Aw, my Frose went back to being Rose - 2019 Food and Wine Adventure! RL Update 4/22!

Hello again everyone! Hope everyone is doing well and having a good long weekend! Sorry for the long absence, life got a bit crazy here this spring! Quit my job (finally!!!) and started a new, hopefully a bit less stressful one, and have been super busy trying to get up to speed which is tricky while working remotely. That plus trying to plan our upcoming F&W trip, which at this point may or may not happen, and sitting on the phone with Disney for over 30 hours in a three day period have kept me very busy. Fun times.

Anyways, I'm finally back and will be finishing this TR! Stay tuned, new update coming shortly!

Congratulations on your new job! 30 hours on the phone trying to sort out your trip ... :oops:. Unfortunately I've heard similar reports from others. I hate all this uncertainty. I've never done well with it and this has been quite the lesson (that I am far from mastering). Really hope our respective F&W trips can move forward!

Day 7, Part 7: We Just Can’t Stay Away From Epcot!

We had a pretty quick turnaround after the experience with mousekeeping, and ended up heading out of the room at 5:30. We were of course heading back to Epcot! Tonight was the first night of Epcot Forever and we had a special event viewing to go to!

But more on that later.

First up, another beautiful shot of the walkway from the YC.

When we entered Epcot we were happy to see the characters were out meeting by the entrance again, and had super short lines, so we decided to meet with them!

Next up, it was time for food!

We made our way over to Italy first. My mom really wanted to try the ribs, and the ravioli was calling my name! I also picked up a glass of prosecco.

The park was pretty crowded, although not as bad as the previous night, however we still couldn’t find a table so ended up eating on a trash can. What’s a food and wine trip without at least one meal on a trash can?

The food was great, the ribs just fell off the bone, yum!

Once we finished up at Italy, we made our way over to Spain. Here I got the paella and the casa wine. The wine was great, but the paella was just ok. Definitely not nearly as good at paella I’ve had in the actual Spain!

After eating the food here, neither of us were really hungry anymore, plus wanted to save a little room for the food at the event later. We decided to go check out the shops in Germany for a bit. While there we checked out their liquor store area, and were surprised to find out that you can get samples of the all the stuff they sell there! (I guess it shouldn’t be that surprising….)

So for years we’ve always found the liquor they have with the pear that grew inside the bottle fascinating, so when we found out we could try it, we jumped at the opportunity! We also ordered a sample of the pumpkin liquor….I love all things pumpkin so I was immediately sold when I saw it on the menu!

We found a table in the store and enjoyed the drinks. The pear liquor was super strong, tasty, but strong. The pumpkin liquor tasted like a PSL, which is pretty dangerous, that went down way too fast!

At this point it was getting closer to when we wanted to get in line for our event, so we started to make our way back over to France. On the way we stopped for a bit to watch Sugar Ray. My high school self was very happy about this!

We finally made our way over to France, and got to the check-in at 7:25. Even though they had said not to arrive before 7:45, we had learned the previous day that waiting until 7:45 would get you in dead last and miss out on a seat. Glad we got there when we did since a line was already forming!

Next up: Epcot Forever!

Last edited:
Congratulations on your new job! 30 hours on the phone trying to sort out your trip ... :oops:. Unfortunately I've heard similar reports from others. I hate all this uncertainty. I've never done well with it and this has been quite the lesson (that I am far from mastering). Really hope our respective F&W trips can move forward!

Thank you! Yeah, that week of trying to change hotels was a mess! We were switched to theme park view at the Contemporary, which I'm pretty excited about, although would be a bit better if they actually had fireworks! Hoping after all of that our trip is still on! At this point it's still up in the air, as much as I want to go, I do worry with my mom being older and at a higher risk. We're not so worried about being in Disney itself, but more the traveling to get there. Guess we'll see, going to make the call in August, so just a waiting game at this point. Stupid 2020.

I can't believe how inexpensive the upgrade on your flight was - if I had that opportunity, I would take it too. The way you introduced where you were staying - for some reason I thought it was going to be a haunted stay. I'm glad it wasn't.

So glad you got the Disney touch at the Boardwalk (until the housekeeping fiasco). Frankly, I don't like the trend of homogenization at the Disney resorts. If I wanted a Hilton, I would book a Hilton. I miss the Disney touches.

You and your Mom look so cute in all of these Photo Pass pictures. I can't believe all that you had to eat and drink on your first day - amazing! Hopefully the Circle of Flavors will be an option for me for my next visit, whenever that will be. I thought that the Pirate ride photo was inadvertently funny. Since everyone seemed to know where the camera was the first row did a sleepy pose causing them to lean down resulting in a clear line of sight to see you and your mom - WIN!

I love magical moments like you had with your favorite photopass photographer. It makes the trip infinitely better.

I gotta get me a cabana next time I'm at Stormalong. That looked like the perfect respite.

I really enjoyed your Halloween outfits. There was a theme, yet looking really comfortable, especially for a theme park.

I had a little bit of a different take than you regarding Epcot Forever. If you want to get a little bit of a different perspective check out my latest trip report.

You all got so many experiences accomplished on this trip, not to mention doing it without your mom's feet issues, especially the amount of Buzz Lightyear visits. Loving all the food photos from Food and Wine Festival. Even though I was visiting shortly after you I ended up with a bunch of different choices. I thought I was crazy. I'm obviously not the only one who needs to pack a lot in to my adventures.

Good luck with the new gig. I'm currently on furlough. Hopefully, people can be less selfish and I end up back to work sooner rather than later.

Keep it comin'!
Ciao!
D

Fun update! I have to say, I feel like a bit of an anthropologist reading through it. Huh ... there was a time that the parks were open, they stood in line, they met characters, they could go in stores, they had dessert parties … how interesting...

Hoping we can move back toward that "normal" sooner than later. Stupid 2020, indeed.

Congratulations on the new job!

I've heard so many horror stories of people being on hold for hours with Disney. It's so disappointing. You would have thought Disney would have had this figured out before they reopened reservations. What a way to treat your most loyal patrons! After cancelling our June trip, I was looking into Fall or Christmas. I think we'll wait it out and shoot for next year.

I hope everything works out for your trip in September. I understand your concerns for your mom. I'm in my late 50's, so not far from the higher risk category. I wonder if my years of visiting Disney are now limited, which makes me very sad. Like your mom, I'm a teacher. I'm getting the impression our corporation is hoping many of the older staff members take an early retirement. I'm not ready for that either. I never thought I would be facing some of these issues that have become our new normal. You're darn right. Stupid 2020!

I can't believe how inexpensive the upgrade on your flight was - if I had that opportunity, I would take it too. The way you introduced where you were staying - for some reason I thought it was going to be a haunted stay. I'm glad it wasn't.

Haha, that would have made for a pretty awesome TR though!

So glad you got the Disney touch at the Boardwalk (until the housekeeping fiasco). Frankly, I don't like the trend of homogenization at the Disney resorts. If I wanted a Hilton, I would book a Hilton. I miss the Disney touches.

I totally agree, I miss the super immersive theming of the resorts! Although, looking back at pictures of the BC from the 90s, the duvets did look more like something you'd find at grandma's house.... :rotfl2:

You and your Mom look so cute in all of these Photo Pass pictures. I can't believe all that you had to eat and drink on your first day - amazing! Hopefully the Circle of Flavors will be an option for me for my next visit, whenever that will be. I thought that the Pirate ride photo was inadvertently funny. Since everyone seemed to know where the camera was the first row did a sleepy pose causing them to lean down resulting in a clear line of sight to see you and your mom - WIN!

Thank you! We did have quite the food and drink experience the first day, but that's what we go for! If it weren't for F&W I don't think I could convince my mom to go so regularly! Circle of Flavor is amazing, fingers crossed you can try it someday soon!

I love magical moments like you had with your favorite photopass photographer. It makes the trip infinitely better.

Me too! The CMs make such a impact on the trip, love when they go above and beyond like that!

I gotta get me a cabana next time I'm at Stormalong. That looked like the perfect respite.

They are amazing! 100% recommend!

I really enjoyed your Halloween outfits. There was a theme, yet looking really comfortable, especially for a theme park.

Thanks!

I had a little bit of a different take than you regarding Epcot Forever. If you want to get a little bit of a different perspective check out my latest trip report.

I'll check it out!

You all got so many experiences accomplished on this trip, not to mention doing it without your mom's feet issues, especially the amount of Buzz Lightyear visits. Loving all the food photos from Food and Wine Festival. Even though I was visiting shortly after you I ended up with a bunch of different choices. I thought I was crazy. I'm obviously not the only one who needs to pack a lot in to my adventures.

Haha, we do tend to pack a lot into our trips! Every year we say we'll slow down and do less, but then Disney goes and releases all these new events that we want to do and that goes out the window!

Good luck with the new gig. I'm currently on furlough. Hopefully, people can be less selfish and I end up back to work sooner rather than later.

Thank you! I wish people would be less selfish, I'm so sick of all of this, and it seems like it will never end!

Fun update! I have to say, I feel like a bit of an anthropologist reading through it. Huh ... there was a time that the parks were open, they stood in line, they met characters, they could go in stores, they had dessert parties … how interesting...

Hoping we can move back toward that "normal" sooner than later. Stupid 2020, indeed.

Haha! That is so true! I keep looking at pictures from my vacations last year like "wow, remember what it was like to leave the house to go somewhere besides the grocery store?" Ugh, I miss those days.

Congratulations on the new job!

Thank you!

I've heard so many horror stories of people being on hold for hours with Disney. It's so disappointing. You would have thought Disney would have had this figured out before they reopened reservations. What a way to treat your most loyal patrons! After cancelling our June trip, I was looking into Fall or Christmas. I think we'll wait it out and shoot for next year.

Yeah, I'm amazed they tried to have so much happen on one day, have they not learned from the past that they can only do so much in one day!??!

I hope everything works out for your trip in September. I understand your concerns for your mom. I'm in my late 50's, so not far from the higher risk category. I wonder if my years of visiting Disney are now limited, which makes me very sad. Like your mom, I'm a teacher. I'm getting the impression our corporation is hoping many of the older staff members take an early retirement. I'm not ready for that either. I never thought I would be facing some of these issues that have become our new normal. You're darn right. Stupid 2020!

Yeah, we still don't know if we're going, but it looks less and less likely each day. It's upsetting, this would be the third vacation cancelled this year, but I totally get it. I don't want to get sick, and I certainly don't want my mom to get sick either. We're already talking about cancelling Christmas as well. I really hate this year.

Your Mousekeeping experience had me like :scared1: :sad2: I'm surprised the CM or manager didn't offer anything to make it up.

All of your food pictured are making my mouth water! I haven't been to F&W in so long and I am dying to go!

Congratulations on the new job!! I hope you love it!

Your Mousekeeping experience had me like :scared1: :sad2: I'm surprised the CM or manager didn't offer anything to make it up.

Seriously, us too!

All of your food pictured are making my mouth water! I haven't been to F&W in so long and I am dying to go!

Haha, I love going through pictures of previous festivals and remembering all the goodies. Will be doing that a lot in the next few months because *spoiler alter* we decided to cancel our F&W trip this year. 😭

Congratulations on the new job!! I hope you love it!

Thank you!

Well, it finally happened. We decided to cancel our F&W trip this year. 😭

It just didn't seem worth the risk to travel at this point with my mom's age. Plus her state requires a 2 week quarantine upon return, and since her school is still planning on doing in person classes this fall, she can't be out for 3 weeks. I'm bummed, but it's for the best.

In other news, since this is vacation #3 we have cancelled this year (will likely be 4 by years end since we probably won't be doing Christmas together this year either), we have decided once a vaccine comes out (fingers crossed!) that we are going to do a big make-up vacation and stay club level in one of the MK resorts with a theme park view room. Normally we would never spend that kind of money on a room, but we figured after this year it was time to splurge! Looking forward to planning that trip!

Ok, now back to the TR, going to wrap this one up shortly!

Day 7, Part 8: Epcot Forever!

We last left off with us arriving at the check-in for our special fireworks viewing event for the first night of Epcot Forever. We had arrived at 7:25, 20 minutes earlier than they had told us to get there, however it was good we got there when we did since there was already a line to get in!

So the event this night was held on that little bit of land between France and the UK, similar to the previous night, but this night we were on the lower level instead of the upper. Great place to view the fireworks from!

They ended up not letting us in until 7:56, so it was a bit of a wait, and an annoying one at that since people who arrived after us kept trying to push their way to the front. May have used my sharp elbows a few times there!

When they finally let us in it was like black Friday madness, everyone was pushing and shoving and trying to get to the front. I ended up getting separated from my mom with all of this, but fortunately I can be extraordinarily stubborn and have no problem blocking people from trying to cut, so managed to be one of the first dozen or so people down the stairs! I ended up snagging a table right on the railing that had a perfect view of the lagoon but was separated a bit from the main portion of the event. This ended up being perfect, it was a lot less crowded, and we had an amazing view of the show.

Soon after I snagged the table my mom made it down the stairs and met up with me. We ended up hanging out at the table for a bit to let everyone filter in and the rush to die down before heading out to get food and drinks.

I ended up being the runner while my mom held the table. I grabbed some of the desserts and some beer for my mom and myself. When I got back to the table after one of my runs, a group of guys had settled in right next to it, leaving just enough room for me to get back in. I was annoyed at first, until my mom mentioned that the guys had seen me there before and when they came to stand against the railing they told my mom that they’d make sure no one took my spot! So yeah, I need to not think the worst of people it turns out! Thanks guys for saving my spot!

It was an enjoyable evening with our snacks and drinks waiting for the show to start.

Finally it was time for the show, and as I mentioned at the very beginning of this TR, I found it to be just ok. I loved the fireworks, they were spectacular, and I loved the tapestry of nations portion, but the other parts just weren’t for me. We did have an amazing view though, and we decided on our next trip we’re going to rent one of those pontoon boats for the fireworks viewing since they have about the same view we had at the event.

After the show ended we decided to grab another round of drinks and hang out for a while to let the crowds disperse. It was a great way to end the evening, although we did miss the post Illuminations music.

Finally the crowds had died down, so we finished our drinks and made our way out of the park to go finish up our packing. :sad:

It was a great ending to a fantastic trip! Cannot wait until we can make it back!

I'm so sorry to hear you canceled your trip. :sad1: But I totally get it. If I didn't live here and have the ability to make a day trip, I don't think I'd be visiting either. LOVE the idea of an over-the-top, club-level, make-up trip!! That sounds fabulous and planning it will give you something to look forward to ... and that trip will be so much sweeter with all of the anticipation!

I'm with you - EPCOT Forever is meh. I adored Illuminations. Oh well, I look at it as it has freed up my evening dining choices as I no longer feel compelled to be in World Showcase for 9pm.

Sorry, again, about your canceled trips. I hope the next one is sooner than you think and absolutely amazing! :goodvibes

Sounds like a chaotic start to the event but then things turned around! I'm glad you enjoyed it, a nice way to finish your trip!

I'm sorry you had to cancel your trip :( But it's a smart trip and hopefully when this is over you can splurge on that big trip!!

I'm so sorry to hear you canceled your trip. :sad1: But I totally get it. If I didn't live here and have the ability to make a day trip, I don't think I'd be visiting either. LOVE the idea of an over-the-top, club-level, make-up trip!! That sounds fabulous and planning it will give you something to look forward to ... and that trip will be so much sweeter with all of the anticipation!

Yeah, it's sad, but knowing that we have an amazing trip coming up someday definitely helps! Plus, silver lining, this will save me a fortune since I don't have to board my dog for over a week now!

Also, have to admit, I'm just a tad jealous you can take day trips! Next time you're in the World say hi for me!

I'm with you - EPCOT Forever is meh. I adored Illuminations. Oh well, I look at it as it has freed up my evening dining choices as I no longer feel compelled to be in World Showcase for 9pm.

Haha, always a silver lining! I am excited to see how Harmonious is, but it'll be hard to beat Illuminations for me. I basically grew up with that show!

Sorry, again, about your canceled trips. I hope the next one is sooner than you think and absolutely amazing! :goodvibes

Thank you so much! I'm really hoping that we can do our make-up trip this spring, and then our normal F&W in September again (which is already booked!). Two trips in one year would be awesome!

Last edited:
Sounds like a chaotic start to the event but then things turned around! I'm glad you enjoyed it, a nice way to finish your trip!

Yeah, it was definitely a bit chaotic at the start, but fortunately once we were in the event it went much smoother. It was really a perfect way to end the trip!

I'm sorry you had to cancel your trip :( But it's a smart trip and hopefully when this is over you can splurge on that big trip!!

Thanks, we're sad about it, but it's for the best. Definitely helps being able to plan this crazy big trip in the future!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!