark - and some rides are VERY dark!

One night we ended up near the carousel and Small World for the fireworks ( not planned) what a big mistake. Not only were the fireworks tremendously loud - but you could actually feel the boom in your chest. two of my children were beside themselves. The Wishes cruise however was perfect and fantastic! You are really in your own little world!
I will say the biggest problem was one I had NOT anticipated- food. I do not know how your son is, but mine is extremely picky/limited - and can I say - Disney has HORRIBLE pizza! Spaghetti is very hard to find even! If your son does not like chicken nuggets - be prepared to bring alot of his favorites yourself. Do NOT go to Cosmic RAY'S in MK. There are 3 separate lines for food. One for chicken, one for burgers, onefor salds/rollups. We were there for nearly 2 hours! If you will have anyone helping you, I would seriously suggest leaving the kids with him /her in the morning and going to scope out what you feel will be the best way to tackle the park. Look at the different restaurants to see which you think will be best for everyone. I would also try to do at least one sit down meal a day, to be sure everyone is getting the food they need.My poor ds was so hungry a few times we had some meltdowns. Not that we were not stopping to eat - just that he liked NOTHING at most restaurants we went to.
Also - have you considered flying? We were going to drive on our last trip #1 - because I am petrified of flying, and was not sure how my kids would react either/ We ended up flying for a number of reasons and I was soooo happy we did! You could probably fly for the same as it will cost you to drive. We flew to Tampa because it saved enough to practically cover the car rental.
I would also suggest if it is in your budget and your guys like water slides - try the NICK HOTEL. We stayed there one night and it blew us away! Everyone loved it! What a great place!! PM ME if ytou like! I really researched the heck out of Disney (thanks to the disboards) and our trip is quite fresh in my memory!

My DS is very picky eater too, so what we did was pack one bag with all his favorites and it was easier to do a load of laundry and try to get him to eat. Plus we made a grocery stop and picked up juice and water. This made it so much easier and it was really helpful to have his things in the room, DD liked it too! I use those zip lock bags and just filled them in the morning and we headed out!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter