Avoiding crowds in Paris on the weekend with kids?

Baduist

Mouseketeer
Heading to DLP in June, and gonna spend 2 days in Paris right before, with our 6 and 8 years old boys.

We times it so we’re in DLP during the week, so Paris will be a weekend (Saturday and Sunday). Arriving Fri evening.

What are some good things to do and good places to eat with the kids that don’t have huge crowds? (Or strategies to avoid crowds in the weekend?)

A weekend in Paris…well what do you like to do with your children at home during weekends? It won’t be particularly crowded in June just the norm. As for food are you looking to eat as the locals do or hungry for more American fare?

Two days isn’t much time so I’m sure you’ll want to make the best of it🙂

I would avoid all the tourist areas surrounding major landmarks, Eiffel Tower, Arc de Triomphe, Notre Dame, the Louvre etc. You'll find crowds in these areas, for sure.

Always a good strategy is to ask at reception of your hotel to see if they have suggestions, what are their favourite places to eat?

My first thought is to go to Jardin du Luxembourg, they used to have a pond where you could sail little boats. And I would look at a list of museums in Paris. There are several that keep children in mind and are more hands on. Find one with a topic that interests your children.

I would avoid all the tourist areas surrounding major landmarks, Eiffel Tower, Arc de Triomphe, Notre Dame, the Louvre etc. You'll find crowds in these areas, for sure.

Always a good strategy is to ask at reception of your hotel to see if they have suggestions, what are their favourite places to eat?

My first thought is to go to Jardin du Luxembourg, they used to have a pond where you could sail little boats. And I would look at a list of museums in Paris. There are several that keep children in mind and are more hands on. Find one with a topic that interests your children.
Great thinking but this is only 48 odd hours to get the feeling of a city at least five times older than the United States.

Toy boat watching/racing, riding on the carousel, watching a puppet show (be forewarned pretty sure it’s only in French but laughter is universal) could make for a few hours at best but it’s not the place to spend an entire day in general. I think the Jardin du Luxembourg is great for family relaxation after more involved activities.
Time- limited private tours geared toward children exist with no waiting time for the Louvre or Musee d’Orsay and might be a great way to spend the morning.

Still, I didn’t volunteer a museum on purpose. Some people feel they are for older children.

A weekend in Paris…well what do you like to do with your children at home during weekends? It won’t be particularly crowded in June just the norm. As for food are you looking to eat as the locals do or hungry for more American fare?

Two days isn’t much time so I’m sure you’ll want to make the best of it🙂
Thanks!

At home we like to stay at home ;-)

In Paris - wife and loved to just “be in Paris”, walk around, and pick random place to eat as well as the occasional fancy restaurant.

First time with kids, so trying to maximize experiences / memories…. So I guess local over American?

In terms of tourist stuff the boys want to see the Eiffel, but knowing them they will be like us - would rather look at it from a cafe than actually go there and go up.

Depending on how easily your children are scared, maybe go to the Catacombs? It's unique in the world, and the crowds are limited. Only 200 people are allowed on site at a time.

@Baduist-DGD is currently living in Paris so I’ ll ask her what restaurants are current, reasonable, and near the Tour Eiffel, this week. We normally speak on Friday or Saturday🙂

We got the tickets for the Eiffel tower summit for our trip last summer and frankly I'd never recommend going up there! It was quite awful... Even with timed tickets, you had to wait in a series of long lines to enter... to ride the first elevator... the second elevator... Then got up to the top, looked around,... and waited TWO HOURS in line for the elevator down! A very rude person jumped in that line in front of us and was joined by friend after friend (and all of them seemed aggressive, we were not about to confront them). Ugh! I hated the feeling of being completely trapped up there.

If I had the trip to do over again, we'd have gone to the big park across the river to frolic on the grass and see the tower light up, instead!

Thank you so much! I appreciate it!
This is what DGD suggested for the 16th
arrondissement:

Les Marches
5 Rue de la Manutention
brassiere/bistro
http://www.lesmarches-restaurant.com/

Vin et Maree Murat
2 Rue Daumier
Specializes in fish and seafood

Le Beyritus
165 Avenue de Versailles
Great couscous; pretty sure this is a French-Arab eatery that’s a good budget stretcher. She eats here often with cousins and friends.

HTH!

If I had the trip to do over again, we'd have gone to the big park across the river to frolic on the grass and see the tower light up, instead
Should you return to Paris in the future and wish to “frolic in the park” keep in mind that Central Europeans have a different definition of park than Americans. You need to be sure you are allowed to walk or sit on the grass. I’m guessing the park you’re referring to is “the Luxembourg”; some parts are for sitting, other parts, not.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter