Awkward solo rides for a "grown" man.

I've done MK, EPCOT, DL and DCA by myself. Rode everything, did all the shows and parades...if anyone looked at me oddly, I didn't notice.
I'm with you on this. I don't believe people pay any attention to solo's in the Parks - they are too focused on their family and friends.

Frankly, I think they were looking at me recording every thing I saw with a Go Pro more than being a single man in the park ny himself.
I think even this is changing what with all the vloggers nowadays. People are accustom to seeing people with cameras doing "selfies". I'm taking my GoPro for the first time on my upcoming solo trip.

Hey! I am so glad I found this blog! I am in Orlando from August 8th - 27th and booked it a year ago. I thought I would be able to persuade some family or friends to join but did not have any luck. I am 31 but a big kid and always look forward to my next Florida holiday (I live in the UK). I have been to Disney many times and the fact that I would be going alone doesn't necessarily bother me. However - if anyone wanted to meet up whilst I am there that would also be great :) When are you there Steve?

I think Dumbo is the only ride I would feel weird about doing solo, personally. Everything else is totally fair game

While I'm not an adult man (gal in my 30s), I had a wonderful solo experience last year at Disneyland. I was waiting to board the Monorail at the Downtown Disney station. The driver noticed me taking my weirdo pictures of small details (like signage and architectural detail)and actually approached me. After asking me about my interest in the all the wonderful "disney details", he offered to let me ride in the cockpit! He even allowed me to take some pics in the driver seat (not in motion of course!). It really was a fantastic and magical experience that happened solely BECAUSE I was alone.

I then rode IASW alone and happily listened to the mother and daughter behind me talk about geography. I had the entire front row to myself.

It was not the longest time spent alone, but it was certainly lovely. I say you should give it a try. You might find that you LOVE going solo!

While I'm not an adult man (gal in my 30s), I had a wonderful solo experience last year at Disneyland. I was waiting to board the Monorail at the Downtown Disney station. The driver noticed me taking my weirdo pictures of small details (like signage and architectural detail)and actually approached me. After asking me about my interest in the all the wonderful "disney details", he offered to let me ride in the cockpit! He even allowed me to take some pics in the driver seat (not in motion of course!). It really was a fantastic and magical experience that happened solely BECAUSE I was alone.
I'm kind of surprised they still allow guests to ride in the front of Disneyland's monorail, after what happened at Disney World (where they still don't allow guests in front).

I did my first solo trip to Disney World last year and have another coming up in a few weeks-- I'll do pretty much anything I'm interested in solo. Did Small World a couple times (had the row to myself both times, IIRC); did Peter Pan; would've done Winnie the Pooh but its line never got short enough; did a bunch of shows and stuff. Didn't do Dumbo or the carpets, but that's more because I don't think they're worth the time. Probably the only kind of awkward thing I rode solo is 7DMT; it's always busy enough that they run it at capacity (no empty seats) and it's fairly cramped.

One thing I really haven't quite worked through is doing sit-down meals solo; I much prefer to do quick service if I'm by myself (where I can just grab my food, eat, and go). Still got a couple table-service meals on my schedule this year, though; I always have to make it to Boma once each visit, and I'm giving San Angel Inn a try this year (I love the atmosphere in there).

I go solo all the time and don’t feel awkward anywhere. If you want to know the truth, the people I look at twice and remember for years to come aren’t the ones who are simply enjoying the Disney experience in their own way. It’s the guest berating a CM because they want something the CM can’t deliver, or the parents screaming at their kids in an abusive manner -people who seem to be going out of their way to not enjoy the pixie dust. Go and enjoy Disney the way you want to!

I go solo all the time and don’t feel awkward anywhere. If you want to know the truth, the people I look at twice and remember for years to come aren’t the ones who are simply enjoying the Disney experience in their own way. It’s the guest berating a CM because they want something the CM can’t deliver, or the parents screaming at their kids in an abusive manner -people who seem to be going out of their way to not enjoy the pixie dust. Go and enjoy Disney the way you want to!
I did it once last year in DLP, and I'm doing it again in WDW in March. Didn't feel awkward at all!

As a solo male of 43 I always dreaded the weird looks/judgement of riding certain rides solo, I finally got the "courage" to ride It's a Small World solo last time I was at WDW. Didn't get weird looks... didn't heard any remarks... The only place it was awkward was in my head. Now I'm cured. :cool1:

I did Enchanted Tales with Belle solo. There were one couple and the others were families with kids. Didnt feel awkward. I just sat back and enjoyed the show. I also rode Small World, Dumbo, Astro Orbiter and Magic Carpet solo but they were during MNSSHP so the crowd was very sparse.

When Im there WITH my family, kids are still 4 and 2, I ride rides alone all the time (okay maybe not Dumbo, but I would ride PP or Small World in a second solo). Hows anyone to know your family isn't just taking a break or back at the hotel?

Following up: just got back from a week at the World solo, and I think I rode IASW at least four times by myself. Pretty much hopped on it anytime I passed it, because it never had a wait and I couldn't pass up the 10 minutes in the air conditioning.

Also did Voyage of the Little Mermaid and Winnie the Pooh-- no issues riding either solo. No Peter Pan this trip (no FP+, too long a line), and I forgot about Enchanted Tales or I would've given that a try.

The big revelation for me was that, at Disney, I don't really care what other people think about what I'm riding-- I'm likely never going to see any of these people again. So I'll ride what I want, skip what I don't, and just enjoy my vacation.

When I was at Disneyland last year I only got so far as riding the bus from my hotel by myself, which was enough. Some dude asked me if I was really going to DL by myself which made me feel creepy enough. Thankfully I was meeting family at the park. I would really like to do a quick trip sometime by myself, but that’s gonna me a minute.

Just bring a camera with you and embrace the weirdness. On the off chance anyone says something (they won't, but there's a first time for everything) just say you're doing it for your Disney food vlog, given that pretty much everyone and their grandma has one of those at this point. Have fun and do whatever you want as long as you aren't hurting others or using flash photography on the dark rides.

In well over 25 trips to WDW and DL solo, there has been only one time I felt awkward. I was riding California Screamin at California Adventure in the single rider line. I got put in the last row of a large group of apparently local 15-16 year olds and was seated with a 15-16 female. As we approached the ride picture camera, every one of them held up a condom for the picture. I wanted to shrink into the floor of the ride.

I am a 46yo single male from Texas. The first and only time I was at Disney World was when I was around 12yo with my parents. I've always wanted to go back but over the years, never found anyone to go with. So I'm planning for my birthday this year to go by myself. Unless I find a group to go with. Are there any groups that meet or travel to disney world?

My first 2 trips I was a huge Charecter fan and mostly for the Princesses because I grew up watching them, I’m 53 now and was in late 40’s first time I went to WDW.

My family wasn’t huge on meeting characters so I found myself waiting in line alone many times to meet a Charecter with my autograph book in hand. Only once while meeting Jasmine did a CM make a snide remark. If anyone else said or looked at me oddly I didn’t notice nor did I really care I was having a blast and paid to do it.

You pay good money to go and you have every right to go solo and enjoy yourself. Wear your mickey ears with pride and have FUN

Last edited:
When I was at Disneyland last year I only got so far as riding the bus from my hotel by myself, which was enough. Some dude asked me if I was really going to DL by myself which made me feel creepy enough. Thankfully I was meeting family at the park. I would really like to do a quick trip sometime by myself, but that’s gonna me a minute.

I find that DL is actually more solo friendly than WDW. You were on the bus from a hotel so I'm sure that guy has no idea, but the locals at DL embrace solo visitors. So many of them have passes and just drop in for a quick ride or two, with or without company. There are always people just taking pictures or shopping. It's just the same as going anywhere. The DL people are the best!

My first 2 trips I was a huge Charecter fan mostly the Princesses because I grew up watching them, I’m 53 now and was in late 40’s first time I went.

My family wasn’t huge on meeting characters and I found myself waiting in line alone many times to meet a Charecter with my autograph book in hand. Only once while meeting Jasmine did a CM make a snide remark. If anyone else said or looked at me oddly I didn’t notice nor did I really didn’t care I was having a blast and paid to do it.

You pay good money to go and you have every right to go solo and enjoy yourself. Wear your mickey ears with pride and have FUN

On my last trip I went to meet the princesses by myself. I even had breakfast at Akershus. I felt a bit weird at Akershus but nobody seemed to care. Only Moana made a joke "He's on the voyage without his kids!". I also met Kylo Ren. That was fun. Jasmine at Epcot seemed to be in a hurry to get me out of there (behind me was families with kids) but most were great

Gee, sorry that person made you feel creepy. Solo trips are the best! I think people are really jealous when they hear someone is going solo. You can ride what you want, eat what you want, or just people watch if you want. No compromises. I still have fun going with friends and family, but I enjoy it more on my own. I just did an 11 day stay at Pop last month, and two days family were along and the rest was solo. It was great! Looking forward to the next one in December.:cloud9:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter