Availability for Christmas time at 7 & 11 months?

I'm no expert in the ins and out of booking, but just to mention use year. We tend to go the same time as you. We have a Dec. use year and at times that has caused us issues. You can't book online crossing use years. The year we have a trip starting on Nov 30. I couldn't book a whole week. I was in a panic trying to get a standard studio at 11 months. But I did get it, going day by day and stalking.
Yes, that is definitely another consideration. If your intent is to go mostly during the high demand season in Oct, Nov or Dec, the best use year is Sep or Aug

Thanks for the tip on use year! We'll definitely do Sep or Aug.

If we were to do AKL we'd do either standard or savannah studio (not value), so it seems like AKL would be a good option (we'd still book at 11 months). Love the lower points as well. The only thing holding me back is the transportation to parks and the room locations to bus stops and lobby- I've been doing some research and it seems like the buses are great and the resort isn't as far out as it seems. We use a combination of Disney's transportation and Uber/Lyft. We haven't stayed at AKL before, but are planning on it soon to check it out.

BLT seems too risky for the time period we want to go. I don't think I want to deal with the stress each year. Poly seems like the best option if we want to be on the monorail, so we'll have to do more research on that resort.

Riviera with a fixed year is an excellent option. Thanks for more info on that! We're thinking we'd go 2 out of 3 years, so on the year we skip we could cancel our fixed week and then for the following year use the banked points to get a second studio for when we bring family. Would this work?

IMO bus transportation from AKL is just as good or even better than most. It doesn't share with other resorts (like Poly/VGF/BLT/WL) and there's not lots of internal stops like OKW/SSR. It's faster to three of the four parks than any of the monorail resorts or Wilderness Lodge, and is only '"far" from MK (you're talking about an extra 5-10 mins).

Agreed that Poly could be another good option, walking distance to TTC is great and you'll be fine at 11 months for studios anytime. Just a matter if whether the extra point cost/ buy-in cost is worth it to you. (One downside, Poly has some of the lamest Christmas decorations if that's important to you. AKL definitely has it beat there)

Last edited:
IMO bus transportation from AKL is just as good or even better than most. It doesn't share with other resorts (like Poly/VGF/BLT/WL) and there's not lots of internal stops like OKW/SSR. It's faster to three of the four parks than any of the monorail resorts or Wilderness Lodge, and is only '"far" from MK (you're talking about an extra 5-10 mins).

So glad to hear this! I've read that the walks from rooms to the bus stop and/or lobby can be quite long. Have you found this to be true? Do you know how likely it is to get a room location request fulfilled so that the walk isn't as long?

So glad to hear this! I've read that the walks from rooms to the bus stop and/or lobby can be quite long. Have you found this to be true? Do you know how likely it is to get a room location request fulfilled so that the walk isn't as long?

At Kidani the walk can definitely be long if you're at one of the ends. Last trip we got upgraded to a Grand Villa which was amazing, but it was literally the LAST room as far as you can possibly get from the lobby. It was kind of comical how long the walk was but Kidani has an incredible African art collection throughout all of the hallways so there's always something to look at. Jambo the walk never feels long to me.

In my experience, I almost never get my room requests for any DVC resort. DVC operates at basically 100% occupancy 365 days a year so someone needs to be checking out of the section you requested on your check-in day.

Riviera with a fixed year is an excellent option. Thanks for more info on that! We're thinking we'd go 2 out of 3 years, so on the year we skip we could cancel our fixed week and then for the following year use the banked points to get a second studio for when we bring family. Would this work?

Yes, that is a viable plan. But, recognize that the year you need that second studio, you will need to book it when the 11 month window opens up.

Agreed that Poly could be another good option, walking distance to TTC is great and you'll be fine at 11 months for studios anytime. Just a matter if whether the extra point cost/ buy-in cost is worth it to you. (One downside, Poly has some of the lamest Christmas decorations if that's important to you. AKL definitely has it beat there)
Even bigger downside to Polynesian is that they only have studios and bungalows. Bungalows are really point hogs with only two real beds and one sleeper sofa and two murphy beds. Studios are just studios, not even a reason to buy DVC in my opinion. We bought our DVC points for the one bedrooms. I can book any hotel with cash easily and a studio isn't even as good as a hotel room.

Poly has some of the lamest Christmas decorations if that's important to you.
😂
*BLT raises hand sheepishly*
... but has a boat to WL ...

Another thought - if you ever think you may grow your family, BLT has some of the smallest studios, but its 1BR are among the loveliest. Walking to MK beats the monorail any day.

FWIW - I was able to book a BLT 2br std at 11 mo to the minute for Thanksgiving (Tues-Sunday), but I got the last one. President's Week in February is moderately high demand (princess half marathon weekend is after President's weekend), and even BLT LV studios were gone by 9 months, although I think they opened up a bit later.

😂
*BLT raises hand sheepishly*
... but has a boat to WL ...

Another thought - if you ever think you may grow your family, BLT has some of the smallest studios, but its 1BR are among the loveliest. Walking to MK beats the monorail any day.

FWIW - I was able to book a BLT 2br std at 11 mo to the minute for Thanksgiving (Tues-Sunday), but I got the last one. President's Week in February is moderately high demand (princess half marathon weekend is after President's weekend), and even BLT LV studios were gone by 9 months, although I think they opened up a bit later.
BLT one bedroom has nothing on GFV one bedroom. Now that is one gorgeous villa. Until they change out the furniture at BLT, I won't use my cheap OKW points there in a one bedroom. That sofa was awful and the brown, wooden side chair was the most uncomfortable chair I ever sat in. The only decent chair was the sleeper chair.

BLT one bedroom has nothing on GFV one bedroom. Now that is one gorgeous villa.
BLT 1br, especially standard, is a great points value though. Especially being walking distnace from MK, having the extra bath, and sometimes fireworks views. And TOTWL. Don't get me wrong, I own at both BLT and VGF, so obviously love them both. For the stroller set, BLT's location can't be beat.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!