Autistic son outgrowing stroller - any ideas?

Hi, I have twins and one of them has autism. they are 6 years old and we are going to Disney World and I am looking for a stroller that will fit both of them, but my one child is about 80 pounds, so we need one that could hold at least 130 pounds. We are looking for something thatHe can "cocoon" himself in if he gets over stimulated at Disney World or the airport and also just so they have a place to rest since it will be alot fo walking at both places. Thanks :)

I'm not familiar with the larger strollers, but I'd repost this in a new thread. Your question may get lost when people open this and see it's from 2009.

Thanks for posting the picture of the Liberty Chair. That helps me a lot for our upcoming trip in May. My son just turned 9. He is on the smaller side
and last year I could still fit him in a Mini GT from Orlando Stroller rental but this year I think we have to get the Liberty. I have a Special Tomato stroller at home. Its huge, its terrible to steer and its very hard to unfold. The reason we are not bringing his wheelchair is simply because its really tough and uncomfortable to be in the wheelchair all day at Disney with no cover for shade or the possibility of laying back. If you get a stroller ask the parks for a special needs pass. I had an issue once while attending a show to get the stroller into the theater to one of the wheelchair spaces. A gentleman who was nicely able to walk complained about our stroller taking one of the spaces.

I just want to point out this thread was started in 2009. I will leave it open for now since the info may be helpful to other posters.

And let's remember not to judge others as we may not be able to "see" their disabilities.

Enjoy your vacation!

We used a Mcclaren Major, until my son outgrew it. Then used a companion chair for a few years, but we did not like it as much, because it sits at a 90 degree angle, the footrests detached, it was a pain when we travelled. And, my son tends to hunch forward, we like the angled chairs that are like big strollers for him. We got a used Convaid 18" Scout on Ebay, used it for years, but it is 48 pounds, I am getting older, hard to lift it. We just got a new Convaid Metro 18", it is 30 pounds I think! Yay!

PS I posted here years ago, about my son outgrowing the McClaren, and someone here on DIS bought it from me, who lived locally. Worked out well, I was not really thinking of selling it, but once approached I decided why not.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!