Average age to buy into DVC?

Ugf1189

Earning My Ears
Im curious to know what the average age is to buy into DVC because my fiancé & I are wondering if we bought in too soon. I'm 27 & she's 29. Did we jump in to early?

I think someone did a survey on this a while back. I don't have a like to it.

It all depends on you, your likes, your plans, your budget.

You might be a little young to attend the association meetings though, attendees tend to me older. :-)

:earsboy: Bill

we were both 32 when we bought in. we were looking at it 3 years prior though. its all situational.

It is not so much age. It is financial readiness.
1) Do you love Disney and want to come often?
2) Have you paid off student loans, if any?
3) Do you pay credit cards off in full each month?
4) Are you contributing fully to your retirement plan?
5) If you have kids or plan to have kids, have you started saving for their college?
6) If after paying all your monthly obligations you have plenty of disposable income?
7) You have a rainy day fund in case of an emergency such as job loss?
8) You can buy DVC without financing

If you can answer yes to all these questions, (and I know people your age who can), then DVC is a great deal and can bring a lot of happy memories for your family.

To put it another way, if you don't know how you are going to pay for your kid's college in 2034, then why are you buying a hotel room in 2034? And if you don't know how you will retire in 2057, why are you buying a hotel room in 2057? But once these are locked and loaded, DVC is a great way to spend your leisure dollars.

Last edited:
I bought my first timeshare at the age of 29 - so age-wise I think you are good (I have to say that right :groom:)

But it's different for everyone, you have to feel and be ready.

But I do think (have no evidence) that the average buyer would be older hence you need to be in that place in life where you can see the value of owning and using it.

I was 25 and hubby (fiancé) was 29 when we bought our resale contract.
We had to buy in after spending almost $2,000 on a room at Pop. I couldn't imagine spending that kind of money again on a room. We got a great OKW contract for $64/point for 150 points. We wouldn't go down as often as we do without it.

I don't think there is an age factor. Like others mentioned there are a number of factors in life. Some wait until they have little ones, others buy before they have kids and I am sure there are plenty of retirees who buy for either their use or for taking grandkids. Some want to wait until they have the cash saved to purchase others who are younger might be more apt to finance. I think age could play into where people buy. My speculation is that someone younger would lean towards the resorts with the longer contracts and someone older might be open to any contract. We bought just before I turned 40 -- we had the cash we picked a resort with a fairly longer expiration.

You shouldn't put an age on when you should or shouldn't buy. It is really a financial decision as to when you are ready and able to take on the commitment. There is a whole element of research in knowing that you understand the system enough to buy in.

This is a great rundown of the decision tree I went through. For years we wanted to buy in, but the opportunity cost of DVC vs say saving for kids college was too high. Once all the boxes are checked though, it was rewarding to buy without any hang up financially.

One (advantage?) to buying young are those opportunity costs have not materialized yet. Having 0 or 1 kids, you don't realize you have to save $20k a year in 529s to pay for college like you do if you have 3+. Same with retirement, it's much further away when you are 24 than when you are 40. Because of that it might actually make the decision to buy in at a younger age easier if you have cash....but then I guess catch-up with you later.

I presume DVC is like other optional purchases. It's a blessing if you are in the position to afford it, and a curse if you are over extended and can't make trips/dues.

My ages for buying were 38, 39, 39, 40. So I guess 39 was the average for me : )

This is a great rundown of the decision tree I went through. For years we wanted to buy in, but the opportunity cost of DVC vs say saving for kids college was too high. Once all the boxes are checked though, it was rewarding to buy without any hang up financially.

One (advantage?) to buying young are those opportunity costs have not materialized yet. Having 0 or 1 kids, you don't realize you have to save $20k a year in 529s to pay for college like you do if you have 3+. Same with retirement, it's much further away when you are 24 than when you are 40. Because of that it might actually make the decision to buy in at a younger age easier if you have cash....but then I guess catch-up with you later.

I presume DVC is like other optional purchases. It's a blessing if you are in the position to afford it, and a curse if you are over extended and can't make trips/dues.
Your profile lists you as 16???? Is that correct and you are buying DVC?
Denise

No hard data, but I'm guessing late 30s early 40s.

And the average age is going to be higher than the median age.

Ha...was 16 21 years ago. Looks like you can't change the birthday without the admin.

Just bought this year, so 37.

I bought when I was 32

20k a year is a bit steep . Unless your paying for Ivy League.

Well it looks like I might be one of the youngest ;)
I bought when I was 20 and I am 21 now. We love Disney and are from the U.K so it made sense for us to buy into it and I put it on a 0% credit card for 24 months so I can pay it back monthly :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts