Avoiding anything Disneyland

Disneylandfan85

Mouseketeer
Has anyone else been so devastated by Disneyland's ongoing closure that they have refused to have anything to do with it while it's closed, such as not wear clothes, listen to music, watch videos, etc.? I'm doing those things, and I have very little confidence in the park's reopening. I'm worried it could never reopen. It was such a big part of my life that I can't seem to have anything to do with it. The alleged reopening on July 17th had given me some hope, but after it was canceled, that made me go back to basically where we were in March, with me wanting as little to do with the park as possible while it's closed. This is the equivalent of going through a breakup or a divorce and you try and purge yourself of anything having to do with your other.

Disneyland will reopen. Why would it not? Literally every other Disney theme park around the world has reopened. We will get there eventually.

And no, I have not done what you have. I've basically done the opposite. It helps keep the Disney magic alive for us.

Disneyland will reopen. Why would it not? Literally every other Disney theme park around the world has reopened. We will get there eventually.

The problem is that it has never been closed for this long before. And it's losing money being kept closed. It's not going to be pretty when the quarterly stock meeting comes out this August.

And no, I have not done what you have. I've basically done the opposite. It helps keep the Disney magic alive for us.

The reason I haven't been doing it is because it's just too painful for me.

The problem is that it has never been closed for this long before. And it's losing money being kept closed. It's not going to be pretty when the quarterly stock meeting comes out this August.

The reason I haven't been doing it is because it's just too painful for me.

Yeah, Disney is losing a ton of money. They still have a ton more and as a company, they are valued very highly. It will be a rough several years for the stockholders. Eventually, they will bounce back. This is certainly not the first financial setback for the company. Smarter people than you and I are working furiously to make sure the company keeps its head above water. Don't worry about it. This is not an extinction level event.

I’ve never done any of those things, so there is nothing to change. But I get what you mean.
It has been a long Time, but it somehow feels longer. I’m with Dlgal, they will bounce back.

Yeah, Disney is losing a ton of money. They still have a ton more and as a company, they are valued very highly. It will be a rough several years for the stockholders. Eventually, they will bounce back. This is certainly not the first financial setback for the company. Smarter people than you and I are working furiously to make sure the company keeps its head above water. Don't worry about it. This is not an extinction level event.

The problem is, without getting too political, Disneyland in particular, along with all other amusement parks in the state, are at the mercy of the California government in Sacramento, which has apparently been spooked by the spike in COVID cases, forcing another shutdown. While they will come down eventually, that doesn't mean things will start reopening sooner than later, if New York is any indication. Right now, their cases are currently all but nil, but they're still locked down, I believe. I have a feeling something like that will happen in California as well (until they get a vaccine which can prevent cases from spiking yet again), which means parks will not reopen until at least 2021, if not later.

Frankly (back on topic), it's actually not easy to avoid Disneyland-related things here, because I have many t-shirts with at least the Disneyland logo on it (if not Disneyland locales/characters). On the rare occasions I have worn them, I felt rather ashamed of doing so, though I tried not to show it.

The problem is, without getting too political, Disneyland in particular, along with all other amusement parks in the state, are at the mercy of the California government in Sacramento, which has apparently been spooked by the spike in COVID cases, forcing another shutdown. While they will come down eventually, that doesn't mean things will start reopening sooner than later, if New York is any indication. Right now, their cases are currently all but nil, but they're still locked down, I believe. I have a feeling something like that will happen in California as well (until they get a vaccine which can prevent cases from spiking yet again), which means parks will not reopen until at least 2021, if not later.

Frankly (back on topic), it's actually not easy to avoid Disneyland-related things here, because I have many t-shirts with at least the Disneyland logo on it (if not Disneyland locales/characters). On the rare occasions I have worn them, I felt rather ashamed of doing so, though I tried not to show it.

Yeah, I'm aware of what is happening in the state. I live 15 minutes away from Disneyland.

Maybe DL won't open until 2021. It will still eventually reopen.

At this point, what's another 5 months?

Yeah, I'm aware of what is happening in the state. I live 15 minutes away from Disneyland.

Maybe DL won't open until 2021. It will still eventually reopen.

At this point, what's another 5 months?

I have been going to Disneyland about once a year. I have already conceded that I may not be going this year, but just the fact that Disneyland may be closed until next year is something else. The thing that frustrates me is that I have no idea how it can survive, because it has never, ever been this closed for this long a time before. I have heard that Disney's coffers could be down to $6 billion come September, which is unsustainable.

And when (if) it does reopen, would they treat it as a brand-new park that has never opened before? Because I would think they would want to do something about it when it reopens.

Not exactly like that, because I am in Europe and Disneyland Paris is my homepark, which open again. But I do get what you mean.
I went last weekend (AP holder) to Disneyland Paris, 10 days after reopening. In the days leading up to it, I had all my social media filled with fan pages to see what was happening, what could I expect. Now that I have been, and it was a great visit, I have removed everything from my social media again. Now that figures are rising in Europe, negative travel advisories, I am terrified that they will close again. Seeing too much Disneypark on my newsfeed makes me feel sad that I cannot go on a whim.

I do not worry about the park closing indefinitely or wondering how it would survive. That is so beyond my control or influence, not worth it to spend my energy on. I can only hope, wish and dream. I have to trust that Disney's pockets are deep enough, or that there would come support from wealthy people. It is such a part of US history, I think people will try to rescue it if absolutely needed.

Disneyland Paris had a small ceremony to celebrate the reopening, but it was private. They did release the footage on Youtube. It is hard to do something public because all the measures (only a very small portion of the guests inside would be able to see it), and also, how appropriate is it with the amount of lives this has cost.

Can Disneyland even survive being closed indefinitely before Disney decides it's not worth it anymore and announces that it's never reopening?

Can Disneyland even survive being closed indefinitely before Disney decides it's not worth it anymore and announces that it's never reopening?
Why do you think this doomsday scenario will happen? Why not focus on the positive: Besides Disneyland is a landmark and a national treasure, it generates 5.7 billion dollar in revenue for Southern California in 2015. It's not just for the 28.000 CMs who work for Disneyland, but also for everything around it, hotels, other attractions, restaurants. 'Deciding it's not worth it' is not just Disney's decision but the entire region.
https://publicaffairs.disneyland.co...-7-billion-for-southern-california-economy-2/
We do not have the information on what Disneyland can or cannot do, what their funds are. If you keep focussing on the negative, you make yourself crazy. Don't make it any harder on yourself than it is :) If it's easier for you, just avoid all things Disney, including the Dis. There is nothing wrong with taking a time out.

Why do you think this doomsday scenario will happen? Why not focus on the positive: Besides Disneyland is a landmark and a national treasure, it generates 5.7 billion dollar in revenue for Southern California in 2015. It's not just for the 28.000 CMs who work for Disneyland, but also for everything around it, hotels, other attractions, restaurants. 'Deciding it's not worth it' is not just Disney's decision but the entire region.
https://publicaffairs.disneyland.co...-7-billion-for-southern-california-economy-2/
We do not have the information on what Disneyland can or cannot do, what their funds are. If you keep focussing on the negative, you make yourself crazy. Don't make it any harder on yourself than it is :) If it's easier for you, just avoid all things Disney, including the Dis. There is nothing wrong with taking a time out.

The problem is that Disneyland has been a part of my life since I was born, so it's very hard to just avoid it. And also, the negative of it is that why Disneyland may be a landmark and a national treasure, to the CA government, it's still considered an amusement park, and thus "nonessential", which is why it's closed. While COVID cases are likely to go down eventually, it doesn't mean things will reopen again so soon. Look at New York. Right now, cases there are almost nil, but I don't believe they have reopened anything yet. I have a feeling that something similar is going to happen in California.

Furthermore, I have autism. It's not like I enjoy focusing on the negative. What gets me is the same thing that's causing the whole drama for the government in the first place: the unknown. As someone autistic, I despise the unknown.

I brought this up with my family time and time again, and my mother, who loves Disneyland, was getting fed up with my concerns. On an article of MiceChat (from July 17th, I might add), she showed me some pics of people working on various projects at Disneyland to show that it was not being ignored. Basically she was trying to put an end to my concerns about this. But as great as it is that it's not being ignored and that they're doing these projects when no crowds are there, what good is it if they are doing the projects and completing them and then they must still remain closed indefinitely, pending government approval? Nothing.

I brought this up with my family time and time again, and my mother, who loves Disneyland, was getting fed up with my concerns. On an article of MiceChat (from July 17th, I might add), she showed me some pics of people working on various projects at Disneyland to show that it was not being ignored. Basically she was trying to put an end to my concerns about this. But as great as it is that it's not being ignored and that they're doing these projects when no crowds are there, what good is it if they are doing the projects and completing them and then they must still remain closed indefinitely, pending government approval? Nothing.

Okay, now that you mention you are autistic, I understand why you are stuck in this negative thinking loop. You are perseverating. I have 2 autistic teenage sons so I understand what is happening here. You need to really step away from this topic of thought and focus on something else for awhile. What else do you enjoy doing? Shift your focus. If you continue to allow your thoughts to run away like this, you may spiral into a serious depression. You need to do your best to avoid that.

Please believe me here: Disneyland WILL reopen, eventually, and it will be just as amazing as it has always been. I promise you.

Okay, now that you mention you are autistic, I understand why you are stuck in this negative thinking loop. You are perseverating. I have 2 autistic teenage sons so I understand what is happening here. You need to really step away from this topic of thought and focus on something else for awhile. What else do you enjoy doing? Shift your focus. If you continue to allow your thoughts to run away like this, you may spiral into a serious depression. You need to do your best to avoid that.

Please believe me here: Disneyland WILL reopen, eventually, and it will be just as amazing as it has always been. I promise you.

But the problem is, I don't trust the government to do what's right. And frankly, my mother thinks I'm being ridiculous to avoid Disneyland topics, to the point of her being sarcastic about it.

Do you really think it's so easy to magically change my thinking on a whim? As someone who is autistic, I can tell you it's not. I had actually spoken to my doctor about it, and he is sympathetic to my situation, saying that there's acceptance and then there's disregarding your feelings. It sounds like you want me to disregard my feelings about it.

Last edited:
But the problem is, I don't trust the government to do what's right. And frankly, my mother thinks I'm being ridiculous to avoid Disneyland topics, to the point of her being sarcastic about it.

Do you really think it's so easy to magically change my thinking on a whim? As someone who is autistic, I can tell you it's not. I had actually spoken to my doctor about it, and he is sympathetic to my situation, saying that there's acceptance and then there's disregarding your feelings. It sounds like you want me to disregard my feelings about it.

No, your feelings are valid and you shouldn't disregard them at all. However, you are fixating on one thing and it is causing you so much distress and it isn't even a "done deal" scenario (i.e. Disney hasn't come out and said they aren't reopening Disneyland ever again). Allowing your mind to go this far into negative territory over a hypothetical scenario is not healthy at all. What I am suggesting is you simply shift your mental energy to something more productive. In fact, it doesn't even have to be something productive, just different. Get into a new video game or watch some You Tube videos on a topic you find interesting or something like that. Just dive into a different obsession, if you will.

When Disneyland announces their reopening date, plan a trip with your family.

Wow! And I thought I was being a doom and gloom person. Like everybody said, Disneyland will reopen. Maybe give it like, later this year. But it's just a guess.

However, you are fixating on one thing and it is causing you so much distress and it isn't even a "done deal" scenario (i.e. Disney hasn't come out and said they aren't reopening Disneyland ever again).

The problem is that this is uncharted territory for Disneyland. It has never been closed this long before, and I was told that the attractions were not designed to go this long without being in motion (save for rehabs). And no, I don't remember who said it exactly, just that I was told about it.

The problem is that this is uncharted territory for Disneyland. It has never been closed this long before, and I was told that the attractions were not designed to go this long without being in motion (save for rehabs). And no, I don't remember who said it exactly, just that I was told about it.
Okay. Look! I know it sucks that Disneyland is closed right now, believe me, I know, but Disneyland is not going to be closed forever. It will be reopen somehow or later. You're starting to act like me when I hear the news about not only Disneyland being closed, but also the virus. I almost gave up hope, but my family comforts me to assure me it will go away soon. Rather we get the vaccine or it'll go away by itself. Anyway, why not watch some movies, listen to music, watch some cartoons, do some exercise, and pray to God to help you get through this. You'll be okay and Disneyland will be okay. I promise. Just don't be like me. It's not worth it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter