Automatic flush toilets

We’re going to Disney next week and my daughter is TERRIFIED of automatic flush toilets. Covering the sensor doesn’t work. She will literally hold her bladder for the entire day rather than go in one with auto-flush. Does anyone know where there are regular flush toilets at Disney, esp. epcot? Or a site I can find that at?
Should the Post-It idea not work for you for whatever reason perhaps check Disney's Autism page and see if there's a list there of manual flush toilets.

Last edited:
For YEARS I always carried post-its in my purse for this very reason. Kids are squirmy, and it's very disconcerting for the toilet to flush when they're in the middle of using it. Post-its work like a charm - my husband used to have a stack of 4 or 5 in his wallet in case he was the one who had to take her to use the bathroom somewhere. It's nice when something so easy to carry works so well!

If only people would have flushed the toilet on their own, there would have been no need for auto flush.
The people who have their own issues flushing toilets are partly to blame for the auto flush toilets. but the other part of the equation is water consumption. In many parts of the country water costs have gone through the roof and property owners are working hard to keep usage down.

Hi everyone! Thanks for your feedback! I found a different pages that address this issue and here is what I found in case anyone else needs this information!

THE FOLLOWING ARE LOCATIONS THAT HAVE MANUAL FLUSH TOILETS!

Magic Kingdom

AAA Kiosk on Main Street, U.S.A. (South of City Hall)
Plaza Pavillion
Tiki Room
Hungry Bear Restaurant (not urinals)
Matterhorn Way/Path to Alice (not urinals)
Village Haus (not urinals)
Big Thunder BBQ
Tom Sawyer's Island - Mill Dock
Tom Sawyer's Island – Fort
Adventureland: Pirates of the Caribbean: located near the ride exit.
Frontierland: Splash Mountain, near the ride exit, under the railroad depot.
Fantasyland: Castle: Cinderella's Royal Table restaurant lower level.
Fantasyland: Rapunzel's rest area between It's A Small World and the Haunted Mansion..
Storybook Circus: Walt Disney Railroad Train Station restrooms.

Epcot-In the Odyssey center just before World Showcase. (baby care centers)
• Spaceship Earth East: After you enter the park on the left-hand side of Spaceship Earth
• In Future World West, across from The Land.
• In Future World East, across from Test Track.
• Showcase Plaza Refreshment Port: On the right, before Canada.
• To the right of American Adventure theater.
• To the right of Germany.
• In Norway, across from the Viking ship.

Hollywood Studios: All toilets are auto-flush except for the ones located at the stroller rental area near the park entrance.

Animal Kingdom
• In Discovery Island, across from Flame Tree Barbecue near the bridge before crossing into Dinoland.
• In Discovery Island at the First Aid center
• In Dinoland next to Chester and Hester's Dinosaur Treasures
• Between Everest and Kali River Rapids in Asia
• In Asia on the left before the entrance to Maharajah Jungle Trek
• In Asia inside the Maharajah Jungle Trek as you exit the Bat House.
• At Rafki's Planet Watch at the conservation station.
• In Africa near the Mombasa Marketplace
• In Africa at the Harambe Theater restrooms
• In Pandora on the left past the merchandise kiosk
• In Pandora between the Pongu Pongu beverage kisok and the Satu'li Canteen

Hi everyone! Thanks for your feedback! I found a different pages that address this issue and here is what I found in case anyone else needs this information!

THE FOLLOWING ARE LOCATIONS THAT HAVE MANUAL FLUSH TOILETS!

Magic Kingdom

AAA Kiosk on Main Street, U.S.A. (South of City Hall)
Plaza Pavillion
Tiki Room
Hungry Bear Restaurant (not urinals)
Matterhorn Way/Path to Alice (not urinals)
Village Haus (not urinals)
Big Thunder BBQ
Tom Sawyer's Island - Mill Dock
Tom Sawyer's Island – Fort
Adventureland: Pirates of the Caribbean: located near the ride exit.
Frontierland: Splash Mountain, near the ride exit, under the railroad depot.
Fantasyland: Castle: Cinderella's Royal Table restaurant lower level.
Fantasyland: Rapunzel's rest area between It's A Small World and the Haunted Mansion..
Storybook Circus: Walt Disney Railroad Train Station restrooms.

I wouldn’t count on that MK list being accurate. About half of these locations aren’t even in WDW, but are in DL out in California.

I agree that list is out of date. For Epcot, they put in new bathrooms in both Norway and America since that list was made. They're also renovating the refreshment port one.

The list is not accurate. Hollywood Studios has manual flush at ABC Commissary restaurant. If the Epcot baby centre mentioned is the one right beside where Daisy meets, it’s now auto flush.

get your kid some earplugs or headphones so there is less noise. I use earplugs myself and while i was reading your post op how blocking the red dot does not work i was think just get earplugs.

I just want to say that I feel your pain. Until this year, fear of the flush was a big factor in our vacations. My daughter is now 8 and somehow magically it doesn’t matter anymore.
The one piece of wisdom that I wish I could have internalized - it’s not the end of the world if she has an accident. It’s not ideal but it happens and it has happened at Disney millions of times (many of them on the monorail, judging by the smell....) Take stickers, encourage her to use them, but if she holds it (mine went 17 hours on a car trip without using the potty once), she holds it. If she tries to hold it and doesn’t, oh well. Have her carry a backpack with a change of clothes (including shoes and aocks

I‘m going to venture a guess that tough love won’t work here. I have learned the hard way, you can’t make anyone use the bathroom. Try not to worry too much. And rejoice when you find a manual flush potty.

Assuming there are no special needs issues here, sometimes it is better to just make your child tough it out rather than catering to every off the wall fear or request they come up with.
"Off the wall fear"??? Really???
It might be okay to work toward making a child unafraid of something, but while on a Disney trip, this is not the place to push this.

"Off the wall fear"??? Really???
It might be okay to work toward making a child unafraid of something, but while on a Disney trip, this is not the place to push this.
I agree, and it’s a very common fear. However, I’d be working on it at home and try and sort it out beforehand.

If anybody finds themselves without post-its you can also wet a piece of toilet paper with some spit and stick it over the sensor - it’s not terribly dignified but not much is when you have a three year old.

The trend is only in like amusment parks around here and public toilets ( think large banks of toilets). So that makes it harder to teach you kid, additionally, try doing it as a dad with a daughter. Not as many places have familly bathrooms. And at 5 and 6 she wanted to use the correct bathroom. Needless to say , the women gave me dirty looks as i stood outside the bathroom door with my back aginst the wall. This supsided after a few yells out for daddy( sometimes) other times it was me yelling in to see what was happining after a long while. My daughter only told me this year at 8 yo that she was afriad of the flush toilets. I had no idea as i was outside the rest room. So whats easy for some may not be so easy for others.

The trend is only in like amusment parks around here and public toilets ( think large banks of toilets). So that makes it harder to teach you kid, additionally, try doing it as a dad with a daughter. Not as many places have familly bathrooms. And at 5 and 6 she wanted to use the correct bathroom. Needless to say , the women gave me dirty looks as i stood outside the bathroom door with my back aginst the wall. This supsided after a few yells out for daddy( sometimes) other times it was me yelling in to see what was happining after a long while. My daughter only told me this year at 8 yo that she was afriad of the flush toilets. I had no idea as i was outside the rest room. So whats easy for some may not be so easy for others.
I think all 5 of my kids were afraid of the flush early on, to various degrees. Potty training started around 2 1/2, so by the time they were old enough to go alone, they had gotten over their fear (3 girls, 2 boys, so when with DH or I were alone with them we had the opposite sex issue). I was a SAHM, they were all close in age and I took them to target, Kohl’s, Costco, the mall, zoo - all with automatic flush toilets. There were many times I had several of them in the stall with me, scared.

Fireworks were much harder because they only came to town once a year. DH and I took them every year, I’d walk home with those who cried. I remember being bummed but not surprised having to leave Wishes immediately with two 4 year olds in tears. I wish I had more opportunities to expose them to fireworks.

My 5 year old still has issues with automatic flush toilets. The ones at Disney are especially loud too. I always wanted to bring post it's (but never remember the day of). At times, I held my hands over his ears while he used to toilet, which does the trick in a pinch. He is pretty much over it now, but there was drama there for awhile. It is a common fear for kids.

Maybe try to work on her learning there ok?. Get a noise machine and have her hit it Everytime she flushes. I understand it's easier to adjust and let her be scared but 90% of places these days have auto toilets. The only thing that works is covering the sensor but if she's to smart for that than you might spend half the trip looking for a toilet. :/
I totally agree. Much easier and more productive especially in the long run to help your kiddo adapt and adjust to the outside world, as opposed to trying to avoid everything. I think having her hit a noise machine to get her used to the sound is awesome as it gives her the control and empowers her to start feeling comfortable with the loud sounds.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter