Automatic Hotel Room Doors at Which Hotels?

Groot

I am Groot
I’m going to be staying at the Wilderness Lodge Villas (Boulder Ridge). Now, I stayed in the Copper Creek section (not in one of those insanely expensive cabins, although it WOULD BE NICE, lol.) We stayed in a handicap accessible room because I rent a scooter for the week (from Buena Vista) every year that I go (mainly as a fail safe in case they run out of scooters at the park and I’m stuck waiting for who knows how long til I get one.) Now, one of the features that the Copper Creek room had that I FELL IN LOVE WITH was the automatic door that was activated by a button in the hotel room. (On the outside all you had to do was swip the door with your bracelet, card, (and now cell phone, believe it or not.) and the door would automatically swing open so that you could get either a stroller, manual wheelchair, powerchair, or scooter into the room with no one else needed to help you.

I don’t know if Boulder Ridge’s room got remodeled recently and now their handicap rooms have this automatic door feature or if it’s only certain resorts and they’re going to introduce them over time.

I’m going to be staying at the Wilderness Lodge Villas (Boulder Ridge). Now, I stayed in the Copper Creek section (not in one of those insanely expensive cabins, although it WOULD BE NICE, lol.) We stayed in a handicap accessible room because I rent a scooter for the week (from Buena Vista) every year that I go (mainly as a fail-safe in case they run out of scooters at the park and I’m stuck waiting for who knows how long til I get one.) Now, one of the features that the Copper Creek room had that I FELL IN LOVE WITH was the automatic door that was activated by a button in the hotel room. (On the outside all you had to do was swipe the door with your bracelet, card, (and now cell phone, believe it or not.) and the door would automatically swing open so that you could get either a stroller, manual wheelchair, powerchair, or scooter into the room with no one else needed to help you.

I don’t know if Boulder Ridge’s room got remodeled recently and now their handicap rooms have this automatic door feature or if it’s only certain resorts and they’re going to introduce them over time.

That's great to hear. Although I have no problems opening the resort room doors unless I am holding something in my hand that might spill or fall like food from the food court.

I wonder if Disney would spend all of that money on all of their resorts including the Pop Century Resorts handicap/accessible rooms?

For many reasons, I don't believe that they would. Maybe for the Disney Vacation Club resort handicap/accessible rooms.

For example, the cost for keeping the mechanisms working every day including the push buttons.

Last edited:

Our HA room at the Contemporary had this. It was a room with a roll in shower. I would imagine all similarly designated rooms at all WDW resorts have this door feature.

Our HA room at the Contemporary had this. It was a room with a roll in shower. I would imagine all similarly designated rooms at all WDW resorts have this door feature.

That is good to hear.

My handicap/accessible room with a roll-in shower did not have an automatic door opener. But it was at a Disney value resort at Pop Century.

I believe that you will only find the "automatic" doors at the Deluxes, and the DVC Resorts.

I have never seen them at a Value or Moderate Resort.

My only direct experience with one was at Poly; while it was lovely, it took quite a while for the door to close, and even then it didn't close completely. At the time, I was not aware that this was not norm, so I didn't alert the Engineering staff at Poly. I think it was @SueM in MN or @lanejudy who told me that was not "normal" behavior for an auto door on a Resort room in their experience!

Having said that, yes - they are lovely, but I would be surprised if we ever see them "trickle down" to any Resort beyond the Deluxes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter