Autograph Books

CouponGirl

DIS Veteran
For those of you with kids that like to get autograph books signed, at what age did they begin to enjoy doing that versus just getting a picture with the character?

Our kids were big into autographs from age 3/4 until around age 10. Then it was all about the pictures with the characters and still is and they are 12 & 15.

My ODD was 4 (almost 5) when she first was into autographs. 7 now and still into it.

Our kids were big into autographs from age 3/4 until around age 10. Then it was all about the pictures with the characters and still is and they are 12 & 15.

My ODD was 4 (almost 5) when she first was into autographs. 7 now and still into it.

Thanks for the responses! We will have an almost 3 year old going and wasn't sure if maybe I was getting carried away and should wait a couple of years :)

Thanks for the responses! We will have an almost 3 year old going and wasn't sure if maybe I was getting carried away and should wait a couple of years :)
What did you decide? We'll be going with a 3 yo and am wondering if we should get her one.

To the OP... have you been there before? My YDD was terrified of the characters when she was 3.

What did you decide? We'll be going with a 3 yo and am wondering if we should get her one.
I am leaning towards waiting to introduce it on a future trip. This will be a first trip, so everything will be new and it won't be missed (and will be one less thing for me to keep up with :rotfl2:). If he notices other children with them and seems intrigued then I will buy one there. From what I can tell, they are pretty much the same price whether I get it before or get it there.

To the OP... have you been there before? My YDD was terrified of the characters when she was 3.
No, this will be a first trip. I am hoping to go somewhere local first to see how he reacts in case we discover we need to avoid them altogether! Any tips if it turns out he's terrified?

We did it at Disneyland with our 2 (almost 3) year old. I actually think it worked to our advantage because it gave her a little job (holding on to the book then handing it to character or handler) to distract from being scared. Now, a year later, she loves to look through and identify whose signature is whose.

That said, she was a little scared of Goofy, Pluto, Olaf, Mickey, Minnie at that age.... and did a LOT better with the human characters. Oddly, though they were still in suits, Doc McStuffins and Sofia were fine.

No, this will be a first trip. I am hoping to go somewhere local first to see how he reacts in case we discover we need to avoid them altogether! Any tips if it turns out he's terrified?

Honestly, I don't really make a big deal about it. My ODD loves meeting the characters and I'll stay back with YDD if she is afraid and watch her sister. Ill say "See Mickey is giving her a hug" "Isn't Donald being silly?" etc. DH gets annoyed if its at a meal that we've paid too much $ for, but what can you do. She hid under the table for our entire breakfast at Chef Mickey's last year.
Disney is supposed to be fun and I'm not going to force her to do something if she's that scared.
We go every year, so we'll try again next time.

We took my daughter on her first trip last year at 18 months and didn’t do autographs. We just got back from her second trip yesterday, she is 2 1/2 and we tried autographs. I didn’t buy a book but instead I printed out some autograph pages from Pinterest of that characters I thought we would see. I had a small photo album and some scrapbook stuff so now I plan on putting the autograph page on one side and a picture of her on the second side. We didn’t have a lot of luck with her and characters though. We did chef mickeys and garden grill but she was scared in both places. She loved seeing them when they were far away but when they got up close she got scared. The only one she liked and actually talked to was Ariel.

My sister and I started our autograph books when we had just turned 3. Our Mom and Dad went up with us to the characters. One of them helped us with the books, and one took a picture of us getting the autograph. Then, once she had the photos developed, Mom glued the matching picture on the page opposite the autograph. You know, we still prize those autograph books!

We did it at Disneyland with our 2 (almost 3) year old. I actually think it worked to our advantage because it gave her a little job (holding on to the book then handing it to character or handler) to distract from being scared. Now, a year later, she loves to look through and identify whose signature is whose.

That said, she was a little scared of Goofy, Pluto, Olaf, Mickey, Minnie at that age.... and did a LOT better with the human characters. Oddly, though they were still in suits, Doc McStuffins and Sofia were fine.
I hadn't considered it from that perspective! Thanks for the insight!

My DD loved doing it last year (she was almost 3). She only liked the princesses and face characters. She was scared of Mickey and the other pals. She is extremely shy, so having that autography book as a conversation starter, helped a lot. Also, to this day she still flips through that book and talks about meeting all the princesses and what they talked about. We are going again next week (she is almost 4 now), we handmade an autography book together, and she can't wait to get their autographs again. I don't carry it around either, we just keep it in the stroller basket.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter