Automated photo boxes at character meet and greets. Can we get this topic raised on the dis show?

sorcerermickey2.0

Earning My Ears
Forgive me if this is not the right place to bring this up.

I am just home from our 2nd trip to Disney world, The highlight for me and my wife is the amazing character interactions! Over the year in between visits we would often look back at some of the amazing pictures of the meet and greets we had in particular with Cinderella & Mickey, both of which take pride of place on our living room wall. These pictures mean so much more than just a standard 'lets pose for photo' but capture the unbridled joy during a warm hug and tears of happiness. These special moments help us remember these memories.

I had heard about the addition of the new computer boxes and was very sad to hear that Disney would even consider replacing the wonderful skilled photographers. If they need to money pinch than perhaps it would be better removing some of the people around the park or umpteen photographers on main street. However I did want to hold of judgement until we experienced them at first hand. We met Mickey and Minnie and Tinkerbelle, the posed photo came out at best okay, although it felt weird being told to stare at the wall... and not having a person to look at or guide the meet and greet. The remaining photos were all very poorly timed.

I cannot for the life of me know why Disney would go down this route as it just doesn't make sense and from reading here and online these boxes loose the magic. Many on here I am sure will be the same and have a special picture of a trip where they or their children have met their favourite character, this cannot be replaced by a bot.

I had complained to guest relations on our trip about this and did show them our photos, but I feel this seems to be falling on deaf ears as in the last couple days they have been added to the Anna and Elsa, Princess locations at fairy-tale hall. I doubt the dis team will see this post but is their a way we can look to have this issue raised on the show as I know it is a huge concern and something everyone is not happy about.

Last edited:
Forgive me if this is not the right place to bring this up.

I am just home from our 2nd trip to Disney world, The highlight for me and my wife is the amazing character interactions! Over the year in between visits we would often look back at some of the amazing pictures of the meet and greets we had in particular with Cinderella & Mickey, both of which take pride of place on our living room wall. These pictures mean so much more than just a standard 'lets pose for photo' but capture the unbridled joy during a warm hug and tears of happiness. These special moments help us remember these memories.

I had heard about the addition of the new computer boxes and was very sad to hear that Disney would even consider replacing the wonderful skilled photographers. If they need to money pinch than perhaps it would be better removing some of the people around the park or umpteen photographers on main street. However I did want to hold of judgement until we experienced them at first hand. We met Mickey and Minnie and Tinkerbelle, the posed photo came out at best okay, although it felt weird being told to stare at the wall... and not having a person to look at or guide the meet and greet. The remaining photos were all very poorly timed.

I cannot for the life of me know why Disney would go down this route as it just doesn't make sense and from reading here and online these boxes loose the magic. Many on here I am sure will be the same and have a special picture of a trip where they or their children have met their favourite character, this cannot be replaced by a bot.

I had complained to guest relations on our trip about this and did show them our photos, but I feel this seems to be falling on deaf ears as in the last couple days they have been added to the Anna and Elsa, Princess locations at fairy-tale hall. I doubt the dis team will see this post but is their a way we can look to have this issue raised on the show as I know it is a huge concern and something everyone is not happy about.
I won’t buy photo pass until real human photographers return. This is might be the dumbest of many dumb ideas during the Bob Chapek era. The great kid and family pictures you could get at WDW were one of the best things about the place.

Last edited:
I can see them testing something like this for some characters, but absolutely not Town Square Mickey (or really any Mickey). I’m betting that location was one of the only ones with a wall directly across from the photo spot—many of them are open to the queue. But still—find somewhere else to rig up a test. The primo photo is not the place.

I can see them testing something like this for some characters, but absolutely not Town Square Mickey (or really any Mickey). I’m betting that location was one of the only ones with a wall directly across from the photo spot—many of them are open to the queue. But still—find somewhere else to rig up a test. The primo photo is not the place.
They are doing it with Mickey and Minnie at the Town Square Theater right now. It isn’t a test, every photo with a character is either already or in the process of being converted to the computer camera box.

They are doing it with Mickey and Minnie at the Town Square Theater right now. It isn’t a test, every photo with a character is either already or in the process of being converted to the computer camera box.
I understand they’re doing it now. I’m saying I think it’s a terrible idea and I hope they don’t make it permanent, particularly for Mickey.

I understand they’re doing it now. I’m saying I think it’s a terrible idea and I hope they don’t make it permanent, particularly for Mickey.
I just can’t see how anyone who really understands the parks green lighted this. It is just completely ruins one of the best and the most long lasting park experience. The great pictures their living breathing photographers captured were advertisement for the parks that they made money off of. It is a completely short sighted action that will cost them money instead of saving them anything.

Wow! Anyone have an up to date list of which places have these photo boxes? Also, is there still an attendant in the room that will take pics with my phone?

I wonder if this will make lines for characters longer. Now that I know Photopass is no good, I will make the handler CM take photos on my phone and then stand there to check them before I leave.

In the past I would’ve just trusted the CM with the camera because they are a professional.

I would love to see this as a topic on the shows. Memory maker is not worth the cost if character pictures are all going to be taken with these stupid boxes. The quality is pathetic. I’ll stick to having the handler use my phone! And what happens if the box is malfunctioning. If no one is monitoring it how many groups would lose their pictures before someone realizes there’s an issue?

Wow! Anyone have an up to date list of which places have these photo boxes? Also, is there still an attendant in the room that will take pics with my phone?

so far I know of:

- Launch bay (BB-8 and Kylo-Re/Darth Vader)
- Tinker Bell on Main St
- Mickey on Main St
- Princess Fairytale Hall
- Summer Haus for Anna and Elsa

(not sure if all are active yet but at least boxes reported at all)

I would expect other inside character meets to get them too

I would love to see this as a topic on the shows. Memory maker is not worth the cost if character pictures are all going to be taken with these stupid boxes. The quality is pathetic. I’ll stick to having the handler use my phone! And what happens if the box is malfunctioning. If no one is monitoring it how many groups would lose their pictures before someone realizes there’s an issue?

I already sent Disney a note that we will not be buying memory maker for our next trip because of this. A bit of a bummer as I do think some of the new ones installed in Galaxy's Edge (the 360 degree one and the super zoom one) are pretty cool, but oh well

I think the best way to message them is with our wallets - if enough people stop paying for memory maker (and tell them this is the reason why) I htink that would have the biggest impact (even though I don't expect it to really do anything)

I've seen people complaining about these boxes on many different Disney forums, and I'm dreading them for our next trip. I hope the DIS talks about it and Disney realizes what a mistake it is.

Yeah I'm not at all happy about this change. I'm going to assume the automated photo only takes one. I got a minimum of 5 pictures at each character that we went to. Not only will the pictures be horrible because obviously a machine doesn't know if your young child is looking or not, but it also decreased the value of having memory maker at all because now you're not getting as many photos. Some of my favorite pictures are the ones when my kids first go up to the characters and give them a big hug or are just looking up at them in awe.

Although I don't know when my next trip will be I'm hoping this is changed by then.

Truth be told, we've had some Photopass CMs that were no better than some of these boxes. But if that's the best they can produce with the box then that just plain stinks.

But if this is going to be the way it is, based on the pictures I've seen I think it would help (not completely resolve the issue) if they added additional boxes at each M&G to capture different angles. Maybe 3 different boxes to catch the standard "everyone smile at the camera" and a couple others to capture the initial introductory period (from the Characters' POV) so you can see the guests' reactions.

unsure if this is in direct relation to the cutting back of photographers, but during my trip in august there were times where in epcot characters came out without a photopass photographer. looking at the quality of the camera box, i'm fine not buying a photopass and just making a deal and taking photos for the people behind us.

Don't spend the money on these horrible photos and they will switch back to real people that can truly capture the magical moments.

Ugh, I'm really struggling with this! Our upcoming trip is once-in-a-lifetime for half of the group, and I can't stand the idea of NOT doing photopass. But, you're right, if we keep buying it, they'll keep switching to more boxes. I like the idea of a little extra thanks to the CM photographers that are there. I'll also be sure to complain to guest services...but I don't think I can get away with not purchasing on this trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter